Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What did you do to your Malibu today?

83K views 329 replies 77 participants last post by  Unfettered 
#1 ·
Had 2 new tire put on the front. 60,000 miles and I'm pretty sure its riding on the factory originals. I'll get 2 more in a few weeks.

#264 ·
Add to that I have bad knees (one replaced) and I'm not supposed to kneel or squat anymore only compounds what I can do any more.

I drove to a neighboring town last night to check on damage to a family headstone and took the route where I could run it at 75 mph (which usually causes the oil burn smell) and so far so good. No oil leaking everything is still clean and dry.

#265 ·
As of today, "Franklin" is inspected and fully legal to drive in PA now. I found this car to be a pleasure to work on. Looking forward to continued maintenance tasks for years to come.

#267 ·
I replaced the front sway links today. It wasn't a difficult job. The fact that I didn't own an 18mm box wrench made it more difficult. Quick run to the hardware store with a valid excuse to purchase more tools is ok with me, though.

I used the Moog replacement. Thanks @RockAuto for the discount code.

OEM next to the Moog bar - the Moog is much thicker.

And the Moog part number

I liked that the replacement had zerk fittings so I could lube them up, but I wouldn't make that my "buy or not" decision.

My "butt dyno" says that it corners better now. No matter what, it doesn't rattle like an skeleton with the chills when I go down these fine Pennsylvania roads.

#268 ·
2003 Malibu LS - I just brought this car home (for my son to drive, he doesn't know I bought it yet) on Saturday so yesterday was the first day I could do anything. I re-attached the gas cap to the door, cleaned the front carpets, adjusted a couple of things, and cleaned up the headlights.

Automotive exterior Bumper Light Headlamp Auto part

Headlamp Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Automotive exterior

#269 ·
Nice job! Did you spray them with clear coat?

#272 ·
On the headlights, I just used Nu-Finish at the end as a final protectant. I cleaned them with a Turtle Wax headlight restoration kit that I had already used on another car - you basically wet sand them with the two little pads that come in the kit (four increasingly fine sandpapers) then I used some polishing compound and chrome cleaner with an electric buffer to polish them out. I'm satisfied with the result. My impression is that clear-coating them is supposed to keep them from oxidizing again, but maybe regularly waxing them will do the same thing.

#275 ·
Today, I said "goodbye" to Maxxine ... a 2006 Malibu Maxx LT. After 10 years and 225000 km of loyal service in a hostile environment (Toronto driving), she was retired. Repairs over the years: (outside of standard oil change/tires etc):
Front suspension struts replaced once
Plugs replaced once
steering bearing (a number of times under recall)
brakes (many times)
rotors - 1 set all around
1 rear caliper,
Gas tank air recycling valve (?) - once
Tie rod end (once, on driver side)

Alas, she didn't have a deflector shield, which would have been useful for the 1 time rear ended, 3 times side swiped and one front end (my bad: black ice).

The new car ... a 2016 Malibu LT1 with the Driver Confidence package. I hope that the new one will work out as well as the old one (and perhaps have the "deflector shield option")

Cars have changed in 10 years, and have come a Loooooonnnnggggg way from my first car, a '68 Ford Falcon....

#278 ·
I washed and vacuumed the car over the weekend. I had to clean up a small sawdust mess in the garage and just continued on to the car. The truck wasn't as lucky...:-(

#279 ·
I got my water pump, thermostat, and thermostat replaced the other day and gave her a bath. Next step is to replace the schrader valve. My A/C was working until months ago, I tried filling more freon with the manifold gauge set and when it wouldn't accept more freon, I unplugged the low side and then after I unplugged from the high side, it started spraying everywhere like a geyser. I'm wondering if I replace the schrader valve, I can fill up the freon and it would be fine. It will not turn on and I would imagine the reason is because it's empty.

Attachments

#281 ·
I wanna do red in my gauges as well, but the Gen7 uses SMD or SMT (surface-mount) LEDs. I'll have to do some experimentin' first before I tear into it and try to change it.

#284 ·
Been driving the crap outta my car... No problems other than having to add fuel every couple days... I kinda wish it were easier on fuel but I know that if I slowed down, it would be...

#285 ·
Replaced the schrader valve on the high side of the A/C line, put negative pressure in the line and I actually have A/C now (Thank goodness because I live in Arizona). New problem with it is it doesn't blow hard as it used to, so I'm gonna have to replace the blower motor. With the A/C running, both radiator fans turn on so thank goodness the overheating is not happening anymore.

#286 ·
Last night I installed a new tune in my '11 V6 using HP Tuners and a tune from cp-the-nerd, since he is the one that developed the first non-stock tune that I used. Eventually I may start to understand things well enough to make small adjustments here and there. Today will be the first time driving it with the new tune. I don't expect anything Earth-shattering, but I do expect improved shifting response.

And now, on with the day! :)

#287 ·
Update: Torque Management was reduced. Even on part-throttle shifts I could just barely sense that it was a little quicker, but after work I gave it a bit more throttle but had to let off before I caught up to traffic. It was just about done shifting and felt like it was quicker. Good stuff!

#290 ·
That sounds great! I would love to get my car tuned, but I don't have HPT yet... I do plan on getting it for the purpose of tuning my redline, and also going to play with tuning my Malibu, but I'm far from there...

I also cleaned the car for the first time in at least six months... I can see all the floorboards and seats, which reminds me I need to try and pull the stains out, they are nearly black...
Here's a little more info if you haven't found it already...

Click here for link to HPT thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.