Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

98 Bu Difficult Starting Issue

4K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  ejskpt 
#1 ·
Hey,im a new member on the forum, used it for a year tho, to start off there's some smart and talented members.
THE ISSUE:
I have a 98(210k) Bu i think a base model has 3.1 v6. I drove it to work this morning everything seemed ok as normal. Im a delivery driver so after an hour I went to start it but it will not start at all.

Replaced Alternator,Battery 18 mo. ago,Replaced starter few weeks ago(USED).
Replaced intake manifold kit,thermstat,spark plugs,basic self tune up/oil chng.

My car will crank and its not the theft issue and i can smell fuel as well. It gets as close as possible without starting, if i try to turn the key for too long it will make a large zzzing sound (sounds like a starter messing up but 10x louder) and idk where sound is coming from.

Tried to start a hour later starts and ran maybe 1/4 second then backfired and died? :mad: After work tried jumping off still extremely close to starting, but nada.

Trying fuses in a few hours. Will update. I heard maybe crankshaft pos. sen. or fatherinlaw(DIY'er) suggested maybe timing problem. Thanks for the insight.
Any suggestions on where/what to start checking to find solution would be greatly helpful. Im a student in last sem. for industrial engineering technican so i have the applitude just dont have many trouble-shooting skills. thanks happy holidays!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you can see the cam lobes by removing the oil fill cap see if they're moving as you crank.

Also, if the timing belt skipped a tooth it could do what you're describing while still making the cam turn, just out of time.

If it's possible to inspect or see the cam wheel without disassembling a bunch of stuff, see if it's still lined up when engine is at TDC.

210K (miles or KM) is a long time to go if the TB has never been replaced, or if you don't know the service history. If you choose to do it consider the water pump at the same time and a complete cooling system service. Use caution on what cleansers you select - engines these days are just "plain old iron" any more.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.
UODATE: I dont think it is a fuse problem. My boss was nice enough to clean up my starter contacts, so now the car will at least start for a few seconds. It runs so so rough i dont know whats the problem, my boss said just to junk it but i dont really have that option. the way it runs it acts like its out of sync or something so could that be the timing chain, and im almost postitive the chain wasnt replaced ever. Previous owner/s tried to be diy'r mechanics which is ok but the ******* rigged the whole car i dont even have a catalitic convtr.

when i do start it hesitates for just a second and fires right up, but it runs so badly(idle2.75-3.25rpm) im scared to keep it running so i turn it off or sometimes it will die itself.

1998 chevy malibu 3.1L V6 , 209,XXX mi.

P.S. I will try the to look through the oil spout to see if i can see the cams turing, but wouldnt they have to be turning for it to run at all? and I already got a water pump cause i bought one a little over a year ago so it was under warranty.
Thanks.

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.
UODATE: I dont think it is a fuse problem. My boss was nice enough to clean up my starter contacts, so now the car will at least start for a few seconds. It runs so so rough i dont know whats the problem, my boss said just to junk it but i dont really have that option. the way it runs it acts like its out of sync or something so could that be the timing chain, and im almost postitive the chain wasnt replaced ever. Previous owner/s tried to be diy'r mechanics which is ok but the ******* rigged the whole car i dont even have a catalitic convtr.

when i do start it hesitates for just a second and fires right up, but it runs so badly(idle2.75-3.25rpm) im scared to keep it running so i turn it off or sometimes it will die itself.

1998 chevy malibu 3.1L V6 , 209,XXX mi.

P.S. I will try the to look through the oil spout to see if i can see the cams turing, but wouldnt they have to be turning for it to run at all? and I already got a water pump cause i bought one a little over a year ago so it was under warranty.
Thanks.
Yes, they're turning if it's running. On your original post I wasn't sure if it just fired once, sputtered, then died, or if it ran for awhile. Now that you've said it runs in its present state I'd have to guess you skipped a tooth on the timing belt. But here's the rub - I'm not completely familiar with the '98 3.1 so I'm not sure if it has a chain (internally lubricated) or a belt (external, not lubricated). If it has a belt then it could easily have skipped a tooth, especially if it's been over 60K miles since it was replaced. If it has a chain then it's a lot less likely it skipped a tooth but not impossible. A chain will require removing a cover to access the sprockets and chain; a belt can be done without breaking oil sealing gaskets.

#7 ·
Beyond what I've said I'll have to see if our member technician(s) want to weigh in, or our esteemed DIY owner(s) who have been there, done that. My '97 Pontiac GP had a 3.1 but I never dug too far into it before I traded it (more like pushed off a cliff) for my '09 'Bu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.