Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Service ESC" "Service Traction" "ENG PWR Reduced"

35K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Speshellk1 
#1 ·
Late Thursday afternoon while I was under heavy acceleration ramping onto the highway, these three warnings popped up on my DIC as I merged with oncoming traffic and my car struggled to even make it to 60 MPH! Has anyone else encountered this problem? It seems like a liability to GM to retard the engine so much and put me in this kind of situation? The car is at the local dealership right now and Friday they called me to inform me that it is the throttle position sensor and it would be Monday before it's ready because they do not have one in stock. (they never seem to have the required part to get me in and out in one day) Anyway, my car is just over 3 years old even though I just hit 30K so I guess we'll see who's flipping for the bill on this one? (Assuming that they correctly diagnosed the problem in the firt place?)

#2 · (Edited)
Their diagnosis is correct.

The ECM "retard(s) the engine" to prevent runaway acceleration (think Toyota here). There are redundant throttle position input signals into the ECM. If they don't agree the executive program enforces a reduced engine power mode (there are several reduced engine power modes depending on the severity of the fault-the most severe faults will kill the engine instantly). This safety mechanism is the price of having acceleration-by-wire as opposed to the extinct cable-controlled acceleration.

The throttle position sensors are integral to the throttle body assy so you'll be getting a new TB. Yours was pretty short-lived at only 30K miles. You must have drawn the unlucky straw.

#3 ·
I must have also drawn the unlucky straw with the rack and pinion because it has also been replaced. My biggest issue is if I had been out of town, this relatively newer car would have stranded me for the weekend! I guess that's what I get for putting my faith in Chevy. My wife has a second gen Mazda 3 and it has not had even the slightest of issues.

#5 · (Edited)
I had a feeling I was just wasting my time responding.

This group really needs a separate "Why I hate GM" & "Why the grass is always greener on the other side" forum.

Personally, I'm getting a very cool Volt within 30 days.
Never said that I hated GM. I had a Buick Regal GS for over 11 years and had fewer problems in a 130k miles than what I've had with the Malibu. It's all the issues with the car that brings on the animosity. Good Luck with the volt! You interested in a slightly used Malibu? :D

#6 ·
I had something similar happen last year on a very hot (90's) and humid day. The weather suddenly cooled to the 70's and rained inches in about 1/2 hour. My car had the same 3 messages, and on a V6 it felt like less than 3 cylinders! It kinda cured itself and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong.

Until now I suspected fretting corrosion that was made worse by the sudden condensing humidity. Now it sounds more like the TPS.

Hope you have better luck here on out!

#7 ·
I could've sworn there was a TSB out there for the Malibu/Aura/GXP 3.6L equipped vehicles on here somewhere. I'll try to find it for you.

#10 ·
Hey all. Well, I just picked up my malibu from the dealership. It ended up being a faulty accelerator pedal sensor so they replaced the accel pedal assembly. (part# - 25778568) Now I don't want to throw everybody in shock but they covered it under warranty even though it was 4 months out! Anyway, thanks EnvoyBu for doing the research for me. I hate to say it, but after driving my wife's mazda 3 for the last three days my malibu feels like a land yaht!

#13 ·
Search this forum for "fretting corrosion" and read that before doing anything . . .

#14 ·
My car did the exact samething. I'm waiting on dealer to give me the diagnosis. I've been to 1 chevy dealer they didn't know then a auto shop they didn't know now I'm back at another dealer hopefully they can figure it out. It's winter here in Chicago only 9 degrees and I'm on public transportation because no one can find the issue.

#15 ·
Problems with my 2009 LTZ, same Service ESC, Traction and ENG PWR, engine light on. Already replaced Throttle body and a sensor for the gas cap. Told that there is no recall but a bulletin out on this from GM. Glad I haven't gotten in an accident, had to get a ride to work today because it won't clear itself like usual. Back to the dealer tomorrow. Not sure why there is no recall with everything that I am reading! Very poor performance! Will think twice about Chevrolet in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.