Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassette player/new cd player instllation

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  maxarbit 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

First of all, I know that this topic has probably been beaten to death. However, I am still unable to find an answer that I can be contented with. So posting it here.

I have a 2002 Malibu with a factory installed CD/radio player. It doesn't have a cassette player. Obviously, I would love to play music from my iPhone/usb music stick. I do not mind installing a cassette player and using the aux cassette player or for that matter, even installing a new CD player. However, as I read about installing the new CD player, there seem to be lot of issues with respect to: (a) having to buy lot of accessories to get it working (b) and obviously ending up paying for the installation too, if i get it done outside.

First question: I see a tag on my current cd player which says (CD aux). Does that mean I have an aux connection somewhere? It's certainly not there in the front. If yes, how can i use it to play from my music player with aux input.

Second question: I see that there is a slot available in my dash below the AC controls. Is that space for a cassette player? In that case, can I buy a cassette player from ebay or some such sites and install it?

Third question: If none of the above work, and I do get a new CD player, how hard is it to install it myself? I know the CD player would cost around 80-100. But what about the accessories. I can't just get a hold of a list of all the accessories I would need.

Thanks! Waiting for replies!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Can you please let me know the total amount that you ended up spending including the installation? Even a rough estimate, if you don't remember the exact price, is also good enough. I just want to make sure I don't end up spending a lot more than I should!

#4 · (Edited)
I believe the total cost installed was around $175.00. Price can vary with the year vehicle you have, also.
I know I could have bought a new complete radio with usb capability, but I wanted to keep the factory info center, plus my factory radio plays and sounds great, including the CD player.
Check this thread page here:http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=91514#post91514
I have a few photos of my setup with my ipod nano mount.

#5 ·
I did finally get this thing installed - like you suggested at best buy.
The total cost when bought at best buy was around 175$. However, when I came back and checked the prices at Amazon, they were way lower than what I was charged. I had to go back to best buy to do a price match and they did. Finally it all came down to ~125$!!

Thanks again for the great tip. This was what I was looking for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.