Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Air Bag Service Light on

76K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  Ubben 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Malibu LT2 4cyl. 5000 miles. In the last week the air bag symbol and airbag service light readout has come on and has been staying on. In checking the car out before calling the dealership I found that the manual passenger seat must have a short in the wiring for airbag system. If I move the seat back and forth on the rail adjustment I can get the light to go out. All the wiring seem or appears fine, plugs are all connected, but I am sure there must be a short or pinch in the wire harness there somewhere. Just an FYI to check this if anyone else comes across the same problem. I will be making a service appointment for a permanent fix.

#2 ·
I had the same problem with mine. I would move the wires under the drivers seat and it would go away. I told the tech that something was probably wrong with the wires. It turned out to be a faulty airbag module. He told me that it was just a fluke that it went out when I moved the wires. It's being replaced under warranty. I'm a little disappointed that the car only has 21,000 miles on it and is starting to have problems. Little things here and there keep popping up. It's a 2009 LS.

#4 ·
I have a 2010 1LT with the same problem. The car is at the dealer for this problem for the third time. The first time they told me it was because the scale module in the passenger seat needed to be reset and recalibrate. I picked the car up got a half mile down the road and the light and message came back on. I turned around went back to the dealer and they said they could not find anything wrong, there was no error code stored. It was fine for about two weeks then airbag light and message are back on. Got a call from the dealer last night they scanned for codes and it gave them one, the tech went to work on something else comes back to my car and scans for codes again and there is nothing. He did not clear the code, it is just gone. They are working with GM Tech Support on the issue. We have had nothing but problems this car. We have had it for two months and it has been back to the dealer 4 times for repairs.

#6 ·
There is a problem. I have had this problem 3 times now. The service airbag light came on so we took it to the dealership and they said there was nothing wrong with it, they said it was just a code that made the light come on. Then after we left with our car it came right back on. We called the dealership, took it back and they said that they needed to put grease on the electrical connection for the airbags, when they made the car they forgot to add this and it causes the airbags to disconnect. This goes for ALL 2010 malibus. Well it has been fine for a while and then all of a sudden the service airbag light came on again yesterday. We called the dealership and took the car back and they told us that this is a big problem now. and the people who actually made the electrical system for the airbags is TOYOTA. so they are going to try and find out what is going on and how they can fix this. SO I SUGGEST EVERYONE HAVING THIS PROBLEM SHOULD TAKE YOUR CAR BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP FOR SERVICE. THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM.
Thank goodness we are still under warranty.

#7 ·
I had the same problem with my 2010 Malibu. The car did not set a code at first. It took five visits to the dealer to solve the problem. On the second visit they ordered (took three days and the factory sent the wrong unit the first time) and replaces the module that does the scanning and sets codes. When it happen again they found a code that said the side airbag was defective. They had to order the new airbag that took five days to get in. The problem is finally solved.

#11 ·
I am having the same problem on my 2007 Malibu LS! Just started yesterday.
When I start the car, the "service airbag" light goes on. After a while it will be off, and then on. Again and again.
Unfortunately, my warranty just expired last month!
Can someone give me some suggestions about how to fix it?

#12 ·
Mine had this problem on the test-drive. The dealer just mentioned that it must need a code clearing from a previous jump (having been a '10 sitting on the lot for a few weeks).

After signing my papers and waiting for the car to come out of clean-up, (Wednesday of this week, mind you) they got the call that it would need a sensor replacement, and that I would need a loaner car. I'm driving around in a 2LT (not bad) in colors I didn't choose, with options missing, and I have never driven my car under my ownership.

Supposedly, my car will be ready on Tuesday, but they're not sure, since they're waiting on a part. I guess from the looks of things, airbag parts for the new 'Bu are going to take a while.

I just hope I get the car I picked out within a reasonable time, or I'll be asking for a dealer exchange for a working model, since I've never taken delivery.

Hats off to Kerry Chevrolet in Alexandria, KY for being so great and providing me a brand-new closely-specc'ed loaner while they make it right. (here's hoping, anyway...)

#13 ·
I took my LTZ Black Granite on Monday because the service air bag light was on. The dealer took me home. Very nice. They called shortly after and said it was a connector and would order the part. The dealer picked me (young lady) up again to get my car. I thought it was great "sucking up" (from the movie Pretty Woman) for future service calls. The loaner car is a nice touch to. I am driving my car until the part comes in. It should be repaired this week.

#14 ·
So, they're letting you drive your car while a safety item is not functioning properly? If that's the case then they're taking a HUGE risk!

I saw the movie a long time ago and don't remember the details so well. Share a little more about it???

#15 ·
I gotta go with Daily on this one - If a safety system in malfunctioning, the dealer should keep the car until repaired, and as the GM warranty states, any Goodwrench authorized service center should and WILL provide you with a rental for any repair that requires the vehicle to be kept overnight.

I'd call your dealer up and get them back in suck-up mode.

#17 ·
The movie is the one you mentioned in your post. (Pretty Woman)

Yes, you are taking a risk driving the car with the air bag light on. When it's on the air bags aren't supposed to deploy, so if you're in an accident they won't be there to help protect you. Since it's under warranty, and if there's any chance at all that the safety systems are not 100%, the dealership has laid themselves open to a lawsuit. (This is not legal advice.)

So long as the air bag light is on, or comes on at any time while driving, then if I were you I'd call the dealership and calmly ask them to send a tow truck for you and the car and to have a loaner car readied for you. If the light is not on (except for system diagnosis immediately after starting) then you might be safe, but again, this is not legal advice. It's your decision.

I think everyone who ends up reading this thread will just be blown away by a service department deciding to order a part for a safety system malfunction while letting the owner drive away! If you like to have a good time then you might want to ask them to share the drugs they've been taking! WTF are they thinking??? Oh, my bad, they aren't thinking!

The "sucking up mode" that Gadget (is he Mr. Gadget's son? Hmmm.) speaks of is the dealership sucking up to you, trying to make up for such a huge goof! Since you indicate that you're a young lady then it's not beyond most males to want to fall all over themselves to get some of your attention, so you'll have to separate that from the "sucking up" that they would need to do even for an old fart.

#20 ·
Had the intermittant problem. Got my car back from the dealer. Reads: Found codes, B0014 and B0400. SIR connectors are defective. Replaced SIR connectors per Bulletin # 10-09-41-002.

Can anyone give the details of this bulletin? Also, what and where are the SIR connectors located?

Any help would be appreciated.

#21 ·
I've been gathering data on this problem from this forum and others sources for obvious, selfish reasons. It apparently has to do with the seat-mounted side impact airbags. The dealerships have been replacing sensors, Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM), and even airbag modules. TSB 10-09-41-002 (Airbag indicator with DTCs B0014 and/or B0021) now says to replace/reroute the connector and terminals underneath the front seats. I'm hoping the techs on the forum will kindly fill us in with details.

#22 ·
My malibu has the same intermittent problem at 6000mi. The first time I made an appointment the light was out the day i was to bring it in. I was told since the light wasnt on that they wouldnt be able to tell whats wrong. I cancelled and was told to come back if it happened again. I bought my car out of town. 3 weeks later it came on again today so i pulled into the local dealer and left it running so it wouldnt go out again! I was told there was a bulletin for a connector and it would be a few days to get it in stock. I was told maybe 1&1/2 hr wait to replace it

#23 ·
My 2010 LTZ black (a nice looking Malibu) had the same problem at 6,000 miles. I got in my car and put my purse and a package on the passenger seat and the light came on. I took it to the dealer and Smith Chevy..was so very nice. They ordered the connector and replaced it as soon as the part arrived. I left the car at the dealer in the morning and picked it up later in the afternoon. The problem is solved. I have not seen the message since the repair.

#29 ·
i have this problem, but now its going on a week of not happening. but wen it did it got very annoying

#31 ·
My 2008 LTZ 2.4 (89k miles) gave me the same warnings - Service Air Bag light and message every time I start the car. I took it to the dealer and they said the heated seat element has melted the passenger presence module and that's why the light is on. $1100 to fix it. The passenger heated seat has not been turned on in MONTHS. I'm going to get a second opinion, but is there anything I can do myself in the mean time (I've seen talk about changing the battery, etc.) that will possibly fix the issue and save me that $1100?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.