Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

thermostat removal help NEEDED 1997 malibu

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
im having trouble locating the thermostat on my 1997 Malibu can anyone help me out o btw i have no idea on hot to work on cars so pictures would be nice ha ha.

#4 ·
I do not have it handy, but there's pics at www.alldatadiy.com if you subscribe for a year.

RwP

#5 ·
Very nice for you to suggest AllData but actually this is a budget repair and I have already purchased a water pump, bypass tube, and the parts needed for the thermostat. I'm actually tapped out and don't have any more.

Frankly, this is for a homeless lady with her three children. It is to get her back where she has transportation to get a job. I figured someone might have a diagram somewhere.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Purchase of one year or AllDataDiy. It would be nice to have but honestly, if she had the $26, I bet she'd spend it on food anyway.

#6 ·
If it's the 3100 V6 then you'll need to pull a couple hoses to get to it as it's underneath the throttle body. I had a '97 Grand Prix 3100 and worked on it a couple of times. One of the bolts is so close to other stuff that you'll need a box wrench to get it out.

#7 ·
Thank you, I'm pretty sure I have found it. I've take a lot more items off but in the big scheme of things, it was probably better this way.

I had read in several places that it was under the TPS so I took it off again. I had already replaced the coolant transfer pipe because it had a hole in it so since it was under the TPS, I took it off again. Now I have a ton of room and see where I'm sure it is at but now the exhaust protector is in the way. I might have been able to bend it out of the way but I'm not real sure so I'm taking it out of the way, actually I got four screws out of it and darned if there isn't one more screw somewhere else. It got dark so I'll find that last screw first thing tomorrow and get the protector off, that should leave me with a perfect shot to the thermostat.

We will see tomorrow, thank you for the assistance,

#8 ·
I think I speak for most if not all members in saying that you're doing a wonderful thing by working on this lady's car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.