Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blower Motor Resistor

10K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  BMONEY 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 chevy malibu with automatic climate control if I'm replacing the blower motor resistor can I buy one without the automatic climate control?

#2 ·
Sure. But why would you buy one that won't fit or plug in? :eek:

The two parts are not interchangable, if that's what you're actually asking.

RwP

#3 ·
I was online looking for a replacement part to order I saw an ac delco part for a little over $30.00 dollars I went to autozone online and they had 2 parts I listed below. I have a 2005 LS and on the fan control you can turn it far left for the auto option which I never use. There is quite a difference in price so I wanted to know if it mattered if I used one without auto climate control

$42.00
Part Number: JA1572
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Application: Manual A/C
Base, LS or LT model

$170.00
Part Number: JA1571
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Application: Automatic A/C
Base, LS or LT model

#4 ·
They don't interchange, if that's what you're asking.

The connector is different, and the internal wiring is different.

RwP

#5 ·
thanks I appreciate it, I have a question what tools are needed to remove the blower motor, I want to test it, I was able to remove the resistor but I don't now what bolts to remove for the motor, I've seen a couple of videos but none listed for a 2005 chevy malibu LT v6, my compartment looks different from the earlier models ones...I saw some grooves and wondered if I needed some sort of hex screwdriver.

#6 ·
8 mm hex IIRC. If not, it's about that size.

Yes, you'll need a hex driver.

RwP

#7 ·
I have another question where is the blower motor relay located?... does the one that works for the blower motor come labled? I'm not sure but I believe I have to cut the plastic points around around the blower motor to remove it. I finally have the funds to buy the part.

#8 ·
I didn't cut anything on my 2000, but the 2005 may be different.

The relay on my 2000 is under the passenger side dash cover, IIRC. I can check later (I'm in for the night now!)

RwP

#10 ·
Check ALL the fuse blocks.

The 2005 is wired differently than my 2000, I'd wager - unless it's a Classic.

RwP

#11 ·
mission accomplished I ordered the resistor from amazon for half the price the auto parts stores wanted...the motor was good so I returned it....job finished took me about 40 minutes total and it's blowing cold ac again...

it's interesting that the blower motor resistor fixed the problem of intermittent speeds and then a total collapse, the ac was also not shutting off and running after you cut off the ignition.

I noticed when I was standing still in traffic my temperature guage would rise not all the way to hot but slightly in between the normal and the hot temperature it would be alright while I was driving. I originally thought I had a problem with a fan not coming on....

problem is now resolved while standing still in traffic temperature is maintained I really don't understand how the blower motor resistor fixed all those problems...I thought one of the fans may have had a bad relay and was going to start to "attempt" to trouble shoot that issue...Knock on wood things have been great the past 2 days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.