Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Driver's power window doesn't work when it's hot

14K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  michaelnadel 
#1 ·
Does anyone know why the driver's side power window wouldn't work when it's hot outside or if the car has been sitting in the sun? It works fine in the evening and in the winter. 2000 Malibu LS

#2 · (Edited)
There could be several issues. The first that comes to mind is the thermal cut-out. Another is the heat can be causing something to shift alignment causing it to bind, but that's not too likely.

Does the motor even try to run or is it dead silence? If it's completely quiet I'd wager it's a thermal limiter issue, if the moter even has one, but it's still a guess.

Do you have a can of air for cleaning your keyboard, etc? Try using it when this happens and direct the nozzle right at the motor to cool it down. If that does the trick then it's a thermal limiter (or cut-out) that may be feeling its oats and reacting to the heat more than it should. Get another motor from the junk yard or order one new and replace it.

If the thermal limiter exists but isn't on the motor (again, I don't know if it even has one) then find it and cool it down and see if it runs. Don't replace it with a piece of foil; instead replace it with a new one.

There may be yet other issues. If you can get it to do it under controlled circumstances, pop the door panel and park it in the sun and then try running the window. Use your ears to help find any issues. Also use your nose; if it's burned up or used up your nose can help detect that.

#3 ·
Could be that in the heat the window seal is holding the window closed. If there is too much pressure built up the motor will not work. Had this problem on my "C". Try spraying the rubber window seals with silicone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.