Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alright! Getting used to my new ride. Autostop.

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Tucker63 
#1 ·
I have a few thoughts and questions now that I've pretty much figured out all the bells and whistles. Thank goodness driving the car is just like driving any other car!

1. Autostop. Does it annoy anyone that when you're parking, it goes into autostop until you put it in Park and then the engine comes on. I'm sure there is a good technical reason for this.. but as I'm a bit a "hack your life" guy, I have been thinking of turning the car off before putting in park to not have the engine restart.

Does restarting the engine come via the electrical motor? I have not heard a "starter" per se and that's good as it would seem it would die quickly!

#2 ·
Yep the electric motor that recharges the under hood battery also restarts the engine from auto stop.

It doesn't annoy me at all that the car starts back up when I put it in park and it was in auto stop mode right before that.

#4 ·
I also wondered a lot about the wear and tear on it.My wife drives the car in DC stop and go traffic at least 2 hours a day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.That's a lot of on/off but the warranty on that whole system is a great one and I will probably trade it in in a few years so why worry about it.If it breaks they fix it.

#7 ·
I think he means he puts it into neutral so it won't shut off then he puts it into park and shuts the engine off. Seems like a lot of trouble for nothing to me.
It was designed to turn off and on by itself, let it do it.

#9 · (Edited)
Huh?
It only auto stops the engine when it is in drive with the foot on the brake as it thinks you are sitting at a stop light so it shuts the car off to save gas. Also it only keeps the engine off temporarily in those situations, it can restart the engine if for example the temps are not comfortable in the car as to how you have the climate controls set or if the battery is getting low in the trunk etc. When it is in park it idles the engine to keep the battery charged. It was never designed to auto stop the engine when it is in park.
Still no idea what the big deal is. Pull up to your house, put it in park, shut the engine off, take the key out and stop worrying. ;)

#11 ·
Maybe some day in the future the car will be smart enough to know you are getting ready to turn it off so it will keep the car off even when you put it in park. Until then we will have to go through the misery of it starting itself back up as we slide the shifter into park and then agonize as we turn the key off and the engine shuts off once again. A bottle of whiskey will help you forget that traumatizing experience in the meantime. :D

#12 ·
LOL I know I'm not picking.

Again - I trust GM to have done the best thing. I've never been let down by a GM drivetrain.

I have more nitpicks with the aptly named Infotainment system, but, 1st world problems, right?!
:p

#13 ·
Could be a needed "restart" to let the system know the engine will not be restarting anytime soon, could be some systems are left in a different state during anticipated restart. Anyway I agree, it's a little odd but just drive it like the engineers designed it, dont really have much choice without an override anyway. Cool car overall, just got to get used to this new technology,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.