Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tire Rotation

13K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  USA1fan 
#1 ·
I have been thinking about tire rotation options and am interested in other’s opinions. My past Saabs have usually had unidirectional tires and/or wheels so rotation was just front to rear (Malibu is built on the Epsilon chassis like the Saab 9-3). My recently sold 325i recommended no tire rotation. The manual for the Malibu shows the traditional American car/truck “X” rotation.

The issues are that the “X” rotation requires a lift and 4 wheels off the ground. The local rate for tire rotation is $30.00. I can jack both front and rear of one side in the driveway to do front to rear rotation myself.

If rotated at 5,000 miles, the “X” rotations would cost me $240 over 45,000 miles, half the cost of a new set of tires. That does not make any sense. I never understood why BMW recommended against any rotation but the front wheels always wore much faster (spinning and alignment) than the rear on my multiple Saabs.

Front to rear would seem to be the way to go. Any thoughts?

#3 ·
I deal with a local goodyear shop. I had some triple treads (directional) put on my Trailblazer last year. He recommended rotation and balance every 11k to 12k miles. Obviously, it's a front to back swap only. Tires are still perfect after 20k miles. My Malibu has the Hankook non-directionals and I'll still wait until at least 10k to rotate. My thoughts here, and I'm no expert, but I was told that the steel belts inside a tire get "set" into a directional position. So when the tire is rotated and now spins "backwards" from what the belts have been used to there is more chance that the tire will get out of balance and wear faster. Just a thought. Anybody out there have more expertise on this subject for us?

#8 ·
Great point Malibooboo, an issue I never even considered. Pizza man, thanks for the PITA reconfiguration it may take after a rotation. And DOACanada, yes, I will also check my manual and do what Chevy recommends. Good points, everyone. This is why I check the site often. BTW, I still have not visited my dealer on the brake pedal issue but will reply to that thread when I find out if it is a problem. To all,from Iowa, have a nice weekend.

#9 ·
the tire pressure sensors have to be reset to the position on the car.

i think the reason that bmw may have told you not to rotate is because alot of their cars have wider wheels on the back that wont fit on the front.

it usually depends on the technician as to which way the rotation is done, but usually the x pattern is the best.

there is a precedure in the owners manual as to how to reset the tire pressure sensors which probably envolves setting the e-brake and turning the headlight on 3 times, im not positive, but read up on it.

you should rotate your tires every 7,000 miles

#10 ·
The TPMS matching process is outlined below:

Set the parking brake.
Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.
Press and hold the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter's LOCK and UNLOCK buttons, at the same time, for about five seconds to start the TPMS learn mode. The horn sounds twice indicating the TPMS receiver is ready and in learn mode.
Start with the driver side front tire. The driver side front turn signal also comes on to indicate that corner's sensor is ready to be learned.
Remove the valve cap from the tire's valve stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for about eight seconds. The horn chirp, can take up to 30 seconds to sound. It chirps one time and then all the turn signals flash one time to confirm the sensor identification code has been matched to the tire/wheel position.
The passenger side front turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side front tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
The passenger side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
The driver side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
After hearing the single horn chirp for the driver side rear tire, two additional horn chirps sound to indicate the tire learning process is done. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.
If no tires are learned after entering the TPMS learn mode, or if communication with the receiver stops, or if the time limit has expired, turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF and start over beginning with Step 2.

Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.
Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.