Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm on a Malibu forum.

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Stealthmode 
#1 ·
and never thought I would be. Hello, I'm Steve, and I was recently given a 2005 Malibu classic with one missing rod, and a nice hole in the block. It's a 2.2 ecotec.

So, I'm gonna swap the engine and give it to the wife to drive. I've done some research as far as where I can source the engines, but there are a couple different variations with or without EGR valves on the head and such. I came here to get more info on which years of other cars I could pull from for this swap. A complete longblock swap shouldn't take more than a day.

And while I've never worked on a Malibu before, with the correct info I can get this done. Here's my civic that I built.

The kids play driving

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to our forum, nice gift you got there. I don't think I can be of much help with the swap info but we have plenty of other members that will chime in soon enough.

Thanks for sharing the pics too, very clean Honda!

#4 ·
Welcome!

Oh, you might wanna put the steering wheel back on the left... ;)

#7 ·
Thanks for the welcomes, but it's like super hard to deliver the mail in one of those US spec cars. Lol. Anyhow, guy at the parts store told this engine should be plentiful, with them also being used in saturns too. I'm just concerned with the getting an engine from the wrong year and discovering variances in sensors/locations/obd ? Stuff. That's why I'm here.

#8 · (Edited)
I think one of the differences is the throttle-by-wire which made the traction control possible. I'm not certain if the 2005 Classic had throttle control cables but you may want to verify. If so, 2.2L from Saturns wouldn't be a simple swap. BTW, you may want to say "Classic" instead of "Malibu" in User CP.

#10 ·
The first year of the gen 6 ones was 2005. But Chevy still sold the "old" gen 5 for a year mainly to fleets. So calling them both a Malibu would be confusing, hence the 2005 Classic. There was a 2008 Classic based on the gen 6 as well, even though the gen 7 came out in 2008. Confused? LOL.

#11 ·
Kinda like Coke. Used to be one flavor, then they changed the formula and people screamed. So they brought it back and called it Coke Classic. Still is.

#12 ·
yep. My neighbor has a 2003 Malibu that looks way newer (and better) than this one I acquired, but more than anything, I'm trying to figure out which engine I should be looking for. I found some 2.2's on Craigslist, but I still feel to uneducated to buy any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.