Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Question about changing brake pads

11K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  onecrazyfoo4u 
#1 ·
I heard somewhere that on ABS systems you can't just push the brake caliper piston back in. In the past, I would just use a c-clamp to push the caliper piston back in, then put the new pads in and bolt it back up, done.

I heard that you have to pinch off the brake fluid line, unscrew the bleed screw, and then push the piston back in (while pushing out some brake fluid, resulting in a little brake fluid loss). Do you have to do it this way? Or can I just push it back in without doing anything else? Thanks.

#2 ·
Pinching the brake line on these cars could cause some damage to the inside of the line, and I would not recommend doing that. Plus, that is a good way to get air trapped in the system. Just compress the caliper piston as normal without opening the bleeder or pinching lines. I have done a lot of malibu's and GM cars this way, including mine, with no problems.

#5 ·
One last question, I put new Wagner Thermoquiets on the fronts tonight. They didn't come with new backing shims, so I reused the ones off of the old pads (and the worthless little clip). Is that okay to do, or should I not have done that? I drove it to bed them in, and they worked great...were mighty stinky though.

Those stupid squeeky oem pads had over half left on them!

#7 ·
You should be fine reusing the shims as long as they hold tight. If they come loose they will make noise, generally rattling. It is weird that they didn't come with new hardware. I have never used anti-squeak on anything for the simple fact that if it is done right the first time there shouldn't be any noise, but that is just me.

My OEM front pads made it to 60K with no squeaks, but they were almost gone. I am still on the factory rear pads at half left. I am happy with my ceramic pads, no noise or dust, and they stop great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.