Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Modest Vibration/Shimmy at 15MPH

53K views 68 replies 27 participants last post by  heato 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased a CPO 2011 LTZ 2.4 about a month ago. I soon discovered that there is a slight vibration or shimmy. I feel it when lightly accelerating from a stop into a right-hand turn (ie. at a stop light, making a RT turn). After the apex of the turn, when starting to straighten out the steering wheel, I get a mild vibration when the car hits about 15mph. It is very brief, and is completely gone before I hit 20mph. The vib/shimmy is felt in the steering wheel and seat. Under moderate and hard acceleration, it can't be felt (presumably because it passes the 15-18mph range so quickly).

I took it into the Buick/GMC dealership where I purchased the car. They couldn't even feel it, but balanced and rotated the tires anyway. No improvement or change at all. So last night I took it into a Chevy dealership by my house. I test rode with a tech, and he felt it every time that I did. He described it as feeling like it briefly drive over a small oil slick, and it then gripped and cause it to shimmy a little.

I get a call from the service advisor saying that everything checks out. They took a look at the bearings, suspension, etc, and can't find anything wrong. I personally think that it could be related to the electric power assist steering, but that's just an uneducated layman guess. They're not entertaining that idea though.

They are supposedly calling GM tech support, but I didn't get a very promising feeling from the service advisor.

Any ideas from you guys? This is not a major issue, but I'm OCD about noises, squeaks, vibrations, etc in my car and this will drive me crazy for as long as I own it.

In case any GM/Chevy customer service reps are here, my VIN is 1G1ZE5E14BF393890

See less See more
#2 ·
If you go to an empty parking lot, and drive around in a circle at 15 mph, perhaps you can get it to do this for a longer period of time and learn more about it. I would suspect one of the CV joints in the right hand axle. A bad CV joint can cause a surging vibration and or clicking sound related to wheel speed. This should all be covered by your power train warranty.

#3 ·
If you go to an empty parking lot, and drive around in a circle at 15 mph, perhaps you can get it to do this for a longer period of time and learn more about it. I would suspect one of the CV joints in the right hand axle. A bad CV joint can cause a surging vibration and or clicking sound related to wheel speed. This should all be covered by your power train warranty.

Correct, but in order for it to be covered under warranty, they have to be able to identify a defective part. That's what they're having trouble with right now.

Still waiting for a call back from dealer #2 this afternoon.

PS - Good idea about driving in a circle.

#4 ·
Ok, this is really frustrating. I went on GM's tech website (acdelcotechconnect.com) and paid $20 for a 3-day subscription to GM's service publications for my car. I quickly found a bulletin for my VERY EXACT problem (PI0702B).

Called up the dealer and gave them the info. Duh! Why couldn't two different dealers locate this info themselves?????? Argh!

Service Information 2011 Chevrolet Malibu [1G1ZE5E14BF393890] | Malibu VIN Z Service Manual | Driveline/Axle | Bulletins By Category | Information | Document ID: 2812893
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PI0702B: Wobble Felt in Vehicle Acceleration from Stop Through 1-2 Shift - (Apr 3, 2012)
Subject: Wobble Felt in Vehicle Acceleration from Stop Through 1-2 Shift

Models: 2008-2012 Chevrolet Malibu

Equipped with Engine RPO LE5 and Automatic Transmission RPO MH8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI is being revised to change the labor time. Please discard PI0702A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers or technicians may notice a wobble felt in the vehicle or steering wheel when accelerating from a stop through the 1-2 shift and/or slip/stick conditions when the vehicle shifts from 1-2 up to approximately 32♦km/h (20♦mph). This concern may be more prevalent with a passenger in the front and/or turning to the right while accelerating.

Forces generated by the front axle shafts may cause the powertrain to move laterally. These forces are induced by friction in the inboard axle joints due to the angle of the axles. The forces vary based on the phase orientation of the axle joints to each other.

Recommendation/Instructions

Loosen the four engine and transmission mounts. Adjust the engine position so that the engine mount bolts are centered on the engine mount as shown in the picture above. Pictures marked “A” are before and “B” are after. Arrows point to front of the vehicle. The mount pictured is below the airbox. Then tighten the remainder of the mounts.

Tighten
Tighten the engine mount to bracket bolts to 58♦N·m (42♦lb♦ft).
Tighten
Tighten the transmission mount through bolts to 90♦N·m (66♦lb♦ft).
Tighten
Tighten the transmission mount bolts to 50♦N·m (37♦lb♦ft).

Drive the vehicle and evaluate the concern. The concern can be duplicated by driving the vehicle in a long gradual turn with the transmission in 2nd gear while using the brakes to maintain a speed of 24♦km/h (15♦mph) and engine at 2000 RPM.

If the mount adjustment does not eliminate the concern, new design half shafts have been released to address this condition. These new axles have new grease that reduces friction in the joint.

Note: Once these half shafts have been installed, perform the following break-in procedure:

1. From a stop, accelerate wide open throttle through the 1-2 shift up to 64♦km/h (40♦mph).

2. Decelerate to a stop.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 a total of 20 times.

Important: If the concern is still present after replacing the half shafts, contact Technical Assistance (TAC).

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

LH Front Wheel Drive Shaft

RH Front Wheel Drive Shaft

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

J7574*

Engine and Transmission Mount Balancing

0.7♦hr

Add

To Install RH and LH Front Wheel Drive Shafts

1.2♦hrs

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

#10 · (Edited)
Update/Resolution

For anyone that may have this problem in the future, I wanted to provide an update. On Tuesday the dealer replaced both half shafts (axles) per the bulletin. I picked it up on Tuesday night, and have since put about 75 miles on the car. I believe that the problem is now 95%-100% cured. I only leave the 5% variance because sometimes I "think" that I can still feel a very slight remnant of the original vibration. But it's so weak that I believe it's just my imagination, fear, or OCD (or a combo of all three). Honestly, I think that the problem is now gone. I'm going to give it a good week before I officially close the case on this, but so far so good (before the fix, I could duplicate the problem on demand). To recap, the bulletin from GM is a "Preliminary Information" bulletin, number PI0702B. I'm attaching low quality JPEG images, but feel free to email me if you want the PDF. bamorris2 at gmail dot com.

Regarding the (incompetent) original dealer that I went to, I sent a very honest (yet professional and respectful) email to the owner, explaining my complete dismay at the service tech's inability to locate this bulletin. To my surprise, I got a voicemail from the owner within a few hours. He appologized, and said that an $80 check will be mailed out to me ($20 for subscription fee and $60 for the wheel balance and alignment that I had done to try to fix the problem). So assuming that I actually receive the $80 check, I guess that shows that they at least care. No hard feelings with them.

***EDIT***
I forgot to add that while my car was being fixed, the dealership gave me a rental. It was a 2012 Malibu 1LT. It had the EXACT SAME problem! That got me to wondering if the majority of these cars have the same problem, and people just don't notice it becuase it's not severe and can easily be mistaken for irregularities in the road.

I also wonder if this problem will come back long-term. The bulletin says that the only change to the new axles is a different lubricant that reduces friction. How long is that lubricant good for? Seems to me like the revised lube may just be a band-aid for a flaw in the axles themselves.

Attachments

#7 ·
UPDATE

Yesterday they performed the first half of the bulletin by re-centering the engine & transmission mounts. They called and said it's done. I picked it up last night, and promptly returned to the dealership this morning. The shimmy/vib is still there. The service advisor is ordering the new axles, and they should arrive next Tuesday.

#12 ·
I had all the same issues that you have had with my 2011 Chevy Malibu 1LT. I bought it with 120 miles on it, noticed the wobble as I pulled off the dealership lot - reported the problem - before going on vacation with that car - at 3,000 miles; 3150; 4210; was taken back to 2 different dealerships - they couldn't figure out the problem - was told it was the electronic steering sensor that was too sensitive and there wasn't anything they could do about it (filed first GM case - and was closed even though problem wasn't fixed). Long story short - 12 months and 30,000 miles of this problem I had enough and started doing some research - and found the bulletins - contacted GM - and the opened another "case" with them. After 3 Months are arguing with GM - they adjusted the engine/transmission mount bolts - problem still there - did 3 alignments/tire rotations - problem still there - ordered and changed the shafts - car was good for about 2 weeks - and now the wobble is back - traded the malibu in on a different vehicle because I had enough - GM placed a gm protection plan on new vehicle for me - but wouldn't offer any other assistance. Very frustrated with GM since we have been very VERY loyal GM customers for the last 10 years - purchasing 13 vehicles 5 of which were brand new.... Never again will we purchase GM.

#13 ·
I can understand how you feel! I have had multiple problems with Steering issue in the past on my Malibu. They had replaced the entire Steering Rack and it pretty much had corrected my issue.

Time to time I do sense/feel an slight clunk feeling in the Steering but it has not been consistent enough to pinpoint / have it checked out.

The generation 7 Model has been know to have some Steering issues. The Non-Hydraulic have even had a Recall in the past! My oldest Sister almost got into an accident because of the issue! Shortly after that she Traded-out for a new car! "Hyundai Genesis"

Don't take me wrong, the Malibu is / can be a nice car, once all bugs are worked out! GM does make some really nice vehicles, especially their line of trucks! My question is, why should anybody have to experience this on a New/Newer Car? It is just Unacceptable. IMHO!

I wish you the best of luck!;)

#15 ·
I am having the exact same problems that you all have described exactly as if I wrote it. Although they did all the repairs with no permanent change. One thing I notice is if they put it up in the air or make adjustments its seems good for 50 to 100 miles and then it starts again. Also after replacing the axles with the version 2 it not only wobbles off of turns but now it constantly wobbles between 38mph to 41mph. The last ride along the service manager did not notice. It is frustrating because for me as it seems dependent on the temperature and road conditions. He said there is nothing else they can do for me. So annoyed with Gm. I have had a leaking headlight replaced, rear trailing arm right replaced off the lot around a 100 miles on the od, 4 different axles, seat adjustment for squeak which is still there, and various other issues.

#16 ·
My 2011 Malibu 1LT has done this since it was new. Mine is more prevelant when someone is in the front passenger seat. I've had it to the dealer twice for this issue. The first time I did'nt realize that some had to be in the front passenger seat so it it's hard to detect, they said they could'nt feel it and sent me on my way. At that point I thought I could live with it. Now it seems to be getting worse so I took it to the dealer and they drove it with a passenger and felt the shake. The service guy at the counter recommended a rotation and balance, and assured me that it would take of it at a cost of $60.00 to me. I told him that I did'nt think that would fix it, and it did'nt. I have another appintment tommorrow and I'll have to show them the bulletin stated on here. I'm glad I have to deal with incompetant service consultants.

#18 ·
Michelle,
The visit went good. They ordered the parts as per bulletin PI0702B and it'll go in on Tuesday 9/25 to get that done. I really hope that this takes care of the problem. I'm also getting the $60.00 refunded for the rotation and balance. I'll keep you posted and I'll let you know if I need your assistance on this matter. I'd also like say thanks to bamorris2 for finding this bulletin.

Thanks,
Jeff

#21 ·
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum and a new owner of a 2011 Malibu LT and it's disheartening to read all the posts about these common issues. I'd hate for my first post to be this one but I too have felt all these symptoms. The car has just under 40k miles and this is my second week with it. I have an appointment at Carmax tomorrow for most of these symptoms and I honestly don't know where to start. I don't want to go through the hassle of coming and going multiple times so they try to figure out what the issue is. I love the car for it's styling and space but again this is a little disheartening. My famly too have been loyal fans of GM since my dad and grandfather retired from there and this is just another addition to our extended history and so far I'm not completely happy about all these bugs.

Question for bamorris2 or anyone else that might know- where can I find the specific service bulletins issued for my Malibu? That might be a great place to start to hopefully save some trips to the dealer.

Thanks!

#22 ·
Question for bamorris2 or anyone else that might know- where can I find the specific service bulletins issued for my Malibu? That might be a great place to start to hopefully save some trips to the dealer.

Thanks!
I apologize, I just found the link. I'm going to print out whatever is applicable for my car and start there. Hope our issues are resolved soon and permanently. I'd really like to keep this car for a long time.

#23 ·
Well, I talked to another dealership in Des Moines Iowa and the service manager there said in looking at our records that my dealership only replaced the passenger axle instead of both as stated in the bulletin. I would expect them to replace the drivers side even if he cannot duplicate it. It took a lot the first time for them to duplicate the issue as it usually takes a longer trip to make it more noticeable. Very annoying, whenever they lift the car for any service and then put it back down the wobble is usually gone for about 50 to 100 miles

#24 ·
Well, I talked to another dealership in Des Moines Iowa and the service manager there said in looking at our records that my dealership only replaced the passenger axle instead of both as stated in the bulletin. I would expect them to replace the drivers side even if he cannot duplicate it.
So, did the second dealer replace the driver side for you or just send you on your way?

Mine has been pretty much vibration free for 1500 miles since they replaced the half shafts.

#30 ·
Well I'm a new member here. Good to be here except for the fact that the only reason I found this forum is because my 2012 Malibu has this exact same problem. When I Googled the problem "Malibu steering vibration" I was led right to this thread.

Many thanks to the owners of this forum and the member that posted the TSB from GM. Now I need to print out the TSB and go through the headache of getting my car to the dealer which is 40 miles away. My car now has 3500 miles and the problem seems to have gotten worse since new.

Then there is the rattle/buzz in the headliner on the driver's side right next to my ear. :mad: It is really annoying. Right now the problem for me is time. I work 60+ hours a week often 7 days a week and don't have time to deal with this.

The headliner I can understand. Stuff happens, and nothing made by man is flawless. Sometimes an adjustment needs to be made when parts are fit together. On the other hand, the steering situation is unforgivable. How is it 4 years into the life cycle of the Malibu, GM still hasn't fixed this problem, and integrated the updated parts into the assembly of the 2012 models?

What are the chances I can get a loaner car from my dealer?

#35 ·
Hello,

I just received a call from the Gm Customer service and between her and the "engineer" they have decided to replace "springs". After speaking with my local dealership they did replace both axles after all though I am not sure who to trust of course. So we will see what they mean by "springs" as soon as my appointment is set and I drive away with no wobble.

Thanks all for this forum I love it.

Jay

#34 ·
Many have / had this issue on the Malibu! I had noticed mine started with a slight vibration when getting on the highway, heading to the dealership to trade-out!

That absolutely confirmed / put in my mind that I was making the right choice getting rid of the"Malibu" and made it less painful taking the loss!

Many have this issue and many don,t but many end up experiencing this issue to some degree after some miles, eventually!

Don't know what the issue is but GM is aware of the issue and has failed to correct the problem. It seems to be a design issue that can only be corrected to a certain point. A band-aid, so to speak!

Good Luck!

#39 ·
So after they replaced the Springs (V6 type) it handles better but after about 80 miles over the weekend the wobble came back. Now I have a slight clunk type of sound over bumpy roads as well as you can hear a rhythmic type rubbing sound that goes along with the wobble. Thank you GM for my FIRST new American car experience. After this we will be back to Hyundai and Nissan for. thank you.

That said, I am waiting for a response from the regional manager? from GM

#38 ·
Hello just wanted to say that my 09 Malibu which I just purchased has been experiencing this problem as well. I did a search on it and thats actually what led me to this site. I have a pretty decent vibration as described in the first post and I printed this very conversation out and took it to my dealership. The service manager and I took a little drive and he felt the vibration as well. They then ordered the new shafts and I am supposed to go in this coming week to have them installed. Will let you all know what the deal is. Funny thing is the manager told me that there have been a good number of others in the past who came in before me and complained about this problem. They had no idea about the service bulletin and therefore im sure many just went back home thinking it was normal and they were just going to have to deal with it.

#41 · (Edited)
UPDATE

First I want to say that the dealership has been extremely wonderful through this ordeal. We bought our 2012 Malibu in November of 2011.

So all has gone silent here. I am still having issues and calls from GM have ceased. I have my lemon law papers printed off ready to send to GM.

The last fix of springs and Engine Balance did not fix the issue

The Wobble and clunk is still our issue. * represents this issue among the others and is listed in order from the most recent visit yesterday the 29th of November 2012 to the first on December of 2011

I will list what has been done to our vehicle per my invoices from the dealer over the course of this year. Any opinions on my position to pursue the lemon law in my case would be great. The wobble is my main concern though not the only one. Also note that for each time I had an issue they would sometimes withhold my invoice or ticket because the issue was not solved and would then have to return so I have been to the dealer numerous more times than my these suggest. (also note, writing in parenthesis is my notes pertaining to the issue prestated)

Most current:

17,200 miles November 29th 2012

*Per Tac request loosened all powertrain mounts drove vehicle stop and go accompanied by three figure 8's then without lifting the vehicle tightening all the engine mounts. (Per the service manager noted the mounts were “bound up” I did not understand his explanation to what that meant) concern not verified therefore repair not verified

travel track of front exterior door handle not of original shape twist and swell cause the handle to hang up inside the door handle replaced

16,050 miles October 23rd 2012

*There is a driveline vibration intermittently felt at 40 mph and on right turns
replaced both front springs with v6 model part number per TAC officer request

(dealer called and said they forgot to do an ?engine/transmission alignment which will be noted later at a follow up visit to the dealer)

12,556 miles July 31st 2012

black cowling under the windshield wiper arm is warped
verified concern replaced cowling

11.293 miles June 13th 2012

Transmission fill cap was left off (from previous addressed vibration concern and repair, I noticed after 5,000+miles of driving)
Performed transmission flush per workshop manual (no charge)

*Customer complaint vibration in front end at 40 mph and on right turns could not be duplicated

8686 miles April 19th 2012

*Howling noise - vibration in the front end worse when accelerating
Cause: Verified concern. Initial instruction in bulletin PI0702 did not fix issue. Installed version 2 drive axles per workshop manual. all ok.

7362 miles April 2nd 2012 (big one)

*Howling noise -vibration in the front - worse when accelerating
Cause: Performed Bulletin PI10702 Document ID 2790512. Centered Engine mount bolts per bulletin instructions

(?Don’t know what this is) LOC7574 0.7HR C7574 panel, folding second seat cushion - dual seat - right - R&R or replace
91011 WG

Drivers headlamp fills up with condensation verified concern headlamp fills with water replaced headlamp

Squeak under the vehicle over bumpy roads on warm days or after long drives (found to be the seat and this is still not solved) Verified concern. loosened and repositioned rear tracks on drivers front seat torqued fasteners to 33lbs squeak gone (it was gone for about a week)

Temperature gae fluctuates up and down erratically at times Performed gauge sweep gauge working as designed at this time not duplicated

Outside temperature will not change all day at times could not duplicate concern Ambient air temperature within 2 degrees of shop air temp. (still not accurate, some days it will stick at 50 degrees when it is 70 outside. I can take the kids to school in the morning and it’s “50” at lunch it’s “50” when it is 70 outside and then home from work it is “50” of course this is intermittent and works great at the dealer)

5106 miles March 16th 2012

*Rumble noise in the front end 20-30 mph slight wheel vibration while turning (not what I told them as it is not in the steering wheel) also around 20-30 mph when in second gear.
Test drove vehicle can hear a low howling noise that is covered up by road noise at highway speeds. connected chassis ears and moved sensor. Found RH Axle drive shaft intermediate shaft carrier bearing is noisy. Ran drivetrain on lift. Listening with a stethoscope intermediate shaft carrier bearing is noticeably louder...Replaced RH Drive Axle intermediate shaft noise no longer present.

Engine miss transmission jumping every once in a while in second gear. test drove and unable to verify concern (of course that is how this car works)

Clicking noise (more of a clunk but they put clicking) under the vehicle when going over bumps and also when exiting the vehicle unable to verify (i brought it back off the record and we were able to verify it but this became overshadowed by all the other junk this car has put us through)

842 miles December 11th 2011 (the beginning of our journey together)

drivers tail lamp does not sit flush against the decklid
Cause: checked tail lamp alignment tabs. they are aligned as tight as possible (because this is glued they didn’t want to break the lens, not a huge deal but because it was new I wanted it to be right and it is still not but I can live with it)

Rattle in the left rear at low speeds 15 mph or below
Cause: Test drive, verify faint click-clunk in RH Rear of vehicle, over bumps. Follow #PIC5578, Document ID 2738639, Replace Drivers side rear suspension trailing arm. (this was resolved and the only thing other than the headlamp that was resolved, oh and the door handle)

So that is the Malibu and I’s journey together, I want to break up but GM says that they are “trying” to work it out. I have the lemon law paperwork printed out and sitting here on my desk from the Iowa Attorney General’s office. Do I move forward and send this certified letter? I would be basing this on the Wobble/vibration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.