Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rear Struts 2004 Malibu LS

14K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  IlDuce 
#1 ·
Any How To guide? Also What parts will interchange? Ive been combing ebay and ive seen things from 99-03 that its saying will fit and 99-05 Grand am.... Can someone give me the heads up?

Thanks again,

IlDuce

#3 · (Edited)
I actually havnt, .. i checked Autozones website and it says Strut.. I have a rattle when i go over bumps in the back and my mechanic said its my "Strut mounts" so i figured i would change the whole thing for a few dollars more.

Edit: Called Chevy, has Shocks in the back.... What suspension wise should be replaced to help stop this rear rattling?

#5 ·
nah, this "rattle" occurs over tiny bumps, any type of speed bumps.. Everything in the back is good.. I do brakes my self so i know everything back there is tight. Not the muffler rattling. When i brought the car to him about the lower intake leak i asked him about the rear... he told me that my "rear strut plates" were bad... Maybe he meant shock mounts? Car has 127,500 on it.... Shocks never replaced.... When i go over a bump small/large it squeeks and then rattles ( still tight but rattles as if the shock is just moving around in the hole) so Im thinking maybe even the bushings at the shock ends went. Plus it doesnt help that I live in a Snow area and the salt eats everything lol.

#6 ·
Uh oh, we're quickly approaching the symptom bloat stage. I'm surprised that you haven't mentioned the occasional clunking and rubbing yet. Hey, I'm just messing with ya.:D

A guy comes into the shop, asks about some potential work, and then pumps for information on some unrelated stuff. It's possible that your mechanic just blew you off. I'm usually against throwing parts at the problem but you obviously are in a better position to make that call.

#7 ·
I think he blew me off also... I took the car to STS today for a free visual check... Everything was tight and they couldnt recreate the problem on a lift.. he told me its probably my shocks.... Would the Shock mounts go bad? Should i replace the mounts at the same time.?

#9 ·
it sounds like a wooden dowel inside an oversized hole moving around... So i know for a fact something is wrong and it isnt normal. Im just gonna replace the shocks and shock mount and hopefully that'll solve the problem... If not, ill have to find a mechanic to diagnose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.