Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2010 Malibu airbag light

41K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  Chevrolet Customer Svc 
#1 ·
I've seen that this is a reoccuring problem and I have taken my car in for the second time. This time the dealer told me that an advisory has been issued and the parts are on a 2-3 week national backorder. The dealer also told me that I can pick the car up and it is safe to drive. My understanding is when the light comes on it means your airbag is not functioning. Can anybody tell me if this is true. I can't understand why GM would allow customers to drive around in a car with airbags that may not deploy.

#3 ·
I would honestly think that if the entire safety system, of which the SIR is a part, is not 100% and they know it, then they should keep the car until it's safe to operate.

If the light is simply being told to turn on but the system is actually functional then maybe it's okay to drive. But how would you ever know if it really is if the light (the sole indicator) is malfunctioning?

I wouldn't drive away in my car - I'd be getting them to pop for a rental.

Or I'd use my Droid and look up a good attorney.

#11 ·
Cars didn't have airbags for years and people survived. As a matter of fact, Cadillac developed this feature in 1974 and it only lasted a year or 2.
Personally, I wouldn't want my car tied up for 2 weeks while they're waiting for a part. I would just drive it that way. But this sounds like a substandard dealership. The fact that there's a advisory out there for this problem is all the more reason for them to have a full stock of the parts to perform the fix.

#4 ·
My understanding is when the light comes on it means your airbag is not functioning. Can anybody tell me if this is true. I can't understand why GM would allow customers to drive around in a car with airbags that may not deploy.
mdriske, welcome to the forum. I'll assume you're really asking and not just trying to do GM-bashing. Like I said, if you ask politely but firmly, I'm sure the dealer will provide you with a rental. A lot of what goes on with goodwill gestures on the part of dealer depends on your past and present relationship with them.

I wouldn't drive away in my car - I'd be getting them to pop for a rental.

Or I'd use my Droid and look up a good attorney.
Oh, I don't know. I'd be hesitent to let them keep my car for 2-3 weeks. What, go for a visit with my car few days?:D

#10 · (Edited)
mdriske, welcome to the forum. I'll assume you're really asking and not just trying to do GM-bashing. Like I said, if you ask politely but firmly, I'm sure the dealer will provide you with a rental. A lot of what goes on with goodwill gestures on the part of dealer depends on your past and present relationship with them.

Oh, I don't know. I'd be hesitent to let them keep my car for 2-3 weeks. What, go for a visit with my car few days?:D

from malibubu: My dealer has had my 2010 Malibu for 15 days - no success. They have it again now. The only possible breakthrough so far was self-generated when I picked up my supposedly fixed Malibu, drove it to an automatic car wash and while going from the wash cycle through the blow-dry cycle the "service airbag" light came on (again) for about 3 minutes. I still drove back to the mechanic who was encouraged by this event but still wasn't able to fix the problem. Car is sitting back at dealer again. I do have a free loaner (I buy the gas) but zero progress so far.

9/11/10 MALIBUBU UPDATE: Dealer started work on my car. The front passenger seat and the center console are removed. Hoping this is good. No one around to talk to. Will update later.

#6 ·
Not GM bashing. I have only bought GM products. This Malibu replaced a 2001 Alero with 170,000 miles. I did speak with the service manager and he did provide me with a rental. Not pleased with the advise from the women at the service counter. I still want to know if the airbag will function if the light is on.

#7 ·
There are two posts on the subject so I'll add this to both.

I spoke to my dealership today and the service manager told me that yes it is a safety issue to drive it with the light coming on but he said the front airbags would deploy no matter what but that the side airbags may be impacted and not deploy correctly if I were to get into an accident while the light is on. He didn't stress that I get it there today but said try to find some time in the next few weeks to be able to bring it in.

He said he's seen the issue a few times and almost always been able to resolve it through a code check and reviewing the units under each seat.

I'm going to try to get it to them the week after next and will let you know what ends up happening.

#13 · (Edited)
9/14/10 PICKED UP MY 2010 MALIBU FROM SERVICE THIS AFTERNOON. After several mles of driving there were NO SERVICE AIRBAG LIGHT incidents. The service writer and mechanic are confident that the problem is solved.

THE CAUSE (as explained by the service writer): The recent Side Airbag callback procedure (summer of 2010) included some defective electrical connections under the front passenger seat, due to a very loose fit between mating connectors. This created a condition where a bump or rough road could cause an erratic (on and off) electrical contact between the mating connectors, and result in a "Service Airbag" warning.

#14 ·
This is very good news for you and for anyone else that has had that same gremlin. I'm happy for you. Sounds like they did their homework and really did it right.

#15 ·
From Malibubu: My "Service Airbag" problem is fixed. No recurrances in 2-1/2 weeks. Replacing a loose electrical connector under the front passenger seat did the job. This problem apparently was created by a faulty connector that was part of the summer 2010 side airbag callback.

#17 ·
I had the same issues with my 2010, 2LT, I could not take it to the dealership because I am living in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), and I shipped my car from the states therefore my warranty is not valid here( my dealership has been checking into it for the last two months(I think they are giving me lip service)).
Back to the issue at hand, the indicator light was for the drivers airbag(the passenger airbag is below the radio on the center console. I looked under the drivers seat, and found the yellow cable routed into the seat( yellow cable harness is for the SRS/airbag), with the car running and the fault or indicator for the airbag on; I squeeze the connectors together (the connectors: end of yellow cable to the vehicle wiring harness( all are located under the seat)). The indicator light turned off and fault has not returned.

Mileage when first occurred: approx 54000
Mileage when I finally did something because it was intermittent 55500
Current mileage 57500

#18 ·
If you PM me the last 8 digits of the VIN, I can verify whether the recall is still open, there were actually two recalls for this. Either one will get the same thing done. The yellow connectors under each front seat need to be replaced. You need connector kit part number 20968489, silicone dielectric grease and there's a special tape called out but regular PVC electrical tape will suffice if need be, or friction tape will do as well. The procedure calls for actually replacing the terminal ends on the harnesses, so special crimp tools are required. The terminals are then soldered and put in new connector ends. Takes a good hour to do both sides. I can send you the procedure if need be but your dealer over there should be able to access it themselves. Recall 11034 or 10085D will contain the same procedures. You can, in the mean time, with the key off, unplug the yellow connectors and reconnect them several times to clean off the fretting corrosion, if you have access to silicone dielectric grease, a dab on the connector ends before you snap them together the last time will help slow the issue down. There is a tab in the connector you need to slide out to be able to release the tab holding the two halves together. I don't know if Michelle can do much for you, worth a shot though. Being that you're overseas, I don't know how all that recall stuff works.

#19 ·
Hey guys, got a 2010 Malibu, LTZ V6, 49,000 miles on it. My service airbag light came on on the DIC and the indicator stays illuminated on the speedometer. It comes on randomly and goes off randomly as well. I had the recall that came out in 2011 pertaining to the airbags, where they removed the seats to fix it, done in 2011. Now I have this going on, any ideas what it could be?

#21 ·
We just bought my aunt's 2010 Malibu LT and are having the "service airbag" issues. Took it to the dealer today and they said that the connector in the passenger seat was bad and wanted $485 to fix it. He also said that with the light on, none of the airbags would deploy however, it does read that the airbag IS on. The wiring harness has already been replaced, but the light is on and staying on. Does anyone know anything about this issue?

#22 ·
You need the code that was stored for a real good answer. If the connector under the seat is the issue, you can usually disconnect and reconnect the connector a few times and the air bag light will go out for a while. You could also have Passenger Presence System issues that will turn on the air bag light.

#23 ·
the airbag code/s should be on your invoice. we need the exact code numbers & the suffixes (if any).

$485 to change an airbag connector?????????????????????? I thought they were fixing that issue under some special program. i'm fuzzy on the details.

#26 ·
Hello 2010LT,

Thanks for sharing the updated status of your vehicle service airbag concern. I am sorry for any inconvenience and trouble this is for you. Good news you were able to resolve the issue for now. If the issue comes back, or you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. We can be reached via private message and are here to assist.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#25 ·
here's the safety campaign letter that was mailed to owner's of the applicable 2010 VINs. Rodents knows a lot more about this than i ever will.

Subject: 10085B - Airbag Readiness Light/Service Airbag Message - Reroute Wire Harness/Replace Connectors

Models: 2010 Chevrolet Malibu

2010 Pontiac G6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The service procedure in this bulletin has been revised to include a warning NOT to use soldering equipment that is battery or electric powered. These types of soldering irons can induce voltage into the SIR circuit, which may cause inflator module deployment and/or damage to electrical components. Use on the EL-28125-5 Ultra Torch or another butane fueled soldering iron when working on SIR circuits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please discard all copies of bulletin 10085A, issued June 2010.

Condition
Certain 2010 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Pontiac G6 vehicles may experience wear which could lead to corrosion in the connector terminal pins at the connection between the body main wiring harness and the front driver and passenger side impact air bag. Over time, the wear may result in a resistance value that sets a SERVICE AIR BAG System warning message in the Driver Information Center (DIC). The seat side impact air bag would continue to be fully functional. Over time, and if the SERVICE AIR BAG System DIC warning message is ignored, the resistance could increase to a level in which the seat side impact air bag may not deploy when commanded in a side impact crash.

Correction
Dealers are to secure both front seat-mounted side impact airbag wire harnesses, and if necessary, reroute the wire harness and/or replace the front seat-mounted side impact airbag connectors..

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2010 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Pontiac G6 vehicles built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Chevrolet
Malibu
A4100001
A4166698

Chevrolet
Malibu
AF100056
AF271265

Pontiac
G6
A4100002
A4166963

#27 ·
Fretting corrosion on the yellow connector under whichever seat you moved. Both seats will eventually do the same thing. DeoxIT D series and G series would be a more lasting fix. Disconnecting and reconnecting the yellow connectors under the seat a few times will sort of clean the fretting corrosion to a degree, the DeoxIT works better, done right it lasts longer. Disconnect the battery first, with the ignition key OFF before disconnecting the battery if you're worried about the SIR system. Wait a few minutes and then start working.

#31 ·
So I had this same issue, DIC shows Service Air Bag. Normally comes on when a passenger is in the front passengers seat. Message turns off and on randomly. I took the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu to my local Chevy dealer. $423 for the repair to replace both connectors. I'm worried it will come back eventually being the car is only 4 yrs old. I keep my vehicles for 10 years. I'm very surprised this isn't a recall with so many owners having this issue and this being a safety concern.

#32 ·
I wanted to add that I have verified that the existing recall was performed in 2010. Although it is my understanding that this was an inspection only and they should have relocated the wiring which apparently didn't help much. My dealer checked and the recall status was set to close meaning the cost would not be paid for by GM. The vehicle only has 39,000 miles and I'm the original owner. Just disappointing to have to pay for repairs already.

#33 ·
Hello,

please se my recent PM

My sister just bought a used 2010 Chev Malibu w/ 55k miles.

This just started to happen to her as well. The dealer said they have no idea what it could be & they want to charger her to run a diag. test.

Can you check to see if there is an open recall she can take advantage of?

She is mostly concerned that the bag will deploy with out warning. I told her that I thought it was just for sensing weight on the seat & other than being an eye sore (the dash light) there wasn't much to worry about. Is that correct?

Thanks

#34 ·
The airbag won't deploy without cause. There are "safing" sensors that prevent that. In fact, they won't deploy unless there is enough deceleration in a particular direction. When the light is on that is telling you that the airbags are inoperative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.