Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sputtering and Misfire issues in Drive and Reverse

8K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Smokin3161 
#1 ·
Hi, I recently did a tune up on my 98 Malibu LS... For the first few days it was fine and ran amazing. Recently when I'm idling at a light or in reverse under 10mph it sputters or maybe misfires.

I have checked to make sure everything is seated fine, tight and in correct order. Its very annoying and never did this before. I'm used to driving foreign cars and new to American cars IE my first Chevy. Can someone please shed some light?

Also I put my hand over the tail pipe and noticed the exhaust wasn't flowing freely, but like I said this didn't happen until I did the Tune up.

#3 ·
Check all vacuum hoses. I've had to replace a few on my 2000.

Especially the one from the PCV valve, under the throttle cable bracket (where it connects to the upper intake) and back to the EGR valve.

RwP

#5 ·
Time to drag out the timing light and verify engine timing - you may have a jumped timing chain (not likely!)

Also, triple check ALL wiring. One suggesting is to take a dark night, start the car, and fog the plug wiring with a mist of water.

In my personal experience, #1 and #3 spark plug wires are right royal pains in that it's easy to feel like they're on, but they'll jump right off. I had #4 cylinder give me fits my first tune up until I finally got it seated properly.

Also, there's a chance a coil pack has failed or is failing. This would tell you (the misting with water) due to the corona and sparking you'd see.

It's also time to check the fuel line pressure with a fuel line pressure gauge (they're cheap at Harbor Freight, albeit not very accurate.)

RwP

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.