Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recall on Malibus???

11K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Trippejoe 
#1 ·
Hi all. My sister just texted me. To inform me of some sort of Recall on 07-10 Malibu because of Trans issue. I dont know what she is referring to. Does anyone know what this is about??

Thanks

#11 · (Edited)
This is a recall that only affects the 4-Speed Automatic transmission in 2007-2010 Malibus (and G6s and Auras). What would happen is that one of the cables/connectors could become weak, which could affect the gear that the transmission was in either by not shifting or by breaking.

It is not the actual transmission that is bad, it's a wire/connector in there that can become weak.

#15 ·
Based on past experiences, it is usually about a month between the time a recall is announced in the press and the recall letters are sent to owners.

The time is needed to manufacture any necessary parts, writeup the proper repair procedure and distribute these parts and information to the dealer service departments.

#16 · (Edited)
I got the letter last week (I have 2010 Malibu LS with 4 speed auto transmission). Weird thing is that on Saturday I took this letter to my Chevy dealer and they were unable to find the recall based on the VIN or the recall # from the letter. They are supposed to check with Chevy and call me back today with an update.

Update: My wife just got back from Chevy dealer (Englewood NJ) and she was told that even with the letter, they are not going to service the car because the recall # is not in their system. I just called Chevy customer service and need to get them the recall # from the letter as they also can't find an open recall for my vehicle. I am at work now so I have to call them back later and provide the requested information.

#17 ·
The funny thing about this recall was out a few years ago for certain year. Why not the other years i questioned it... I performed many of these, all it is to check the shift cable to make sure the cable halves that come together to make sure there isnt a fracture on the tabs. If not install a "clam shell" and clamp. If it is fractured replace the shifter cable. I never had a bad cable. The reason for this recall is if the cable is damaged its possible the transmission my not display the correct gear and may not shift into park which would cause the vehilce to roll away.

#19 ·
You guys may want to wait before heading to your Chevy dealer. I spoke with Chevy customer service and it turns out that they are not going to service our cars until January 2013 (there is a note on the back of the letter). Dealers have no instructions or parts available yet. Looks like Chevy sent out that letter way in advance. Of course, I was told that if my car experiences problems, I can get that fixed and get reimbursed.

#20 ·
@drabina, thank you for sharing what you’re going through since you’ve received this letter. By all means, if start to experience concerns that are outlined within the letter, get your vehicle into the dealership. Reimbursement can be sought through the dealership. You will need to keep any receipts and obtain a form from the dealership that performed the work.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.