Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brake pedal "clunk"

25K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  GMTech! 
#1 ·
When ever I let off the brake, the pedal has this metal to metal clunk :( sound when the arm comes back up. I've never heard a car do this and usually there are rubber isolators and stops that cusion the brake pedal when released. My car has less than 1k miles on it. I didn't notice it the first day and can't pinpoint when it started. Has any one else noticed this noise?

#4 ·
Pretty sure it's right at the pedal under the dash. Even when I try to release the pedal very smoothly it still makes that noise. Guess I'm calling the dealer. I'll leave a note if it's something out of the ordinary.

#6 ·
Going to the dealer for the pedal issue on Tuesday June24. Now I also noticed my center console is loose on the right rear corner. Not sure how that is attached but I can rock it off the floor on that corner about 1/2". Another note to you Malibu people, I was vacuming out my Malibu just this morning. Noticed some debris inside the hand grip area of the left rear door. Stuck the vacum hose in there to suck out the dirt and pulled the little rubber screw cover pad right into the shop vac. Those are NOT fastened well at all. At least I knew where it went. What a mess getting that out. To all, have a great weekend.

#9 · (Edited)
Well,the tech said the pedal was "normal". I think he was testing it without the car running. I can still make it, make the noise but I guess I'll just have to watch and see what happens. I'll most likely have it back in someday and I'll have them test it while I watch. It's not like it's failing, I just never heard a pedal make that noise when released. The center console was a loose fastener and was fixed with no problem. I'll try and attach a copy of the shop ticket.

Attachments

#10 ·
I'm experiencing something similar with my '03 GMC Envoy SLE, but it appears to be a temperature problem, since once the car's warmed up, the noise stops.

#11 ·
The 2LT I test drove and the LTZ I bought both make the "clunk" with the pedal when I let off the brake when I remove my foot quickly....If I let the pedal back sloooowly, then no "clunk", but under "stop and go" or "feathering" the break, the pedal does "clunk" when I remove my foot. I'm thinking I'll "live with it" ????

#13 ·
"live with it" might have been the wrong decision...Try this test in your driveway. Extend the telescoping steering wheel out fully, and also "tilt" it down to the maximum. Then apply the brakes and release. On each release of the brake pedal, check to see if your brake lights are still on. Do this same test with varying degrees of the adjustable pedals, from all the way out to slightly in (not sure this last part is involved, by the way)..
Here is what happened to me about half-way into a 4-hour drive on my way to visit relatives for the holiday. When leaving a rest area, I put the steering tilt out/down (it wasn't out/down like this before stopping) and got relaxed. It took long enough for things to begin to go "haywire" that I didn't correlate the problem to my steering changes, but essentially, the dealership that I limped into identified this and say they haven't seen it before. The "Service ESC" and "Service Traction" DIC messages appeared while driving, Cruise-control quit working, and RPM Tachometer would wildly fluctuate. At the dealership, the technician, showed me that the electronics thought the brakes were still engaged, as you could still see the brake lights on along with the hand-held ODP unit plugged in showed brakes still "applied"; placing the steering wheel "up" slightly eliminated the errors in the hand-held and symptoms cleared. Dealership sent us on our way and we'll get it "fixed" at home.

#12 ·
Finally, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Mine still "clunks" and it may be normal and not serious, but it is really annoying. I want my salesman to hear its o I'm going back to let him review the problem. I think I may even write a letter to GM to see if they can start gathering some data on complaints and come up with a cure. There has got to be some sort of adjustment or isolator they can use to eliminate the noise. Thanks knsdye for confirming my car was not the lone problem.

#14 ·
Mine does the same thing as above. I tried to replicate that error the user above me mentioned, and I have not had any issues with the wheel in that position; I do have it much higher than that normally however.

The "clunk" noise I think is just two pieces of rubber or similar material striking each other when you let off of the pedal; possibly to keep the pedal from going too far forward.

It is nothing to be picky about for me, all my past vehicles have been worn-in imports and they all had the same brake "clunk" so I did not even think of it as a problem :D

#19 ·
Good info knsdye, as I re-created the brake pedal clunk in my 08 2LT with the steering column in full down position. When I raised it just slightly from the full down, the clunk went away. I read the TSB but is there a fix for that phenomonon? I think I call my dealer and see if they know of any fixes. On another note, as it was listed in the thread, I had the threaded insert problem on my oil pan plug. Recieved a letter, took the car in, changed the insert and got a free oil change at 5,200 miles. Still had 34% on my oil life, but it needed it anyway. Now I can safely change the oil myself from here on out.

#20 ·
My '08 had a clunk that i could feel in the pedal.

The dealer told me it there was a service bulletin for this, they drained/replaced the brake fluid and bled the system.

Problem gone.

Aside from a squeak that's very temperature specific, that is the only issue I've had in 8,000 miles.

#21 ·
My 2008 2LT 4Cyl, also has the brake clunk when the wheel is fully in the down position.

Im glad to hear that there was a fix,
I wonder how changing the brake fluid fixed it?
I also had my wipers stop in the middle of the windshield, and noticed that the is a TSB for that also.
Will take it in in March for the bumpers to be repainted to match the car (white) and hasve both TSB's looked into, and report back.

#22 ·
I noticed the clunk today while driving the Malibu in some slow traffic. Mine didnt have the steering wheel all the way down but I can easily reproduce the clunk while letting off the pedal really fast from a dead stop.

I guess Ill have to take the car into the dealership to get it checked out again.

#23 ·
I have, along with a very noticeable clunk/rattle from the front end at low speeds on uneven road surfaces, a dry rubber rubbing sound coming from the brake pedal when stopping. I read somewhere that GM may have installed the wrong brake fluid in these, causing the master cylinder to make this sound. From what i heard this is not a safety issue but may require removing the fluid and replacing it with the correct fluid. Along with all of this, my ESC comes on out of the blue sometimes when i turn right at low speeds, regardless of the road condition. Needless to say it's going into the shop monday for a full shake down. Mileage just under 10,000.

#24 ·
I know this isn't the same exact problem that all of you are talking about here but, with mine that dry rubber rubbing sound i was having was fixed by my dealer, by replacing the master cylinder reservoir and replacing the brake fluid.

#26 ·
I took mine in for the same noise, and after replacing the booster the noise is still there. The explaination from the dealer? "Unless Chevy redesigns the booster, they can't get rid of the noise. It's a design flaw in the booster." They suggest I call Chevy to voice my complaints.

#27 ·
Sir Real,

Did you make mention of the service bulletin?
and that others with the same issue also had the pedal replaced?

I will take mine in for this when the 1st oil change is due,
Plus have them look at the rear disc's that may have been dragging.

There is a bit of scoring in them already.

#28 ·
I seem to be having a problem w/ my malibu when i make a right turn. When i'm turn the wheel back to straight it seems to be like making a thumping noise. I think I possibly might have bent something over the winter from a pot hole probably. Any one else have this problem.

#29 ·
A couple weeks ago I took my '08 for an oil change and had them check out the brake pedal creaking that's been driving me nuts for a few months now. Well, as usual, they didn't fix it and if there is a service bulletin concerning this issue they must have missed it. Does anyone have a service bulletin number for this or hasn't it been a common enough problem to issue one yet?

#30 ·
Cause:

The EPS (Electronic Power Steering) column motor housing is contacting the bracket for the adjustable pedals. Also some customer may notice a clunk when letting off the brake pedal.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Correction:
•Remove brake booster from cowl, keeping the gasket with the booster.
•Install one washer, p/n 11518111, on each of the two studs of the brake booster and reinstall booster. The washer should be positioned between the cowl and the seal.
•The new brake pedal position must be learned. To learn the new pedal position follow theses sets.

a) Install Tech2/ candi Module and access Body systems/ BCM/ Module set up/ BPP Sensor Calibration and follow the instructions.

Important: The BPP sensor calibration should be done with the steering column in the full down position.
•Clear EBCM related diagnostic codes. (ex. C0131)
•Evaluate that there is no clunk noise when the pedal is released and the steering column is in the full down position and that the brake lights are off with the pedal released.

Note: If a new booster seal is needed the part number is 22729487.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.