Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

new here need some advice

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  dakota1820 
#1 ·
i am looking to buy a malibu and have some questions. first why should i get a malibu over the competitions cars? what are some common issues? and how are they to work on? i am a young married man with my second kid on the way and am looking to spend about 3500 bucks. all help is appreciated. thanks guys. glad to be here.

#2 ·
Common issues:
> heater control module tends to stop working
> ignition lock AND electrical switch (2 separate items to do 1 function) wear out and it is a lot of labor savings to R&R them at the same time

Other members will have some other input for you, but overall it isn't all that bad of a car. Don't pay more than KBB for it - less if you can.

#3 ·
Also the electrical power steering in 05 and 06 (maybe 07, I am not sure) models had problems. We had an 06 though and didn't have any problems although my step daughter's 05, that she used to have, from time to time would have problems with it.

#5 ·
Heads and intakes? Not really.

Head gaskets and intake gaskets? ButOfCourse, it's Goverment Motors!! *grins*

If you're looking for a car like a Malibu, don't forget the Cutlass (same car, different trim and dash), Alero, or Grand Am of the same vintage (around 2000) (Alero/Grand Am are same platform, and share major mechanicals with the Malibu and Cutlass.)

RwP

#7 ·
it would actually be a 3.1 or 3.5, i have had mine for only a year but i have only had one issue with the radiator but it was from where the previous owner had gotten into an accident and caused it to leak but other than that i have had no problems with it at all and it has been a perfect car. It is a pretty great ride for the price range, it will have electric power steering if it is a 2005-2007 but i have had no problems with mine (other than it can feel a little sloppy when you start driving it a bit rough like i tend to lol). But other than that the ride is good the gas mileage is good even with the 3.5 and all around it's a great car for the price

#10 ·
1999-2002 would be a 3.1 in the 'Bu, a 3.4 in the Alero and Grand Am.

The 3.4 is a bored and/or stroked 3.1, or the 3.1 is de-whichever (I don't remember which one changed, but one did between them).

They can and quite often do (aftermarket!) use the same gaskets.

Both have the same generic problems with lower intake manifold gaskets.

This is NOT a 100% faillure item, now! Don't misunderstand me! It's just that these are more prone to wearing out than I personally think they should have been.

The 'Bu and Cutlass are also prone to the A/C control head failing - there's links here on how to repair the head, so that's not a major problem.

They're all prone to the ignition switch itself failing, and due to how they're located, it's usually more labor effective to swap both the switch and the lock cylinder at the same time.

Overall, they're nice cars - build quality is better than a lot of the older GMs had, but not as good as we may have come to expect from new cars.

RwP

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.