Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

P1441 code on 99 Malibu

12K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I just purchased a 1999 used chevy malibu with 109,000 miles and about 2 days after that the check engine light came on and since then the car has been revving when idle/in park and then the RPM jumps while it sounds like the car is trying to stay on and not stall.
We just ran it to Autozone today and got the code P1441 and they gave us 2 readings "failed canister purged solenoid" and "possible fuel tank pressure sensor". Unfortunately, our family mechanic (my dad) is out of the country and unable to help in anyway.

I need the car in good shape for a new job starting next week with a fairly high traffic commute so we ran it up to the auto shop for them to take a look at.

My husband said the mechanic jumped right to saying we need a fuel pump. I am a little uneasy about this because I've read similar posts in this forum and it hasn't required that big of a fix.

Can I get some opinions from you guys so I can avoid getting ripped off, or at least ask the right questions of the mechanic after they take a closer look at it?

Thank you in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
P1441 means "EVAP canister continuous open purge flow, or high voltage during non-purge." Failure to maintain proper idle speed in this case usually is a massive vacuum leak (perhaps from the EVAP line). I'm not sure where they're getting the fuel pump malfunction unless they did a fuel pressure check. It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion.

#3 ·
What SS saus makes perfect sense, too! The way the PCM runs the engine is it looks at the oxygen content of the exhaust and adjusts the fuel accordingly. If there's way too much O2 in the exhaust (like from a massive vacuum leak) it'll add fuel to correct it. That results in an engine that's revving more.

An engine that runs too lean but still runs can melt engine parts because the combustion heat goes way up. The fuel actually helps reduce the temperature inside the cylinder some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.