Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How do you reset the oil life system?

171K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Billr580 
#1 · (Edited)
Just finished changing the oil and filter on my 2.4L - thanks for the help here, went smoothly with the special socket.

Now I am trying to reset the Engine Oil Life System and can not figure it out. It was not close to needing changing, about 91%, but I got 1000 miles and always do it this way. Problem is the owner's manual says to Display OIL LIFE RESET on the DIC. I can not find that on the DIC. I have pressed all the buttons trying to make it reset while on the oil life left, but to no avail. Does anyone know the secret to how to reset this?

Thanks PepsiCE005, he had the answer!

Bob

#2 ·
Hi Bob,
While the vehicle is in Park, you need to hold down "info" and the enter (<-) key for a few seconds.. that will bring you into advanced options.. I believe oil reset is the first option that will show up. Just select that and it'll revert back to 100%.

#3 ·
Thanks, got it now. You think they would make the manual a little more user friendly. It doesn't automatically revert though, you have to push reset right below it. And you have to do it quickly, as it goes back to what it was on. I stumbled around and looked at the DIC section and got it and the all important ACKNOWLEDGEMENT and it reset. Thanks again, forums are great!:)

#5 ·
Yes. What's weird on our '08 is, at least from the first time it was tried, my mother attempted to reset the oil life monitor how I had told her (through the DIC, go to the screen and hold Select) but it would not work. Tried it several times, and no luck. So, from her past GM's, I said try the pedal trick and that did it. Possibly an issue, but the buttons work otherwise, so we've never pursued it--I did read of a couple of Aura owners with the same bug, on another forum, some time ago.

So, like most GM vehicles, the DIC reset is the formal way to do it but the key on & pedal pump also works in the Malibu.

#6 ·
I have a 2009 Malibu and I don't have a <- button. I tried the enter button in combination with just about everything (I think) and could not get to advanced menus. I was able to reset the oil life indicator with the key on and gas pedal 3 times. But how do I get to the advanced menus on my 2009?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.