Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ECOTEC 2.4L Oil Filter-Canister Replacement Procedure:

37K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  john1050 
#1 ·
Does anyone have the service manual procedure-instructions for replacing the drop-in oil filter-canister on the 2.4L ECOTEC motor? Is the filter-canister and threaded plastic cover installed as a unit, or does one simply drop the canister-filter into the housing and then install the threaded cover?

Does the plastic cover require replacement with each filter change? In addition, are there any other requirements associated with replacement of the oil filter-canister, i.e. replacement of o-rings? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I replace the O-ring at every oil change, and as for the new filter it just snaps on to the lid/cover which is threaded by the way. For easy removal of the cover you use a Lisle 14700 Oil Filter Socket (costs anywhere from $9-$14 depending where you get it). Thats it, pretty simple.

#3 ·
No need to replace the o-ring unless its damaged. There is no literature that says to do so.

Also, while the oil drain plug is out of the pan remove the oil filter cap. By doing so itll allow for the oil to drain out better.

#5 ·
I'm curious about pre-soaking the filter. I always pre-filled my previous oil filters so they were primed and wouldn't starve the engine for oil on the first startup.

How are people doing this now with the drop-ins? Insert the filter and then pour ~1/4ish quart in to allow it to soak?

#6 ·
After dropping in the filter I just filled the engine with all the oil. I don't see why you can't fill the void where the filter is dropped in with some oil prior to inserting the filter.

#7 ·
-------------------

Not from the GM service manual, but from changing oil myself a number of
times with this model Chevrolet:

The threaded plastic cover is re-used, permanent.

The filter-canister and threaded plastic cover is installed as a unit. Take the new filter in one hand, the cover in the other. Twist a little and the new filter snaps firmly or locks into the cover/cap. They will then be mated together snugly with no wobble.

Now, drop the new filter and cover together into the housing so that the
pointy filter end with the small O-ring points down and seats into the center point at the bottom of the housing.

Then, turn the cover clock-wise and tighten to about 25NM as I believe is printed on the cap, around the 32MM hex.

If you first drop just the filter into the housing and then apply the cover, the
proper filter-top-to-cover seating may not occur and you will bind down on and distort or compress slightly the filter element, thus reducing its effectiveness. You will not know this happened until you remove the filter at the next oil change. Crunched cartridge!

jaa.

#11 ·
2010 Malibu 2.4 EcoTech oil and filter change,

The Lisle #14700 tool:

Like I say, it's a 32mm hex socket, black & heavy but NOT
for impact use. 3/8" inch drive and only 1" (25.4cm) high.

Most sockets with 3/8" and 1/2" drive to fit a 32mm hex nut
are at least double that height or more.

Any taller than 1" socket may fit, but when you loosen the filter cover,
it will quickly bind on the engine block overhang, just above one side
of the oil filter housing. Even with the 1" socket, you still need a 3/8"
drive extender...at least 6" long.

Or a very short handle 32mm spanner wrench might work, but space
is tight for large hands and allows you maybe 1/3 of a turn, max.

jaa

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.