Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

new to forum, want a malibu; how about this?

6K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  cerivera65 
#1 ·
hi everybody, my name is brett and i'm new to the forum here and would like some advice. as somebody who's been driving cadillacs for appx 13 years, its time for a new car and i just can't afford another caddy. i need something more reliable and with better mpg. ive since decided on the malibu.

ive been having trouble finding what i like and what i can afford. until last night, i ran across a used 2009 2LT with 36k mi and they want 13000 for it. i have yet to check it out, but it looks very clean in the pictures. this is a price range closer to what i can comfortably pay. is this a good deal and would any of you do the same deal?

thanks, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 ·
When it was new it was MSRP of $22K or more, depending on accessories. Go to kbb.com (Kelley Blue Book) and put it in to see what it's worth on the street. $13K sounds pretty good but you have to remember that the b-b (bumper to bumper) is up after 3 years or 36K miles, whichever comes first. All you'd have left is the 5/50 drivetrain, etc., and any transferrable extended warranty. B-B can be useful if there are any issues, so if there's even a mile left, check it out completely and get it to the dealer to have those noted and corrected.

Once you buy it, if you do, come on back with pics and specifics.

#4 ·
A 2LT comes well equipped so if it is in as good as condition as you think it is than its a good price. Don't wait any longer, have a look for yourself in person and test drive it. If you are still skeptical than come back and ask some questions. We will be happy to help you out.

#5 ·
i would say it's a great deal if it is equipped with the V6, otherwise i'd knock a couple of hundred bucks if it's a 4 cyl...go for it. i love mine 24,000 trouble free miles and counting on my second Malibu 2LT V6. previously had an 2004 Malibu 2LT V6...:D

#7 ·
well, looks as though the listing was bogus. showed california location, then was emailed and told the car was in tampa! sounds shady and im moving on.

couple more questions; ive been looking new for a while now. is new the way to go with these cars, especially with all the incentives? and if so, should i buy now or wait a little longer? i prefer the LT package but, am i losing that much going with the LS? and, why is it so hard to find a black malibu????

#8 ·
i prefer the LT package but, am i losing that much going with the LS? and, why is it so hard to find a black malibu????
I suppose you have to ask yourself what are the "must have" features and features that are nice but you can live without. After that, take a look at the standard features on each model and pair up the model that matches most of your must haves.

If you find yourself leaning in the 2LT range, you can find some pre-owned ones at a really good price. If you need an Autocheck report (I trust more than Carfax) send me the VIN and I can email you the autocheck report as I have an account with them.

#9 ·
13,000 sounds like a great deal....the only thing that bothers me is the mileage. Sounds like a rental with that type of mileage. Drive it, get it checked out, if it is sound and cosmetically good, then go for it. You can always get a decent aftermarket warranty for a good price if you negotiate a little.

#10 ·
well, i still havent purchased yet. missed out on march incentives. i want a black malibu, but i'll be damned if they arent hard as hell to find! still considering used, but was wondering if anybody knew about any new incentives coming up?

#14 ·
well, i pulled the trigger on a car! 2010 1LT, black granite. the car is beautiful and i cant wait to do a couple things to her to make her mine. i'll post details and pics later

#18 ·
I was actually in the same situation as you. I always drove Caddy's. My last car was a CTS. The new CTS just got too expensive. I bought a new Malibu LT2. The LT2 is a perfect model if you're used to the Cadillac features, but don't want to go for too much money such as the LTZ. The LT2 has all of the same features that the CTS had and more. The CTS I owned had the 3.6 Liter option, so it was an upgrade and the LT2 still has more features such as heated seats, 3 Channel Garage Door Opener, Bluetooth, etc. The only feature that the LT2 does not have that the Caddy had is the Electronic Climate Control. That's only offered on the LTZ. I feel that the Malibus are just as good looking as the new CTS and you're getting a much better value.

And my biggest complaint with the CTS was gas mileage. The best I ever did on the highway was 25 - 26 MPG. I already got 33 MPG with the Malibu 4 Cylinder. I was a little concerned going from a 260 HP CTS to the Malibu 4 Cylinder, but it's a very responsive engine and I don't regret getting the 4 cylinder.

Regarding the car you're interested in, that sounds like a lot of mileage for a one year old car, but the price sounds pretty good.

#20 ·
I think that is a lot of mileage, is either a rental or a lease return. Under 30K would be much better. Price is not bad...but I would do a history through CARFAX or something like that...personally I think you can do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.