Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serious Steering Problem

145K views 391 replies 69 participants last post by  NYMalOwner 
#1 ·
I have owned this new 2013 Chevy Malibu LT since April. Before I bring it back to the dealer, I thought I would check with some of the other owners here to see if any of you are experiencing the same issue.

Something is seriously wrong with the steering on this car. It is hard to describe, but I'll try: The car's steering doesn't have any true center. This means basically, when you're on a straight, flat highway, and let go of the wheel, the car wants to track either left or right - but never dead center. The driver's reaction to this is to correct the course the car is going in by nudging the wheel in the opposite direction. When doing this, I can feel the power steering "skip" past center, in favor of gently tracking in the opposite direction.

The skipping effect is best described as a "void," a place in the steering where the resistance in the power steering diminishes. Once this resistance returns and the driver completes correcting the course in this manner, the car starts to subtly pull in the opposite direction. It's impossible to center it. What should be a pleasant cruise down the highway turns into an infuriating tug of war between the car which wants to go one way versus the driver's corrective efforts, which leads the car to track the other way.

This problem is obvious only when driving on a straightaway on a flat surface at highway speeds. But, the fact that it can be noticed under these conditions only tells you that it's a problem that is always present, and is compromising the drivers' ability to control the car under ALL conditions, even if not particularly noticeable.

Are there any recalls that deal with this? Are there any other drivers here who have experienced this problem? I would like to hear some feedback so that I can better describe this problem to the dealer when I take it back.

Thanks!

Rob

See less See more
#2 ·
Was any front end work done to the car just prior to this happening? Sounds like the PSCM (Power Steering Control Module) needs to have the steering angle sensor centering and software endstop learns redone. The steering angle sensor centering procedure is done first, followed by the software endstop reset procedure, then the software endstop learn is done. If any steering linkage work is done, a column replaced, the steering rack or assist motor replaced, these procedures must be done or a condition like you describe will result. Been there, done that.

One of our newer guys put a column in a '05 Malibu, he didn't do the learn procedures, there were three separate procedures back then. He took it on a road test and came back and just by luck I overheard him say he had a bad new column. I talked to him, found out what he did and did the three learns and he drove it again and it was fine.

When you take it to the dealer, make sure you show them what you're after, take the shop foreman or service manager out and have them drive it so they know what you're concerned about. There may be a software update for the PSCM as well, I'm not sure though. I would start with the relearns first though, that will most likely fix it.

#3 ·
Wow, sounds like you hit the nail on the head! As far as I know, there was no front end work performed and the car was bought brand new with 0 miles on the odometer.

Have you ever heard of this problem in a new vehicle? Thank you so much for this information, I am going to print it out and keep it handy when I go back to the dealer. The "power steering angle sensor centering and software endstop learns redone," is a bit of a mouthful!

Thanks again!

Rob

#4 ·
One last question: Is there ever a circumstance where this inability to get the car centered is considered "normal" by the dealer? I don't want to end up with the dealer just telling me that this is the way the car is supposed to drive.

And again, if the car is brand new, is this a problem to be expected?

Thanks again buddy!

Rob

#5 ·
I can't recall ever seeing it on a new car, doesn't mean it can't happen though. So you're saying this has been like this since new? You just lived with it? Mighty tolerant person if that's the case.

I assume you understand road crown and that it is not your issue in your opinion. Letting go of the wheel and having it move one way or the other is normal due to road crown but it would be something you could duplicate on another similar vehicle too. If you take another '13 Malibu down the same road, does it do the same thing? I doubt you will find this to be the case here, I think you have an issue.

In the old days, if you did the over center adjustment too tight on a steering box, you lost the center of the steering box. The wheel would be right or left of center but there was no center. These late model electric racks are pretty good, or at least I haven't seen one bad yet in this respect, let's just say that.

You may very well have the dealer say this is normal. I haven't driven the car, I'm just going by your description, going by that I think there is an issue. If the shop foreman or service manager drives it and says it's normal, have them get another '13 Malibu off the lot and you drive it and see if it does the same thing as yours.

I think, going by your description, you have a calibration issue with the steering angle sensor for some reason. Hopefully the dealer scans the whole car for codes, even though there are no warning lights on by your description, it only takes a couple minutes to check. My next step would be to check for PSCM calibration updates, not all updates have bulletins to alert us as techs to the updates existence. The latest calibrations are an absolute must anymore when problems arise. We fix quite a bit with calibration updates alone sometimes. After checking/updating the PSCM calibrations as required, I'd do the relearns I spoke of in my first post, then retest the car. If the problem still persists after that, I guess I'd do a quick alignment check and then maybe a call to Technical Assistance from there to see if there are any other cases of this type of thing.

It is absolutely not normal from what you describe, nor should it be expected. Still, not everything is always perfect right off the assembly line either. One way or the other you need to address this though. Good luck.

#6 ·
Rodents,

I work from home, and this car is driven little. Since April, I have put a fewer than 4,000 miles on the car. So, this car has never really been thoroughly tested. I did notice this problem last week when driving on a newly paved I-495 here in Massachusetts. This problem is really only noticeable on an almost perfectly flat road with little or no crown or curves. Otherwise it drives fair to poor. This is because on road surfaces that are other than perfect, you detect that SOMETHING is wrong - but it is not obvious what. The car won't center, but the driver assumes it is due to road imperfections.

I should also point out that the steering on this car is exceptionally light and sensitive and will exaggerate any defects on the roadway. In my opinion, I would not be able to use this car as a daily commuter driver. The steering is just too sensitive and if the driver takes his eye off of the road even for a second or two - to perhaps adjust the MyLink system, which requires more than a glimpse to get something done - the car will wander out from under you and require a correction. Possibly this is related to the problem I have been speaking with you about, but the steering is definitely not tuned right for this car.

But I will say this: This steering problem is one of those subtle defects that - when it made its debut - really pissed me off. It would seem that a car with a $26K sticker price would not have a problem like this.

Maybe it's just me, but if this was a broken power window motor or something similar, I would have been much more sympathetic. But this is a fundamental issue impacting its handling capabilities. It just speaks to slipshod engineering and/or quality control practices that should not be present, in my opinion anyway. When I bought the car it had 0 miles on the odometer and the protective plastic sheeting was still on the seats. It should be perfect and if not perfect, it should be close to that. Little things are understandable, but the steering being screwed up? I don't think so. It's a fundamental problem.

Anyway, thanks again, you gave me a starting point with regards to the dealer that I can use to approach the issue from.

Best,

Rob

#388 ·
I have a 2015 Chevy Malibu I purchased in October of 2015. It has 55,000 miles now. (Purchased it new but I have a 160 mile round trip commute to work each week). I just noticed this EXACT steering problem This week. Your description is impeccable. The problem is very frustrating to say the least

#10 · (Edited)
I've noticed the same thing on my car. Sometimes when I'm driving straight and make a very slight movement of the steering wheel to the right, I can feel a slight bump that requires some slight additional force to get past. I don't feel it when doing the same thing to the left, and it's not present all the time. It's a lot more noticeable when I'm gripping the wheel very lightly, usually with just a few fingers.

#359 ·
Just got mine back from the dealer. I have enclosed the invoice. They did something. We will see if it does in deed fix the issue. Once the temp goes below 40 or so and I will be able to test it out.

I also had an issue with the chrome trim from the right rear door coming off. They tightened down the other three doors, but due to me being 176 miles over the 36000 mile mark, they are unable to fix the right rear one without a $100.00 deductible. The service writer went to GM with this and GM would not budge. So I told them to not fix it.
I have the same issue with my steering have appointment Tuesday 12/16 I'm not in the mood the deal with a dealership the gives me the runaround telling me there is nothing they can do. I just hit 32,000 on my 2013 have to get all the bugs worked out before my bumper to bumper runs out. My be Erica Tiffany can reach out to my dealership before Tuesday to lead them how to fix my issue before I blow up on them. Thanks Mark Z

#9 ·
I've been working on some '14 Malibu's for a recall for the HVAC system and for the heck of it I checked to see if there were PSCM updates and there are, but there is no explanation of what, if anything is addressed. I haven't driven one for this kind of concern, and I haven't had any real behind the wheel time with one so I have to assume your description is accurate and that it would not be present on a similarly equipped car. That said, it can't hurt to update the PSCM calibrations and perform the calibration procedures to see if that fixes the issue. I haven't had a '13 in my bay to see if the PSCM calibrations are the same as for '14 and have been updated. It may be hard to convince some dealers to program the PSCM unless you get the car to a tech that has the same thought process I do.

#11 ·
I have felt that little bump or notch in the steering as well. Only happened one time during an over 100 mile highway drive.
It felt like if I tried to slightly turn the wheel to correct then I would hit a small little notch or something. Kind of annoying but then on the way home driving 100 miles again I didn't feel it and I haven't ever again, although the wife mainly drives the car.

#13 ·
I'd like to get mine looked at, but I'm almost certain that it would be one of those "could not duplicate" issues. I'm hoping it's something that will result in a bulletin or recall in the coming months so I don't have to deal with the dealership claiming that nothing's wrong.

Considering there are multiple people reporting similar problems, this would be a good one for our friendly Chevy reps to run up the chain.

#14 ·
I had the same issue with mine too. I just got it fixed today as a matter of fact. I brought it to my dealer and was prepared to argue a bit if needed as it doesn't do it all the time and the feeling can be vague sometimes.. And quite scary at others..

My dealer said this was the 2nd Malibu that week with the issue. They didn't even bother to test drive it. They just ordered the parts and scheduled me in.

The dealer went so far as to say; looks like Chevy has a problem here with these Malibu's.

I'm fully expecting a recall to come out shortly as this is nothing to mess around with it. I'm assuming the delay is caused by the expense of fixing as I don't think it's cheap..

#18 ·
The thing that struck me odd when I took it in at 12k for the steering issue. The dealer drove my car & came back out to me about 20-30 minutes later saying that I needed a new steering rack & they had the parts on order.

I was basically expecting a series of visits & them trying different parts to get it fixed. I wasn't really expecting them to say I needed a rack right out of the gate since it was a $1500 part.

I was happy at first that they were so quick to fix the issue, but now it seems as if they really already knew what my problem was & replaced the defective part with the identical defective part.

#20 ·
I spent the weekend trying to duplicate the issue and wasn't able to do so. I tried at high and low speeds and even while sitting still. I really hope Chevy acknowledges this as an issue and releases a recall or at least a TSB so I don't have to do the usual back and forth with the dealer claiming "could not duplicate".

#57 ·
I am having the same problem with my '13 LTZ. It's been with me since
about 7k miles and I'm now at 10k. It only appears on long straight
stretches and usually above 60 mph. I actually work for the dealership
driving dealer trades, and I've asked the service advisor to look through
the bulletins and see if he can find anything relating to the problem before
I go through the "can't duplicate" routine. I'm hoping it will be a simple
pscm update, but my luck usually doesn't run that good. In my position I
get to drive virtually everything Chevrolet makes, many times on 200 or
300 mile trips, and I've never run across this on another vehicle. If the guys are able to come up with anything useful I will be sure to report
back.

#21 ·
So I have a 2SA bought in late February and just now clicking 8k miles have I started this.

It is most pronounced at highway speeds and my biggest fear is that only drivers who are extra sensitive may notice this issue. My 2nd biggest fear is that on a longer than average straight I could envision this behavior being mistaken externally for drunk driving, as even knowing the problem, a driver cannot make the car drive straighter. In other words this issue is insurmountable.

This is my second GM car with magnetic steering, the previous being a 2008 Chevy HHR that I put ~40,000 miles on. That car had flawless, razor sharp steering. Of course it had 50 series rubber which my more grown up, smooth, better riding Malibu.

#22 ·
I think I've finally figured out how to duplicate the issue. It only seems to pop up when I'm driving on long stretches of straight road. It's like the wheel gets sort of locked into that position and then when you make a slight correction, you can feel the resistance. Once I get past the bump, it's fine until I go a certain distance in a straight line again.

I'm one of those people that drives with only a finger or two on the wheel when cruising down long stretches of straight road, so it's very easy for me to feel the resistance when I attempt a minor steering correction.

#23 ·
Yes, it's really only obvious when you're on a long stretch of straight, smooth pavement. That's the problem I was having with my Malibu. I took it back to the dealer, who sent a technician to come out and test drive it with me, and of course the problem did not occur. After the drive, he brought it into a service bay and I waited about an hour to have him tell me he could find nothing wrong. There were also no software updates.

I agree with chevyorange regarding the steering making it appear as if you're driving erratically, which could lead to problems with the police. The fact that this is just something that I more or less had to deal with was unacceptable. Other issues with the car including a so-so ride, a somewhat cramped interior which is rather deceptively designed to seem larger than it actually is, XM radio that would frequently cut out, and some external styling features (those tailights!) that I really had to learn to like all contributed to the decision to trade the car in after just six months.

So last weekend I visited a different dealer and bought a '14 Impala LT. Beautiful car, couldn't be more happy with it. The gas mileage with the 6 cylinder engine is not nearly as good as the Malibu, but there is no other problems. The deal I got was fair, but it will cost you to do a trade in so soon. I really didn't have a choice. The Malibu was just not the right car for me. It wasn't the worst car I have ever owned, but it wasn't far from that either. The steering problem was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

I would suggest to anyone having this problem to bring a tech to the exact stretch of pavement where you experienced the problem. Best of luck to you!

Rob

#25 ·
Hello all,

I've bought my Malibu last year (08/2012) and since that feels like my car has same problem as above written from time to time.

Unfortunately I am from Czech Republic and my Malibu is originally from South Korea (Chevrolet "global" politics) :)

My car dealer told me the same thing - did not found anything wrong but i know that problem exist in the same situations (long straight road)

I have another one issue: Steering problem appears to me (fortunately) only in a bit cold weather conditions as they are just now => I mean about 37 to 46°F (3 to 8 °C). No problem in winter (with temperatures below freezing-point) nor in summer (46°F up).

Does anyone has a same opinion/problem?

PS: please excuse my english - I am not an american guy :D

#26 ·
My brother drove my car for a few hours, He use to work for a tire shop here in Atlanta. He said it felt like my alignment was off. So I took it to my local tire shop and got an alignment. The back left tire was off quite a bit. So far after 10 miles I haven't felt it at all. I will be taking a 5 hr trip tomorrow so will report back after. Thanks

#28 · (Edited)
Ok, so, I got my 2SA back and even though they could not duplicate after 20 miles of driving they "reset the soft spots" in the steering software if that sounds right.

1. If I got it from memory wrong, I'll look it up proper on the paperwork.

2. I can't imagine in any world where they couldn't have felt it! I'd expect a tech and a service advisor would have a feel for these things. Three people drove and and all said they couldn't feel it.

3 people! It wasn't intermittent either, I drove 400 miles the weekend before and was afraid I was going to get pulled over for drink driving the way I had to push though that dead spot.

First, one needs to correct from straight to just make a minor correction to the right on the freeway. VERY minor! So, as we are all excellent drivers here one puts a slight deft touch on the wheel and nobody in the car even knows you took corrective measures.

Except in my case that deft touch to the right was if there was a bump to roll over in the gear and that whole bump was also a dead spot. So, when pushing through it instead of a deft touch, the car would jerk noticeably to the right, of course.

I'm glad they reset the steering and it appears to have fixed the problem. I'm ultra disappointed that it was bucked by a tech and test drivers. Just say yeah we felt it and this is what we did to fix it.

Now, for the first time ever at my dealership, I have a shadow of a doubt as to their motives. Does admitting one felt an actual problem hurt GM? I have no insiders so I don't have the answer to that. But if the "not feeling it but knowing a silver bullet for fixing it" is a deliberate move to try to make it look like the driver is paranoid and "we just took the liberty of resetting it anyway even though we saw and felt no need to," makes me wonder. If only they'd treat my MyLink headaches with such decisive action!

Either that or I should've been a surgeon as I have delicate feeling in my hands.... The only problem there is my mother was with me in the car and she's not a back seat driver and noticed it in the seat of her pants. That's bad.

#29 ·
I thought I was crazy the first time I felt this happen on my 2013 LS but it seems to happen periodically out of the blue. I was going to ask that it be checked out at my next service but now that I see others experiencing the same issue it will definitely be on the list to be fixed. I would describe it as a stiff spot that you have to tug the steering wheel out of. It only happens occasionally so it will be hard to duplicate at a service appt.

#31 ·
Don'tcha just love new technology that doesn't work like it should?

It would seem to me that things as critically important as steering and brakes should be tested to exhaustion before they can be installed on any vehicle. Sure, that'd raise the price but don't we already pay for crash testing to ensure they're safe during impacts and rollovers?

#32 ·
Maybe it's just coincidence, but I haven't had any problems with mine since the temperatures have dropped. It's been below 30 degrees around here for the past week or so and I've not been able to duplicate the issue. I wonder if this could be caused by expansion and contraction of metal components as the temperature changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.