Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Brake light on

27K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  cerbomark 
#1 ·
IHA 97 Chevy Malibu. The e-brake light came on today with the brake off. I engaged it and released it several times. The brake releases but the light stays on accompanied by that really annoying "Bing! Bing! Bing!" when I drive off.

Is there a switch or something I can check?

#3 ·
I checked the reservoir. It's full. The brakes are new(er). This is the first time this has happened. I know the e-brake is disengaging because there is no "lag" or sluggish feeling when driving. Nor does it have that aromatic burnt dog hair smell. Is it possible it is not fully releasing the shoes? Enough so that it drives fine but not enough that the system thinks it is still engaged?

#4 ·
I dont know where your are from, but where i am, Upper Michigan, hard anyone uses the E-brake becuse it is rarely used and gets rusty preventing it from releasing. If the rims are hot after driving a little bit then my guess its the brakes draging. as it is for the e brake light check the fuses, still bother yu take black tape over it or pull the bulb out. I seen/had cars with the light on, doesnt mean that there is anything wrong.

#5 ·
California. Inland. No rust issues here. While I appreciate the tape idea I would prefer to find the problem and fix it.

BTW, all fuses are good.

Would it be worth my time to take off the rear drums and check to see of the shoes are releasing all the way? Although, I'm not sure that would be productive since the brake is releasing. It's that light on the dash and the “bing, bing, bing” that is the real problem.

Where are the sensors for that?

#6 ·
i personally dont think that you would have to take the tires and the drums off, when your driving through town i would pull over somewhere and feel the center of the rim. On my 08 the brakes were draging and i couldnt even touch the rims they were so hot. If they are warm or cool then it is proably safe to say that they are not draging.

I dont completly understand what you mean by bing bing bing...

#7 ·
The "Bing" noise it the warning chime that sounds when the parking brake is still engaged.

The cable for the e-brake is moving when the peddle is depressed and then released again. Could it be a sensor? If so, where would it be on the e-brake mechanism?

#8 ·
i pretty sure that there is not a sensor to sort of speak there is a switch i believe. i could be at the top of the e brake lever where it is mounted, that would be my guess. Ill ask people around my area and see if they have any suggestions. Nothing else you could always bring it somewhere and ask.

#9 ·
I have a 97 and our cars when you have the E brake on and start driving away the chime goes off to warn you that its engaged. You would probably have better results asked for help over at www.unitedmalibus.com. Not saying that these guys can not help you but over there they are more geared to the 97-03 malibus instead of the 08s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.