Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paint Bowtie front, back, center caps, grille, and fog light housing

11K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Casper_ 
#1 ·
Hey every one this is my First Thread. I've been on the website jus to look around but I finally made one when I got my car June 2012. My name is Tommy hope you guys like it. But anyways, My car will be all white pretty soon.
Here is My car Dead Stock:

See less See more
#2 ·
I Really didn't think about how I was going to do this, I just did it.

I made it really difficult on myself. I taped off the chrome around the bowtie and sanded it down. Wiped clean primed and painted. I didn't like the results because when I pulled the tape it wasn't a clean tape line. So then I got the idea of taking the actual bowtie off leaving the chrome on. Then I got some adhesive after I repainted and placed it on and it was beautiful.

#3 ·
I did the same with my grille, I just taped around the chrome and sanded and sprayed. Turned out good. The reason I did this is because I didn't know how to take off my grill. But after a video on YouTube I was successful.

#4 ·
Now my center caps was fairly easy! I jus simply taped them, used a razor blade to cut off tape on the painted surface. Sanded and sprayed.

#5 ·
My fog lights and lower grille I didn't do we'll but you can't tell in pics lol. If I could remove the chrome they would be A+ but they look good. I took the bumper off To get to them. Be sure to be very careful to not break the fog light when removing it from the bumper! I did. I just didn't tell my wife. Lol. So it's holding on by 1 less clip.

#6 · (Edited)
Here are a few before and after pictures.

#7 ·
Looks good...thats a lot of white :) Did you spray the grille with the bumper off or on? You said on but then said you figured out how to remove it. Reason I ask is it looks like is sprayed white on the plastic baffles behind the grille.

#8 ·
Thanks I appreciate it. And the first time I taped around the chrome and sprayed with the bumper on, but I noticed the little boxes (baffles) at the bottom that I didn't like. So I decided to take the bumper off and paint the plastic pieces behind the grille back black. After that it looks better. As you can see in the latter pics.

#10 ·
Yes, thank you!

#12 · (Edited)
You thinkin bout doing it? I think you should! It's worth it. Every other malibu I drive by looks and stares at me as I pass and I jus smile like hell yea lol

#15 ·

As you see above. Where I drew the arrows in black is where you would pry off with one of those really tiny screw drivers. Go all around until it comes off. Be careful to not snap it in half. It will take a little while. Now the red arrows are where you don't want to pry at all.

Anybody else have a better way please let us know!

#17 ·

I guess it's called the lower grille? It was jus black and really unnoticeable but I thought I just paint it white and now you can really notice it!

#16 ·
Very nice job! I was gonna comment on the boxes behind the grille, too, but noticed in the last image that you returned them to black. I took mine off and painted them red (to go with body color) and clear coated them as well. Looks real nice, feels real nice, and still no nicks or degradation after 25,000 miles and almost 2 years.

Did you put a clear coat over your paint? (You didn't mention it, or if you did I didn't see it.)

#18 ·
Hey what's up DrivenDaily thank you for liking it! And I also wanted to thank you for letting me know how to do it on one of those other post I asked a question on. Yours looks great! And yes it's clear on all except the grille. I think i just forgot to do it lol. Maybe I should do that? You think so?

#19 ·
I would strongly suggest it. Your grilles are experiencing every mile you drive and need more protection than your trunk lid does. Your option, but that's my opinion.

#20 ·
Your way is the smart way. I shall proceed with the smart way. It would be better in the long run. So I won't have to re-do it

#21 ·
Really like what you've done here.. One of my favorite bu's on the site!

#24 ·
Thank You! Makes me feel like i did a good job!

I think you did a great job of setting yourself apart from all the other 'Bu's on the road. Looks good and just remember the mistakes you make as far as paint and perfect lines, most don't notice except you. It's kind of a good don't say anything and no one will notice type deal. Good job!

Your right. Thanks Man!!

I have tried this and can't seem to get anything up under the bowtie without damaging the chrome. Any suggestions?
I have a iphone and changed the screen a few times. The screen came with this really small skinny screwdriver. I used that.

Go to a store that sells tools and they should have one.

#22 ·
I think you did a great job of setting yourself apart from all the other 'Bu's on the road. Looks good and just remember the mistakes you make as far as paint and perfect lines, most don't notice except you. It's kind of a good don't say anything and no one will notice type deal. Good job!

#25 ·
How is the white holding up with driving and road debree? I think I want to do this. I really like the white upper and lower grilles compared to the LTZ silver uppers and black lowers..

#26 ·
Actually it's holding up pretty good besides the little nic on the Bowtie. But I think this was because I was following behind one of them oversized loads on the freeway carrying a bulldozer thingy. Little rocks started to fall off and hit my car. So I think that's what it's from. But other than that the grilles are great. I think you should do it. It's diff from all the other malibus I seen. And people tell me that all the time!

#27 ·
Im going to do it. I just wish I had a garage, or that it wasn't so cold in Ohio right now. I need that 60 degree weather back we just had

#28 ·
Yea it's getting cold. Well atleast it's raining and not snowing. What part Ohio u in.

#29 ·
A tiny town called Brilliant in Eastern Ohio.. ...Only 40 mins from Pittsburgh

#30 ·
Aw ok cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.