Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

oil change malibu 2005 2.2 engine

52K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ford 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I own a 2005 Malibu with a 2.2 engine. I do the oil change myself but have noticed that using 5 quarts the dipstick only reach the lower mark. I have to put an extra quart, I mean 6 quarts to get the top mark in the dipstick.

I don't know why this happens or what is wrong ?? The dipstick is the original.

Do someone else who own a 2.2 engine experience it ??
Thanks.

#3 ·
I have a 2006 with a 2.2. I bought it used in January. When I drained the oil, about 5.7 quarts came out. I added 5 quarts and it was not full, added another .3 quarts to get it to the full mark. This is a little more than the book says the engine is supposed to take. I don't think I'd run with 6 quarts and I would just consider the middle of the stick the full mark. I wonder if any one else has this problem?

#4 ·
The dipsticks aren't always right on either. Maybe 10 years ago, give or take a couple, Corvette capacity was 6.5 quarts and even with 7 quarts in them, the level wasn't at the top of the range. GM actually issued a bulletin stating the capacity was 6.5 quarts and as long as you were withing the crosshatched area to not add more as to do so may induce oil consumption due to an overfilled crankcase. The level at 6.5 quarts was to be considered the full mark. Think that wasn't fun to explain to a 'vette customer? Had to print that one out for quite a few customers to get them to believe us.

#5 ·
I have read through this thread and I find the information very interesting; especially when the owner's manual reads different.

You guys and gals know that I am not a technician and I don't pretend to be, but on page 5-93, it reads that the 2.2 liter, L4 engine take 4.0 quarts of oil or 3.8 liters of engine oil.

You have my curiosity up as to why there is such a huge difference in information. I guess I am going to have to do some research on this one.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

#7 ·
This is going to be a problem for me. If I put only 5 quarts, the dipstick only reach the low mark, so I don't know if the engine is low in oil. I don't know if the real indicator is the dipstick or it is enough knowing I put 5 quarts.

I think Chevrolet has some problem with it.
Thanks.

#9 ·
This thread got me thinking so I checked the oil today when my wife got home with the Malibu. I haven't checked it since I changed the oil in late January and I was surprised to find it was slightly over filled. Two other things might be notable.

When I filled the engine with oil, it was difficult to pour the oil into the engine quickly as a baffle or some other item seems to partially block the entrance of oil. Perhaps the oil is slow to find it's way to the crankcase and this makes it difficult to accurately measure the oil level while performing an oil change. Secondly, the oil dipstick is not made of a long flat stamped steel ribbon like other vehicles I have owned, instead, it appears to be made of a relatively stiff cable. The "dipstick" tube also enters the engine at a shallow angle. Perhaps this type of "dipstick" is simply inherently inaccurate.

This is page 5-107 of my Canadian Malibu owners manual. Page 5-93 does not contain any oil related information. Note the quantities listed.

#10 ·
Are you checking the oil when the car is hot or cold? If I check mine on level ground cold it will read at the bottom mark or just a little above. Then, if I check it hot on level ground after it sits for about 15 minutes, it is at the full mark with 5 quarts. I have encountered on some cars where the dipstick reads two different levels on either side. Personally I would stick with what level it calls for, but that is just me.

#11 ·
In my case, I think it just took a while for the oil to reach the bottom of the engine while performing the oil change. I put in a little more oil than the manual calls for and it reads a little high with then engine sitting for 30 minutes after a good run. Still, this is a little confusing and I will keep a close watch on it for a while.

#13 ·
hi guy just to give you a little advice when you do the oïl change just start the engine for about 20 second before checking the dipstick that way you the oïl drop faster in the oïl pan that way you will have a good reading on the stick otherwise there is a part of the new oïl that is still in the head that why you think you need more oïl when you dont

Luc Ford Canada technician

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.