Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

07 Dash Vibration noise 45-60 mph

33K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  MaxxFamily 
#1 ·
Hello Forum, I have an 07 Malibu LT 4cyl auto that I bought used with 34K miles on it. I live in Virginia (no snow or Ice) and recently (1 month) ago started get a vibration noise coming out of the dashboard when I approached 45 mph and then goes away when I go over 60. The noise is loud enough that even with the stereo turned up you can still hear the noise. The tires are good, the steering wheel doesn't vibrate and the car is currently at my mechanics (out of warranty) and he told me to check the web for any problems like this forum covers. Anyone else having the dash noise at such a narrow speed band? Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 ·
My mechanic found the problem, a bad speedometer cable. He replaced the cable and the dash noise is gone. He suggested that I call Chevy to report the problem, which I am going to do. With only 49K mi on the car the speedo cable shouldn't have gone bad that soon. Otherwise this has been a great car.

#6 ·
Our 2006 malibu had this noise/vibration problem too. It was fixed at the dealer under the TSB but they charged us for the fix which was placing double sided tape under the passenger side of the cowl to keep it from coming up and vibrating against the windshield. Ah well at least the noise is gone.

#8 ·
lift hood, check passenger side cowl... best to use 3m double sided trim tape (used on sideskirts)... you can heat tapewith a lighter (will make "tacky") will stick for a very long time...

pretty simple fix, tape might cost 8.00 tops, any paint body place should have it, or auto zone or oreilly auto

#9 ·
We had the cowl problem as well with our '07. The dealer said that they had a ton of cars come through with the same problem.

#15 ·
$5 dollar investment is worth the try. Clean underneath the plastic housing/cowl first. Let it dry a few minutes then put some double sided 3-M tape on it. You can get the tape at Auto Zone or O'Rilley's etc. Definetly worth a try over stopping in at teh scary dealer or auto shop.

#17 ·
We've had the same issue on the '07 Maxx since Day One. It happens more frequently in the summer, but not frequently enough that I've ever done anything about it. Nice to know there is a "fix" if I need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.