Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil Life monitor

9K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  cp-the-nerd 
#1 ·
Any thoughts on trusting the oil life monitor? The monitor reads 55% but coming up on 3K miles, conventional oil, 09 LTZ 2.4 cyl almost 90K miles.

Thanks

#4 ·
You shouldn't be changing your oil every 3,000 miles unless you drive a 20 year old vehicle. Going 5k-6k miles is fine, just check the dipstick every few thousand to make sure you're good to go.

#5 ·
Lots of opinions on this subject. I go by my OLM. I switched to Royal Purple and use K&N filters after the break in. I have not had to add any oil between changes. RP says you can go 10,000 with a premium filter but not to do it if you are under warranty. A co worker of mine is going 10k on his hemi Ram and his Ford Fusion with no top offs.

#6 ·
Early in the life of any engine those looooong OCIs (oil change intervals) will probably not cause any issues because the engine is new. But once metal has been worn away there are no snake oils or magical mystery compounds that'll put it back.

The price of a synthetic oil change at my dealer is around $70, including filter. If I change my oil every 5000 miles for 200,000 miles I will have changed it 40 times for a total price of $2800.

If I extend it to 7500 miles I will change it about 27 times for about $1890, saving $910.

Extending it to 10,000 miles I will change it 20 times for $1400, saving $1400 or $490.

If you want to save $1400 then by all means use 10,000-mile OCIs. But how much will the engine or car replacement cost if it fails at 100,000? Will it fail when you are ready to fix it or junk it, or will it fail at an inopportune time?

I let the OLM alert me but I don't go to 0% (except once while on vacation and driving 2000 miles in one week) and change it around 5000 miles using full synthetic.

Lots of opinions, not a lot of information running around. If you go to BobIsTheOilGuy.com you can read up on just what happens to oil in the car and all it has to do besides just lubricate. Knowledge is power, so read on and choose well. :)

#11 ·
I've ordered a sampling kit. Gonna look into how my repaired engine is doing 15,000 miles later...

I hope it's good news! :eek:

#12 ·
Thanks for the replies, after I posted I noticed the other threads. Just was wondering how accurate the monitor is. BITOG is a great site. I built the engine in my street/strip car 22yrs ago still running strong, never let the oil get dirty.

#13 ·
After spending a considerable amount of time reading past threads on this matter, I would have to say that those who do not use or trust their OLM and stick to the old school 3-5k intervals are wasting their money. I too have wondered about how and if they really work. From what I have just read, they are for real and you are more than safe to follow it. As to the oil filter argument, I will have to say that I'm sure GM hasn't overlooked this important piece, and if it wouldn't hold up as long as the OLM says you can go, then I'm sure they would have addressed that problem. Another reason to only use AC Delco filters. I will trust and follow my OLM to within probably 5% of when it says it's time for service. I know I'm not smarter, and I know none of you are smarter about this subject than the people who researched and developed the system. That's good enough for me. It's there, I will use it.

#15 ·
"...and I know none of you are smarter about this subject than the people who researched and developed the system"

Like it or not, there have been plenty of issues with GM's OLM, including what slls said. The bottom line is really that people just need to pay attention to their car. If you regularly check the dipstick to make sure the oil is topped off and not thick and black, you'll generally be fine following the monitor.

If you go 10k miles and you haven't even opened your hood, you're asking for trouble.

#16 ·
I was amazed that my 2.4's OLM went nearly 9K before it decided it was time for my 'Bu to get it's oil changed at the dealer (for free). That's never happening again. I will do my own with full synthetic next time, and 7K tops. I don't have any vices that cost me money (jetskiing, okay one) so spending a bit more on the good stuff isn't a big deal. Peace, John

#17 ·
Just did the oil in my '09 2.4 . OLM said 53% at 5k miles.
OLM will vary due to idle time, less life with cold weather idle/warm ups. See that in my past / present Chevy vans.
I'm the 2nd owner so doing 5k changes to clean it out.
Now about that bad wheel hub at 95k, not happy about that.

#19 ·
I believe it was a TSB, no recall was issued. I do not know the exact circumstances they followed to update vehicles, but I would assume oil change customers and anyone with a drivetrain complaint/problem. They'll probably update it for free if you ask.

#22 ·
The chevy dealer I buy from now offers a lifetime engine warranty if all of the oil changes are done by them. They are using a BG additive. I was told there is no month limit and you can go 7500mi. The oil change is $43.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.