Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting LTZ Exhaust this weekend on my LT I4 :-)

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
So, I like the look of the dual outlets on the LTZ and so this coming week (probably monday or tuesday), I will be putting my car in the shop to have the LTZ Exhaust system with dual outlets put on my car!

I'll post pictures and such when it gets on :)

So, I made this post just because I'm at work and bored, so I figured I'd get a head start on it since I would be making it anyways.

#4 ·
My '09 2LT came with dual exhausts because it has the V6, not because it's an LTZ since it's not.

To swap yours to dual outlets you'll need the valance piece from a dual-outlet car (on any3.6 it is standard, available as option on 2LT and LTZ models) and a way to get twin outlets. I already had dual exhaust so had my boat anchor (factory muffler) removed and put twin resonators on a Y-pipe. Sounds better (not a fart can) and flows better, too! You could do the same. It wouldn't be stock, but neither is dual exhaust on a 4-cylinder.

If you take a look at the factory muffler for the 3.6 you'll see that it sits across the back of the car and takes up a LOT of room. It's heavy, too. You'll also see that they didn't bring the exhaust from the front into one of the ends where it's strongest, but welded an outlet on the freakin' SIDE of it! As soon as it enters the muffler it runs into a dished deflector that forces it to become a stream of gases now going in two directions. When it finally exits the muffler at the ends it has to turn 90 degrees again. Count 'em from the outside. Enter & turn 90, exit and turn 90. Add at least one more 180 for it to turn inside when it hits the end plates. Now compare that to what I replaced mine with. A Y-pipe that splits it with a 45 bend, goes straight through a resonator and into a 45 to the tip. Gentler bends and no real restrictions. From the back it looks like the stock dual tips ('cuz they are) but underneath I now have enough room to put a dead body! (I could work for the Mafia, eh?)

Just my input on choices you have before you dive in.

#5 ·
Yea, I know I could do that. There's a number of things I could do, but I'm looking at the LTZ Exhaust (I just call it that, I know it's the V6s) because it was made by GM, so I'm getting a warranty and such with it.

Thanks for the write though! I usually do that stuff on either my '95 Mustang or my '85 Firebird or my '00 Corvette (although the latter I don't toy around with as much)

#6 ·
Cool! You've been around the block, too, I see. I chose to do mine after I interrupted a service in the dealership. When I walked up to my car I was standing next to it with the door open before I realized the engine was even running! So I opted to modify the exhaust and I'm glad I did. Whatever you end up with, dual exhausts will look much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.