Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Service Traction" & "Reduced Engine Power"

211K views 78 replies 47 participants last post by  Colt Hero 
#1 ·
I am having problems with my 2011 Malibu LT. It will randomly read "service traction" and "reduced engine power". I have had the car for only 3 weeks and had to have it towed with the dealer plates still on it last weekend. They said they fixed some of the terminals but this morning it happened again. Its in the shop for a second time and they are replacing the throttle body...Extremely frustrating and dangerous...as it happened the second time right before I was going on the freeway...Anybody else have this issue and how it got fixed?

#73 ·
I am having the same problem with my 2011 chevy malibu. had it for less than a month, have gone less than a thousand miles. Service esc and Service Traction light came on, and today for the first time the reduced engine power light came on and dropped my car from 60 to 15. Now the car is sitting, waiting to get fixed at a mechanic. I called the 1-800 number tand the ladies response was," Well there are no recalls on that vehicle so I would continue working with your garage to get it taken care of." When I explained that multiple people were having the same issue, and that it was obviously something wrong when it was made she then explained," As someone who drives an older model car, once you get above 100,000 miles things tend to get broken." Why is it that I explain that i almost died on the highway and that I am now probably going to have to pay so much out of pocket to fix it, do i get excuses and pretty much "Oh well". This is absolute garbage and as someone who recently switched to Chevy from Honda, this is a shame. Once I have the money to pay off the bank for the loan, I am selling this piece of garbage to get another vehicle. No reason why i should get 0 help from the company who made the vehicle that is not running the proper way.

#79 ·
I am having the same problem with my 2011 chevy malibu. had it for less than a month, have gone less than a thousand miles. Service esc and Service Traction light came on, and today for the first time the reduced engine power light came on and dropped my car from 60 to 15.
I'm pretty sure - with my 2011 Equinox, at least ... that the only place I've seen a reference to "Reduced Engine Power" in my Helm Shop Manuals is when the Throttle Body malfunctions. There are Sensors on it, and I don't think you can replace just the sensors. I think the entire Throttle Body has to be replaced!

Looks like a $113 part at RockAuto, if you have the 2.4L engine ... Then 1 hour to install ... I'd say about a $300 job at a Dealer?

#74 ·
I've had the message for Reduced Engine Power before. It happened 2 different times, both on hot, humid days after a cold front came through and dumped a bunch of rain and lost 20°F.

Both times I had to drive home from work about 10 miles, and on the way home it fixed itself. I figure it was related to "fretting corrosion" in the thread below.

#75 ·
I currently have my car at a garage and waiting on call with whats wrong with it. The only reason i dont think corrosion is after the car came to a stop at the top of a hill and i hit the gas pedal to try and turn it off the highway, it started making the same noise my Hyundai did right before the engine seized. And Im hoping that the garage finds something wrong under my warranty or finds that whatever had my check engine light on caused it. Have IOU statement from used car dealership saying they would fix it and it kept getting pushed back. All i know is I definitely didnt cause the issue and I am praying it is all covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.