Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tire Squeak

9K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  DOACanada 
#1 ·
My Malibu has less than 6,000 miles on it and has a squeak coming from the front driver's side tire. The faster I drive, the faster it squeaks.

But, the squeak is not constant. It disappears at low speeds and some days it is not there at all.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
None at all...it could be something as simple as dirt getting stuck on a rotating part, or it could be your front axle turning into a Ford truck. Both could squeek so I am not sure. Try doing circles with the wheel cut the sharpest you can. I would recommend a parking lot with no traffic (and no donuts :p). If you can then replicate the problem, it could be something with the axle itself and I would take it to the dealer.

If it works...you can then replicate it to the dealership. If not...well...some people on here are better mechanics than myself.

#3 ·
HOw's your alignment? No curbing? (not saying anything about your driving abilities) If the alignment is off, the tire can drag, thus creating a squeak. Also, if you mean while cornering, the Malibu's suspension is well set up for comfort and not handling (I happen to be an amateur racer of sorts), and the squeaking is just normal in that case.

#7 ·
/\ /\ /\ /\

That's what I was thinking also, however my 05 GP I traded in has just started to show signs of the front wheel bearing going, and instead of the normal howl, it was squeaking quite loud. And just like malibu 2008 I could really hear it when I was driving by the barrier on the highway with the window down as the sound was deflecting back up to me.

#8 ·
Yeah, once they reach a certain stage the howling becomes.... squeaking.... That means imminent bearing death. Raise the car and grab the tire with both hands directly across. Wiggle it in several spots. If it wiggles in all areas you try, then you have your issue. If it wiggles in only one, post up and we'll get at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.