Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong Vibration while Braking

8K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Chevrolet Customer Svc 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm a satisfied owner of a 2009 Malibu Hybrid, which was purchased in Spring of 2011. I haven't had any major issues as of yet, knock on wood. However, there is some concern:

When I drive home to school on the weekends, I have to go up and down a mountain that has a pretty strong grade going down. I obviously have to use the brakes when I go down it, so I don't go too fast (this is a 55mph zone). However, when I go down this mountain, after applying breaks, I gradually start to get some vibration in my front wheels, steering wheel, and brake pedal. It starts off very subtle, but by the time I get to the bottom it's almost as if my front wheels are about to fall off the car. Today was a lot worse than other days on account of the increased traffic on the interstates from Thanksgiving, so it was quite a blast going down the mountain. Let me add that the speed doesn't really make it any better. I've gone 75, and I've gone as slow as 60.

It is also worth noting that this does not happen on flat ground regardless of my speed. It brakes very nicely on interstate with no grades, even going down a smaller hill, it's perfectly fine. The vibration from braking does subside after about 5-10 minutes getting onto a flat surface. I will also add that I just had new tires put on my vehicle, and I don't really ever recall it doing that before getting the tires put on.

Money shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'm also lucky to have a mechanical savvy family to help out as well.

Thanks guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
i would almost guarentee that that one of or both of your front rotors need machined or replaced. general rule of thumb if you can feel the vibration in the steering wheel while brakeing that it is on the front. if you feel it in the seat then head to the rear. hope that helps you some

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.