Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steering wheel controls working - but Bluetooth & OnStar are not

33K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  julep 
#1 ·
I bought my '09 LTZ new, and have used the bluetooth a TON. I don't subscribe to OnStar though.

Out of the blue, I can't use BT anymore. When I push and hold the steering wheel button, it mutes the radio, but doesn't ever beep and prompt me for BT funtions. Just out of curiosity, I checked to see if OnStar would work (even when you're not subscribed, they still answer, right? I figure if nothing else, so they can try to sell you a new package). But it doesn't work either now. The steering wheel radio controls, however, still work fine.

I've checked the fuse - it didn't look blown but I swapped it with another just for good measure and it made no difference.

Two things that have happened around the same time (but not at exactly the same time) are that a couple days before, I had a brake job; and (I think a week or two before) my turn signal seemed to stop resetting itself except on hard turns. I'm not sure if I'm just imagining the latter.

Can anyone offer any advice - I hate to take it to the dealer or a shop if I can fix it myself.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like an issue with the BCM. Might end up having to replace it. Yuck! Keep us posted...

#3 · (Edited)
You might just need to have the onstar module reflashed with an updated firmware version. Could also be that the onstar module has gone pear-shaped.

Service Information 2009 Chevrolet Malibu | Malibu (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 2285981
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#08-08-46-008B: OnStar Gen 8.0L Software Update-Corrections for No LED, No Button Response, No Power, Battery Drain, Bluetooth Pairing, No Nametags, Remote Functions, Turn by Turn Routing/Display, No OnStar Hands Free - (Jun 2, 2009)

Subject: OnStar® Generation 8.0L Software Update - Corrections For No LED, No Button Response, No Power, Battery Drain, Bluetooth Pairing, No Nametags, Remote Functions, Turn By Turn Routing, Turn By Turn Display, No OnStar® Hands Free Calling, No GPS, Advisor Record Feature and Automatic Crash Notification Repeat Calls (Reprogram OnStar® Module)

Models: 2009 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse, Lucerne

2009 Cadillac DTS

2009 Chevrolet Colorado, Impala, Malibu, TrailBlazer

2009 GMC Envoy, Canyon

2009 Pontiac G6

2009 HUMMER H2, H3

2009 Saturn AURA

2009 Saab 9-7X

All Vehicles Equipped with OnStar® (RPO UE1)

Attention: This bulletin is being issued to provide the dealer with information regarding a condition pertaining to certain OnStar® Generation 8.0L Vehicle Communication Interface Modules (VCIM) that affect the LED, button response, vehicle starting, Bluetooth® pairing, nametags, inability to perform certain remote functions, loss of turn-by-turn routing, turn-by-turn display, OnStar® hands-free calling, GPS, advisor record feature and automatic crash notification calls to OnStar®.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the conditions list and dealer action information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-08-46-008A (Section 08 - Body & Accessories).

Condition
Note: Performing this procedure will clear out all of the customers nametags stored in the VCIM. These will need to be restored by the customer once the procedures are completed.

Some customers on certain 2009 model year vehicles equipped with a Generation 8.0L OnStar system may report some of the following concerns:

• No OnStar® LED and no response to any OnStar® buttons. Additionally, some customers may also have a battery drain.

• Phone pairing feature for the Bluetooth® system is not retained after an ignition cycle.

• Nametags for OHFC, Bluetooth® and Turn-by-Turn will be lost after an ignition cycle, or the nametag may be present but the customer is unable to use it or delete it.

• The customer may request to be enrolled in the Verizon Family share (OnStar® Share Minutes) plan but when trying to use OHFC they receive a message that there are insufficient units.

• OnStar® is unable to connect to the vehicle to perform remote functions (i.e. door unlock, horn honk, light flash).

• Loss of Turn-by-Turn routing information. Some customers may be told by the OnStar® advisor that Turn-by-Turn is unavailable. Also, some customers may not have Turn-by-Turn display information in their vehicle.

• The "Virtual Advisor" command may not be available or will not access the system for eNav routes that have been stored through MapQuest®.

• In rare cases, following a collision with an airbag deployment, the vehicle will make repeated calls to the OnStar® center.

• No GPS location when calling into OnStar®.

• Unable to access the Advisor Record feature.

Cause
These conditions may be the result of a software anomaly within the OnStar® VCIM and can be corrected through a software update using the Service Programming System (SPS) application.

Correction
Customer Notification
OnStar® will notify subscribers on a case-by-case basis. OnStar® customer notification letters will include a reference to this bulletin. Some customers may also be referred to the dealer by either the GM Customer Assistance Center or by OnStar® Technical Assistance following attempts to resolve any of the listed concerns.

Dealer Action
If any or all of the above conditions have been met, dealer technicians should reprogram the OnStar® VCIM. A revised service calibration has been released to address this condition. Reprogram the OnStar® VCIM using the TIS2WEB Service Programming System (SPS) application.

Notice: After the programming, perform the following steps to clear the old nametags from the system that may not be working.

Connect the scan tool to the vehicle and navigate to the VCIM special functions menu.
Change the language setting to either French or Spanish.
Change the language setting back to English.
Press the phone icon button on the OnStar® button assembly. After the "Ready" prompt, reply "delete all nametags".
Note: Always make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

Warranty Information (excluding Saab U.S. Models)
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

R9756*
Reprogram VCIM (OnStar®)
0.4 hr

*This is a unique labor operation number for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

Warranty Information (Saab U.S. Models)
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Failed Object
Fault/Reason
Location Code
Warranty Type
Repair/Action Code
Labor Time

MIN And/Or MDN Cellular Communications (OnStar®) Reprogramming with SPS
Use Published Labor Operation Time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a ""do-it-yourselfer"". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2012 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

#4 ·
Greenman! I like your name - that's what I call my pet turtle. However, it seems you're far more resourceful than he is. :D

This isn't a recall, is it? Of course, I'm no longer on warranty.

I don't really ever take cars to the dealer for service, so I'm not quite sure how to handle this... should I print the bulletin you pasted, and take it with me?

Driven - thanks, I will keep y'all posted. Your car looks great -my car looks like yours probably did before your fancied it up (same color and all) :p I've asked for a set of chrome billet grilles for Mother's Day, though :D

#5 ·
I don't really ever take cars to the dealer for service, so I'm not quite sure how to handle this... should I print the bulletin you pasted, and take it with me?
Yes.

But before you do that, I suggest that you get out your owner's manual and try to re-connect the car with your phone. And then maybe try a different phone.

The problem could be at either end (car or phone) and the dealership will always try to blame the phone first. There probably is some validity in doing that.

#7 ·
No such luck - it was the whole blasted thing. So much for chrome for Mother's Day, I've already got my present - a whole new Onstar/bluetooth unit.

Interestingly, when the guy ran my VIN, it said that the car was not Onstar equipped. But it most certainly was (I paid for the stupid service for a year, by gosh), and I bought the car new. I kept asking him if, since the unit had gone belly-up, could it be that since it isn't transmitting a signal, they think the car doesn't have it at all? But he never seemed to understand the question. I reckon the answer is no, the info from the VIN is probably set at time of manufacture, but I was getting frustrated that I couldn't get any answer from him.

So, a nearly $600 mother's day for me, and it comes with a crummy one-year warranty. All so I can talk on the phone while I drive. Ya. hoo. Don't get me wrong, I wanted it back, but having that functionality is a lot less satisfying when you spent that much to retain it.

So anyhow. Thanks, folks.

#8 ·
Well, my Malibu is now at the dealer regarding Bluetooth. It refuses to pair, so they have to fix it.

#9 ·
My '09 wouldn't pair (or more correctly keep the pairing after the key was turned off) 2 different times. A flash to the BCM fixed it just fine. My '11 has only once suffered that issue in the same number of miles, about 20K.

#11 ·
Just got a call from the dealer. They said they will replace the entire BCM. Part will be ordered Monday, will be installed and given back to me Tuesday. I have a Cruze for a rent a car.

#15 ·
Yup. They said that it messed with the system didn't accept it, so they had to replace the BCM as well.

#16 ·
This is all long since, but I thought I'd post a follow-up. The replacement bluetooth unit that they put in my car a few months ago is working fine -- but I don't get as good of voice quality as I used to. I don't understand why not, as I'd assume the microphone wasn't replaced and I know the speakers weren't, but it's worse both coming and going.

Meanwhile, my husband's car doesn't have bluetooth capability, so I got him a Motorola Roadster 2 - a visor clip bluetooth speakerphone device. I had a visor clip speakerphone in my old car and it was horrific, but this one gets fairly good reviews. He loves it, and I wish we hadn't shelled out the $600 for this repair and had gotten one of these. Especially as we both have Motorola smartphones, and with that pairing, it'll even read incoming texts out loud and transcribe outgoing ones for you. I could have saved $550 and been happier. I don't use OnStar anyway, so I wouldn't have missed anything else.

Meh. Live and learn, I guess.

#17 ·
This is all long since, but I thought I'd post a follow-up. The replacement bluetooth unit that they put in my car a few months ago is working fine -- but I don't get as good of voice quality as I used to. I don't understand why not, as I'd assume the microphone wasn't replaced and I know the speakers weren't, but it's worse both coming and going.
Thanks for returning & following up.

I'm wondering if you have tried borrowing a different make of smartphone, pairing it & see if the sound is better using that phone.

I've been very happy with the BT sound quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.