Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

08-12 Malibu Headlight Bulbs Replacement Guide With 105 Pictures

113K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  Landen48 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I've been lurking here for years since my family had a 2006 'bu and now also an '11.

I just finished creating a detailed write up of the headlight bulb replacement process on our 7th gen Malibu.

I took 105 pictures to make it easy for anyone to get this done without spending $$$ at the dealership :)mad:).

I uploaded the gallery here - 2008-2012 Chevy Malibu Headlight Bulbs Replacement Guide

It's a time consuming process, but relatively easy once you do it once.

I hope someone finds it to be useful. :)

It felt so good to finally pull away the bumper cover and get to that headlight assembly after 30 minutes of work.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for sharing that! It really shows a helpful and generous attitude.

#3 ·

I just hope it helps some people avoid an unnecessary trip to the dealership.

I had a shop neglect to fill up my transmission fluid on my first new car (2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP) during its 60k mile service. Their mistake cost me $2,800 for a tranny rebuild.

I decided after that experience that I would always do all my own maintenance.

#6 ·
Are the '13 Malibus the same way? Im hoping on them it doesnt require removing the bumper cover to change a headlight bulb haha

#8 ·
Thats good.. It was a pain to change the headlights on my '10 but it still wasnt all that bad.

Wait until the 08-12 Malibus are a few years old and headlight bulbs start going out. There will be alot of lazy people driving around with their brights on because they dont have the know how to take the bumper cover off to change them.

#9 ·
Driving with their brights on - now that scares me!

#10 ·
With some of these headlight bulbs some people are using it already looks like they are driving around with brights on all the time.

#12 ·
Paul79UF — your step-by-step was a GODsend! Thanks for posting all of that information. I would not have been able to figure this out on my own very easily. Much appreciated.

This has me really steaming at the designers and engineers responsible for this stupidity. And unfortunately this is one of a list of issues with our 08 that has me in the frame of mind to consider other brands over Chevrolet or GM for my next purchase.

Does anyone know of a replacement kit for the headlamp housings that would allow easy removal with some exterior screws — you know, kind of like they used to design and engineer cars in the old days?

#16 ·
Yep - been lamented many times before you stopped by. A few other issues we gripe about: No serviceable trans filter, 4-cyl trans has no dipstick, A-pillar blocks the view, door locks die prematurely.

But overall it's a great car.

#20 ·
I had Silver Stars in my car before this and experienced good life with them. Never burnt out in the 3 years I had it (08 Altima).

I did pull the fuse on my Bu to turn off the DRL. Perhaps that was the drainage issue?

What's recommended for brightness? Don't want to do HIDs as these cars aren't equipped with the proper housing.

#21 · (Edited)
generally brighter bulbs burn out faster, some are illegal as well! at least you will know WHY your bill for replacing a bulb is SOOO much $$$. replacing both as recommended is a no brainer this time. glad i am a "backyard" mechanic with a garage + tools that i enjoy using! always wonder since much general upkeep on old cars are gone do designers do these things ON PURPOSE!!!!

#22 ·
You'll have to determine the source of your draw, if you have one. Sure the battery is good? I would tend to doubt the DRL fuse would solve a draw issue, but a parasitic draw test would answer that better.

I can't recommend aftermarket bulbs for which is better, I have no experience with them. I see fine with my stock bulbs.

#24 · (Edited)
Couple tips for future venturers, I just did this a week ago:
1- was easier for me to have front wheels off and car up on stands

2- there are 3 MORE push pins on the liner to remove to help access to the fender bolts. one is at frame rail in front, the other 2 are underneath. sorry, no pics

3- I could not align the headlights properly without doing this!... the plastic 'spikes' that are rearmost on the headlight assembly interfered with the bracket that connects the fender and bumper cover...(see image below). Remember the pesky front bolts you LOOSENED? Now that you are re-installing the lights, go ahead and remove the bolts... slide the bracket out of the way. Once you get the spikes in all the holes, slide the headlight up, so the TABS go into the slots all the way and then install the 2 bolts to hold the headlight. THEN, slide that bracket back into place and insert the bolt (a couple turns out from tight). WHY? one of the TABS (in the middle of the housing) is darn near impossible to see that it lined up once you get that assembly up... and I could not fanagle it in due to the rear spikes hitting the bracket.

4- electric screw driver saved a lot of time

5- I had a few extra 'Christmas trees' and push pins available, since that stuff can get damaged.

6- buy ALL 8 bulbs and do them all while you have the bumper cover off... that way you should extend the time you have until the next time

Attachments

#25 ·
Thanks for the write up!

The wife had asked if it would be too terrible of a job to swap in some brighter bulbs, and I had heard it was. This confirms it, but this thread should make the whole process bearable.

#27 ·
I did this job last week, and I was unable to get the bumper all the way off, so I didn't have the access I wanted, but I only needed to change the low beam passenger bulb, and it was right there on the end. All and all they were real good instructions, probably operator error that I couldn't seem to get the bumper to come off like was showed in the pics.
So that's my story, not a great ending, but I do have a headlight on the passenger side now...........................................................
Mike

#28 ·
Thank you so much for posting this! Only snags I ran into involved rusted bolts snapping and having to search around a hardware store for a way to re-attach some parts.

Wanted to share a really cool pic: I upgraded the stock bulb to a modified H9 (stock is H11). I used Hella high performance 2.0 bulbs which are only $30 a pair and look fantastic. Light up the road well but not overly blue, I think they're about 4150K.

AND! I changed the marker lights and turn signal bulbs to high output LEDs while I had the whole thing apart, very pleased with them. They're just Sylvania "super bright" LEDs you can get at any parts store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.