Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DRL and ALC disable

18K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
Well on my 2003 malibu i disabled the DRL and ALC. I know the grand am and the malibu are both on the N platform. So i did these instructions to disable both, link is
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17559

Ok. This I know for sure works on 99-00 model GAs. This makes for an alternative for the DRL kits that are no longer in production. There is hint that a fully Plug and Play version is underway which I would recommend if you want to return to stock easily. If you are brave enough to mess with the BCM wiring there here you go.

First do not remove any relays or fuses; however, I highly recommend that you unplug your negative battery terminal.. Don't want to risk popping fuses or pooching the Body Control Module (BCM).

The BCM is located on the passenger side under the dash. There isn't much space to work with so to get the most space I would recommend that you remove your glovebox as well as the under dash panels. The BCM looks like a black box about the size of a CD jewel case. It will have 3 connectors.. 1 pink and two gray.

no drl
at the BCM, locate Connector C2 (center)

On the "B" side row of pins, locate the dark blue wire (b4)

Cut this wire, leaving as much as possible still attached to the BCM.

Now simply add on a piece of wire to the side that is still connected to the body control module. attach this wire to a good ground, like a screw in the metal part of the dashbehind the glove box or I used the interior light mounting bracket screw right there next to the BCM.

The BCM now see's this to mean that the regular headlights are on, and so it energizes the relay that turns off the DRL's.

ALC bypass
at connector C2 find A3 the yellow/black wire, and B2 light green/black wire.. be careful because there are two light green/black wires on that connector.. the one you want is closest to the yellow/black wire.

cut these wires again leaving as much wire as possible attached to the BCM.. simply tie the two wires together and tape them up real good. (this is the same thing as removing ambient light sensor and adding a jumper wire)

The BCM will now think that it is daylight all the time and it will not energize the relay to turn on the headlights.

So i was did this and it worked!! Only problem is i get the Service Vehicle Soon light....I was reading how the electrical set up is a little different every few years. I read through the grand am post that on the 03 grand am the SVS light also comes on, so on page 10 someone put a 10 ohm resistor inline when disabling the ALC. Does anyone know if this will work on the 03 malibus also?

See less See more
#2 ·
Good write up. Go get a 10 ohm resistor and see if it works. If it does edit your post and let me know.

#3 ·
Well I went out to RadioShack and bought some 10 ohm .5 watt resistors and it seems to be working. The resistor is hooked in between the yellow/black and light green/black wires. I read the resistor can also just be just put in place of the ambient light sensor if taken out. If you replace the sensor with the resistor no splicing or jumping wires has to be done though.

#6 ·
Yes it has worked, have had this done with no problems since I started this post and the pictures. But does work excellent. I love it when user I see malibus of this generation with lights on and mine off. I gess they came stock with drls and alc. or GM just tried to put them in most

#7 ·
Hi sorry to bother you, but I am also interested on doing this. I just want to verify if you got rid of the Service Vehicle soon when you installed the 10 ohm .5 watt resistor? I have a 1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS V6 3.1 Liter and nothing fancy just trying to save money buying 9006 bulbs. Thanks and God Bless.

#10 ·
I was compelled to reanimate this topic because I tried it and had slightly different results.

I followed the instructions but only noticed one LT GRN/BLACK wire which was adjacent to the YELLOW/BLACK. I did see a LT GREEN wire though.

Anyhow, after completing this project everything seemed to be perfectly fine until I tried to use my cruise control and it wouldn't work.

I lived with it until my total LED conversion forced me to try undoing the wiring to diagnose a separate issue and now my cruise control works again.

I'm unable to find the exact wire colors for the BCM that is specific to our vehicle or year but I know i didn't touch that LT GREEN wire which is only used on Oldsmobiles according to the only chart I could find that was close.

After I find more info I plan to send the DRL output to the parking lights and bypass the ambient light sensor properly.

#11 ·
#13 ·
Unfortunately, I'm not. But it has the pin numbers and what goes to where, so you can compare it to what you have and it could help. It's better than having nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.