Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Service Traction/Service ESC

99K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  muirdor 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 09 Malibu LTZ a little over 2 weeks ago and just the other day the light to the traction icon comes up and then it flashes "Service Traction, Service ESC" It also makes a kind of stutter. It shut off as I was backing out of a parking spot in a shopping center. I restarted the car and went home. As I started it up again to leave later that night it started, and gave a "stutter" and the engine just turned off. The radio, lights everything was on. The car just cut off. Next morning...the car was fine. I have a 30day warranty on the transmission and engine. I dont have money to get it checked out yet by a Chevy Service Dept and Id like to see if it has anything to do with the trans or engine before the thirty days is up. The dealer where I purchased is basically giving me the run around. I will be paying them a visit tho.But has anyone had this problem or has any knowledge about what it could be.

#2 ·
Could be the infamous fretting corrosion issue:

Service Information 2009 Chevrolet Malibu | Malibu (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 2335331
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#09-06-03-004B: Intermittent No Crank/No Start, No Module Communication, MIL, Warning Lights, Vehicle Messages or DTCs Set by Various Control Modules (Disconnect Affected Connector and Apply Dielectric Lubricant) - (Sep 1, 2009)

Subject: Intermittent No Crank/No Start, No Module Communication, MIL, Warning Lights, Vehicle Messages or DTCs Set by Various Control Modules (Disconnect Affected Connector and Apply Dielectric Lubricant)

Models: 2005-2010 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)

2005-2010 HUMMER H2, H3

2005-2009 Saab 9-7X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the subject line and Condition information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-06-03-004A (Section 06 - Engine).

Condition
Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:

• An intermittent no crank/no start

• Intermittent malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illumination

• Intermittent service lamp illumination

• Intermittent service message(s) being displayed

Cause
This condition may be caused by a buildup of nonconductive insulating oxidized debris known as fretting corrosion, occurring between two electrical contact surfaces. This may be caused by any of the following conditions:

• Vibration

• Thermal cycling

• Poor connection/terminal retention

• Micro motion

• A connector, component or wiring harness not properly secured resulting in movement

On low current signal circuits this condition may cause high resistance, resulting in intermittent connections.

On high current power circuits this condition may cause permanent increases in the resistance and may cause a device to become inoperative.

Representative List of Control Modules
The following is only a representative list of control modules that may be affected by this condition and does not include every possible module for every vehicle.

• Blower Control Module

• Body Control Module (BCM)

• Communication Interface Module (CIM)

• Cooling Fan Control Module

• Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)

• Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module (EBTCM)

• Electronic Suspension Control (ESC) Module

• Engine Control Module (ECM)

• Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Control Module

• Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM)

• Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

• Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR)

• Transmission Control Module (TCM)

Correction
Important: DO NOT replace the control module, wiring or component for the following reasons:

• The condition is intermittent and cannot be duplicated.

• The condition is present and by disconnecting/reconnecting the connector the condition can no longer be duplicated.

Use the following procedure to correct the conditions listed above.

Install a scan tool and perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle. Retrieve and record any existing history or current DTCs from all of the control modules (refer to SI).
⇒ If any DTC(s) are set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle to identify the connector(s) of the control module/component which may be causing the condition (refer to SI).

⇒ If DTCs are not set, refer to Symptoms - Vehicle to identify the connector(s) of the control module/component which may be causing the condition (refer to SI).

When identified, use the appropriate DTC Diagnostics, Symptoms, Schematics, Component Connector End Views and Component Locator documents to locate and disconnect the affected harness connector(s) which are causing the condition.
Note: Fretting corrosion looks like little dark smudges on electrical terminals and appear where the actual electrical contact is being made. In less severe cases it may be unable to be seen or identified without the use of a magnifying glass.

Important: Use ONLY a clean nylon brush that is dedicated to the repair of the conditions in this bulletin.

DO NOT apply an excessive amount of dielectric lubricant to the connectors as hydrolock may result when attempting to mate the connectors.

With a one-inch nylon bristle brush, apply dielectric lubricant to both the module/component side and the harness side of the affected connector(s).
Reconnect the affected connector(s) and wipe away any excess lubricant that may be present.
Attempt to duplicate the condition by using the following information:
- DTC Diagnostic Procedure

- Circuit/System Description

- Conditions for Running the DTC

- Conditions for Setting the DTC

- Diagnostic Aids

- Circuit/System Verification

⇒ If the condition cannot be duplicated, the repair is complete.

⇒ If the condition can be duplicated, then follow the appropriate DTC, Symptom or Circuit/System Testing procedure (refer to SI).

Repair Order Documentation
Important: The following information MUST be documented on the repair order. Failure to do so may result in a chargeback.

• Customer vehicle condition.

• Was a Service Lamp or Service Message illuminated? If yes, specify which Service Lamp or Service Message.

• Was a DTC(s) set? If yes, specify which DTC(s) were set.

• After following the procedure contained within this bulletin, could the condition be duplicated?

⇒ If the condition was not duplicated, then document the affected module/component connector name and number on the repair order.

• If the condition was duplicated after the procedure contained within this bulletin was followed, and additional diagnosis led to the replacement of a module or component, the SI Document ID Number MUST be written on the repair order.

© 2011 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

#3 ·
Could be the infamous fretting corrosion issue:

<Snip>

Note: Fretting corrosion looks like little dark smudges on electrical terminals and appear where the actual electrical contact is being made. In less severe cases it may be unable to be seen or identified without the use of a magnifying glass.

<Snip>

© 2011 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Fretting is a very possible cause. I have a question for you, though. Did the weather suddenly go from hot to cold and maybe even go from clear to raining hard? Earlier this year the weather went from hot, humid, and clear to cold and rainy, losing about 20*F in as many minutes. When I headed home, my '11 started but I had a slew of lights and messages. The traction was off and wouldn't turn on, the ESC was off and wouldn't turn on, the traction light on the dash was on, and the DIC said that engine power was reduced. It is a V6 and it drove like it had a 3-cylinder! Called the service department the next morning and they had never heard of it. Took it in the next day - nothing could be found.

I believe that the sudden change in humidity caused the moisture to settle out on anything it could, causing issues with the computer(s) and resulting in what I experienced. But that's just conjecture and theory since I can't prove it.

If the weather wasn't an issue in your case then stick with the learned input you get from Rodents, et al. And please post whatever you find out about this condition. We'll all benefit.

#10 ·
This is EXACTLY what is going on with my car. We had Hurricane Isaac fly by and bring the worst feeder bands I've ever seen. I went out Sunday in the car and I didn't drive through standing water but it was still wet and I lost traction a couple of times. Actually, I remember hitting some water near the curbs and having that splash all over the place. Then when I got home, I let the car sit in the driveway and the worst of the rain and winds came through. We even lost power for a bit. Anyway, I went in it this morning to go to work and it started and the rpm needle was bouncing lower and lower and it was shuddering and it turned off. Now, the traction off light is lit, the ESC off and Traction off message comes up. The weather went from high 80s (Friday) to the low 70s (Sunday) and all that water blew all around and under my car. I'm hoping it just needs to dry out and that it will be fine. :(

#4 ·
Probably not going to be the engine or trans.

For starters, the car needs to be scanned for ABS codes. You may have bought a car with a several hundred dollar problem.

Do you have a return option on that car? If yes, I'd be tempted to exercise it & next time you buy a used car factor in an extended warranty. My 2 cents.

#5 ·
I dont have the option to return the vehicle. No refunds/returns. The weather was about 90-85 degrees. I live in South Florida so...its pretty warm. There was no big change in the weather. I going to have the car checked out tomorrow morning. Diagnostic. I did speak to a cousin of mine who is a certified mech and has his own shop. He was the first to say that he believes its a transmission problem. Pepboys said the same. I called two Chevy Service Centers and they do not believe it necessarily has anything to do with the trans. One said he believes it is a fuel problem since the car is starting back up after it stops. I went to AutoZone to see if I could get it scanned and the man there told me that the scanners are for when u have a check engine light. And we spoke he also said he doesnt believe its a trans problem. But my question is....traction and stability have to do with the wheels, so why is the car turning off? Its driving perfect now, but Im still going to have it checked in the AM just to find out what actually is going on. Hope its nothing TOO major because I already replaced a trans in my old 99 accord...bought this car to stop the problems, only to have more. I dont have money for all these repairs. But I will keep everyone posted (anyone who cares) cause I know it can be helpful to anyone else who may have a similar problem in the future. THANKS!

#6 · (Edited)
I went to AutoZone to see if I could get it scanned and the man there told me that the scanners are for when u have a check engine light.
I doubt those retailers have ABS code readers. There are many codes that won't illuminate the CEL as the CEL is intended for emissions-related issues. Take any info you receive from auto store clerks with a grain of salt.

But my question is....traction and stability have to do with the wheels, so why is the car turning off?
You could have two distinct problems. We just don't have near enough info to do much but guess at your problem/s. Checking for codes is always the correct starting point when diagnosing. If no codes are found, that is also an important clue.

#8 ·
Okay...Here's the deal. I was basically sold a used lemon. I took the car to the Chevy Service Dept and they did a diagnostic on the vehicle and they found 21 codes from the scan. I was told that they can not tell me exactly why the car is shutting off because there are so many codes that they would need to dig deeper. It would cost me an extra 71 bucks and it would be a waste when the dealer should be fixing the car. I was told what they found and the paper they gave me was enough proof for the dealer to fix the car. But they did tell me that there was a piece of a can, YES! a piece of a can used to tighten a loose battery terminal. And that could have caused a lot of the problems that I was experiencing. They fixed that for me and told me to drive the car and see if its any better. The bulb for the check engine light either went out or was removed. I believe it was removed. They suggested that we return the car. My dad contacted a lawyer immediately as we were driving out of the service center. Saw the lawyer and he contacted the President of the "dealership" and of course they didnt hang up the phone in his face. He promised to fix the car. We went and asked for a refund on the down payment of the vehicle. He declined. He said that he could put in me in another car or fix the car for me. I argued that...How could I ever trust you to fix a car that has so many problems that will be a deficit to you? You had to know the car had some kind of problem. I informed them that I dont trust them and I know they overcharged me for the car, there was no fee from the bank, that I know it was purchased from an auction, that it was illegal for them to not give me the documents that I signed, and illegal for "whoever" removed the check engine light bulb. But he still refused to refund the money. So we left the car, told them to fix it and if it wasnt up to par, that he'd see what would happen. #LAWSUIT!

#9 · (Edited)
The bulb for the check engine light either went out or was removed. I believe it was removed.
You wouldn't be the first to have that crap happen to them. The lamp is an smd type & soldered onto the circuit board so someone probably cut one the the leads.

You can buy a code reader now for about 20 bucks now & check for codes yourself right on the lot.

Also, the instrument panel lamps are all tested at key on. Every one should come on at that time.

#11 ·
Sorry, to hear about your problems but if you wanted a trouble-free car the Malibu probably wasn't the best choice. I really like my Bu when it's running right but's defnitely been a love/hate relationship! Now that mine is out of warranty I'm looking for a good oppurtunity to get rid of it.

#14 ·
i noticed the same "service esc" message last winter when i start the car in the morning. But i also notice its just at that time in the morning if the car been sitting for hours. The weather and humidity here in gulfport MS is Unbelievable, that i think thats the cause of the problem in my case. The car runs fine even with the "service esc" indicator on the dash. I'm still keeping an eye on it and watching for any changes.

#15 ·
Great notes you're taking, dwillsr505! Knowing that your Malibu does this once your vehicle has sat for a few hours may help the dealership when they perform the diagnosis. Please let us know once you decide to go in to have the "service esc" checked and we'd be happy to follow up with the dealer. Stay cool.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#17 ·
well it seems as if the "SERVICE ESC" issue is here to stay. What i've notice so far is that starting the car is ok but as soon as i turn the steering wheel to the right and only to the right without even moving the warning message comes on. I'll be taking it to the dealership and see what the have to say. It still drives ok but something not communication right or like it says "SERVICE ESC". I will report back when i take her in next week to see what is what.

#20 ·
I have had the same issues as the OP for about a month. Finally set a p0201 code. Checked injectors and all read within .25 ohms of each other. Did continuity test on black wire for #1 injector and found it to be open. Dismantled connector and found wire separated at crimp. Made a temp splice, reinstalled harness and issue has been cleared. Ordered new harness. 84k on car and has been marginal at best from mile one. Hope this helps someone!

#22 ·
So I finally got a recall for mt malibu which perfectly described these issues. Took it to the dealership where they "repaired" it but it continues to have these issues. I called gm they said it looked as if the repair was never done. Gm called the dealership who said they repaired it and it needed another diagnostic. That would be 3 freaking diagnostics! I'm livid and would like to know if anyone has been able to successfully repair this issue and how? If it was working id trade it in however it continues to flash esc off. Service esc. Service traction and shakes like its going to stall. This is not a safe vehice for my children like I intended it to be when I purchased it! A well maintained car with 60000 miles should not have the laundry list of problems I have already dealt with.

#23 ·
iT APPEARS THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE THIS PROBLEM. There is a service bulletin referenced on this forum repeatedly.
in my case I had two intermittent/broken wires in the harness that comes out of the center of the engine, slightly to the left.
If you don't get it fixed free, and you have a 30 day warranty, I'd get the money back.

I used to love this car, but this is an absurd condition, widespread, that by now should be EASILY diagnosed and fixed. There is a recall on the car for this issue, but I see from here that the recall is hardly done right.

Next time, buy a Jap car. I will

#24 · (Edited)
iT APPEARS THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE THIS PROBLEM. There is a service bulletin referenced on this forum repeatedly.
in my case I had two intermittent/broken wires in the harness that comes out of the center of the engine, slightly to the left.
If you don't get it fixed free, and you have a 30 day warranty, I'd get the money back.

I used to love this car, but this is an absurd condition, widespread, that by now should be EASILY diagnosed and fixed. There is a recall on the car for this issue, but I see from here that the recall is hardly done right.

Next time, buy a Jap car. I will
Yep, run off to another brand. That kind of mentality is covered in the Handbook for Children, page 2, where it says, "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence."

Every car maker has issues in every vehicle they build. Some have more and some less, and within each brand some models are better and some are worse.

Every car maker also has issues that rise to the level of requiring a recall. The problem is that until they open their eyes or have them forced open by other means, the issues that owners experience won't be addressed until the recall is issued. And then it could be only after a number of people have died. Such is the case with Toyota's unintended acceleration, Honda's airbag issues, and Chevy's ignition switch issue. In all three cases deaths were reported. Toyota dragged its feet for a long time before being forced into recognizing that an issue existed. Chevy was the same way. Honda's airbag issue is only in its infancy and I expect that they, along with all the other manufacturers who used Takata equipment, will deny the need for a recall until such time as someone with enough political and/or legal strength is able to force them to do something to correct it.

Wouldn't it be nice if a company saw fit to see the need clearly and act upon it quickly? That's a company who'd get more customers than they could shake a stick at just because they'd be perceived as having ethics. But that's not how the legal system is built, and not how Big Business works. It's idealistic folly to believe that any big company will act in a way that shows compassion for the human beings affected by their products.

I'll be the first to admit that I inhabit the border between idealistic and realistic, finding myself in one camp or the other at different times.

So go buy a Jap car. Not saying there aren't any that are decent cars, but that isn't the real solution to your issue.

#25 ·
I am an aircraft mechanic for Delta Airlines. I do all my own work and performed the service bulletin as was stated in their paperwork. It was no help. I check the fuel injection harness underneath the engine cover and found a broken wire to number one injector. I purchased a new harness installed it and no more problems. This is been the issue from the beginning. The car is better now than it has ever been. I too was ready to give it away but now am satisfied with the car. Fuel mpg also ticked upward a little I guess due to the short in the injector wire. I purchased the harness from eBay for 65 new in box. Took approx 45 minutes start to finish. Good luck!

#26 ·
Nice contribution! Thank you very much for stopping by and sharing your experience and knowledge with and for the rest of us!

Was that on the I4 or V6?

#28 ·
Hi,

I am experiencing the a similar if not the same issue with my Malibu. This morning I went out to the garage to head to work, when I started the Malibu, I noticed the engine was sort of shaking/sputtering, I put it in reverse and backed out of the garage. After backing out of the garage, I received an audible ding chime, followed by the Check Engine light flashing, then the 'Service ESC' message, and finally the 'Service Traction' message. I turned the car off, when I restarted, received the same string of errors, only this time the Check Engine light remained solid. I turned the car off a second time and then back on and only the Check Engine light came on and remained on. The 'Service ESC' and 'Service Traction' messages did not come back on. The engine also was no longer shaking/sputtering.

My knowledge of cars is limited, does anyone know if this is something that can be dangerous or a big concern to drive with? I have a 3 1/2 yr old and want to make sure the car is safe to drive with them in the car.

Thank you in advanced for any help or feedback!

#29 ·
Hi

I kinda have the same issue with 2011 Malibu LT I tried to start it yesterday morning it didn't work and "Service ESC" and "Service Traction" start popping out. I switched it off, waited for like an hour restart and it worked no more messages however it was stuttering before starting.
Same thing happened this morning when I went inside to drive to work, it refuses to start and I received the same message, 2 minutes later I ignite it and it worked and no more messages, I don't know what to do right now and I am planning to drive to a city 3 hours from my place but frankly I am not comfortable driving the car that long with that issue.

Your advises will be really helpful.

Thanks,
Moosah

#31 ·
Search this website for "fretting corrosion" and read about that. It's possible that the BCM plug needs to be removed and reinserted several times (remove battery cable first) to clean the terminals. There is a recall (13046) that is supposed to address this issue but I wonder just how good of a job the tech will do. I had it done to mine and I'm getting the Service ESC message more frequently, but it could be a worn hub and/or wire issue that is being detected.

#32 ·
Update... I got my 09 malibu fixed for this exact problem. Turns out the wiring harness to the fuel injectors was bad and one wire was conpletely severed. The dealership told me I was running on one cylinder and that why I was having some many problems. It was $330 to fix and haven't had a problem since! It was ironic since the first time I took it to the dealership they said I needed an entire fuel injector and they wouldn't do it unless I replaced the harness too. Seems like someone was just trying to scam me out of another $700! 2 other dealerships couldn't even figure out what was wrong!

#33 ·
My 2010 had EXACTLY this problem, and it was also one of the wires going into one of the fuel injectors. I had earlier diagnosed this as general fretting, and was able to diagnose the exact connection to the harness by noticing a change when I reseated the wiring sockets. Thus with a known problem, I got a mechanic to solder the wire (after he traced it down to which one of the six was actually broken) for $110. No problems since.

#34 ·
This problem happens to me in my 2010 Chevy Malibu LTZ only when using cruise control. After I stopped using cruise control (on long trips), I have not seen this problem.
Being a computer nerd, I bet this is a computer bug. It has all the makings of one.
My hunch is a firmware upgrade is required to fix it.

Alternatively, I wonder if the accelerator pedal sensor is influenced by cruise control and therefore the root cause of the problem. In otherwords, maybe it's when the pedal is in a steady state for a long period of time, the sensor triggers a bug in the computer.
Happy Patching!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.