Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malibu good for 200K miles?

138K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  1959 
#1 ·
I just crossed 70,000 miles on the Malibu and all is well. The car is still very solid feeling. I've projected that it will hit 200k mid 2014. Do you think 200K with no major problems is reasonable? I'm more worried about the transmission and AC then anything else. I've seen people beat the hell out of poorly maintained GM engines and still get 200k.

That should be:
a set of plugs
2 more sets of tires
2 more bake jobs
2 more transmission services
6 more air filters
26 more oil changes

#2 ·
Off the top of my head, I can think of:

Coolant drain and refill
Serpentine belt
Wheel alignment (with struts and front-end suspension wear items as necessary)
Catalytic converter(s)
Various sensors as necessary
Optional fluid changes (brake, and power steering if you have it)

#3 ·
With proper maintenance 200,000 is no big deal. Have the trans serviced. It will last much longer that way. GM transmissions are much better than they were in the past. A friend of mine has chevy Colorados and 1500 Silverados for his business. He is careful to do maintenance on them. They are driven by employees so thats not good for them. He has a few with over 300,000 with only 1 needing a trans. He changes the oil every 5000 and has the tranys serviced every third oil change. Several others have over 200,000. No major engine work on any of them.

#4 ·
Here's hoping it's better than our 2000 Chevy Venture. The tranny completely failed at 24,000 miles, while still under warranty.

At 65,000, the tranny now has a sticking solenoid (common problem), and it's going to cost $770 to fix.

I haven't bothered to replace the fluid since it was completely flushed when the tranny was rebuilt.

This is my wife's soccer mom car, so it's not like it gets a lot of abuse.

I also have to replace the leaking steering rack, had the intake manifold problem fixed (common problem), and had the rear wheel bearings replaced at 55K. The 3.4 engine's been rock solid, but it's rediculous how soon some of the other components are failing. Very disappointing.

I'd trade it in, but the trade in values are horrendous on a domestic 10 year old minivan.

#6 ·
Yes, we had a similar experience with our 2003 Malibu - one of the most problem free cars I've ever owned. Aside from rotors, the only repair was a $15 part for the ventilation fan. At 6 years, 50K, I sold it to a family member and bought an '09 Malibu.

You're lucky with a '98 since you didn't have the intake manifold problem. That afflicted many Malibu's of that vintage (unless you had the 2.4 engine).

I'm still smarting on the Venture since that has proven to be such a disappointment in comparison.

#8 ·
i had a 1999 that hit 195000 before trading in for my current malibu.
Some issues were brake lines rotted out and all had to be replaced, once you fix one pressure forces through in another location etc.
Alternator died, this happened really suddenly and was the first major problem after about 4.5 years and 145000 miles
the last few years i had several brake issues that couldn't be fixed permanently the last which i didnt fix was a leaking master cylinder, the cost to repair was more than it was worth so i drove it until i could trade it in.
minor maintenance helps keep em going

#12 ·
Yours is an '03, we're in the Gen7 forum.

I am on my 3rd Gen7. 1st was an '09 3.6L V6, traded at 20K for an '11 3.6L V6, lost to a flood at 44K. Found another '11 3.6L V6 with 56K that now has 92K on the clock.

On this car I've done the following:
60,700 . . . tint 35/20/20
64,835 . . . brake fluid flush - dealership
71,012 . . . 13036 recall
81,752 . . . 4 new tires
82,435 . . . water pump, t-stat - by me
83,100 . . . lowered 1.4" - by me
83,535 . . . flush PS fluid and brake fluid - by me
84,254 . . . spark plugs replaced - by me
86,330 . . . HP Tuners by cp-the-nerd, mostly transmission with some engine parameters

See the 2 brake fluid flushes? Dealer did one for $100, then dipped the litmus paper into the brake fluid and it came out just as purple as before they did the job. I resolved not to trust them to work on my car anymore since they apparently aren't as capable as me at doing it right.

#11 ·
200K, easy! 70K is just starting to break in...

My 08 LTZ V6 has 140K! Still runs and looks new! I'd love a new 2016 Camaro RS v6, but can't justify it. Mine LTZ looks and rides new (after a few issues along the way). My guess is that I'll start looking for a new vehicle when I hit 300K.

I've done a lot of work on the car to keep it mechanically like new. Thanks to GM who replaced my transmission. I've done suspension and many other things, and my buddy who is a mechanic just hooked me up with new ceramic brakes all around. WOW...

I'm a detailer, so once a year, I steam clean the engine, polish the exhaust tips, deep clean the wheels & wells plus it gets compounded, polished & sealed. In between, I polish and coat every 6 months including full interior. I just added Weather Tech mats, and for winter 16" steel wheels with Yokahama Snow Tires.

#13 ·
@guitarboy - That is a beautiful specimen of a gen 7 Malibu, first model year to boot! I wish I had that kind of time and resolve, my car needs a full wash/wax/detail bad. It takes me hours to do all that and at this point the car still looks a bit rough up front from blemishes and rock chips.

#14 ·
Thanks CP - That's why people pay me to do it. :)
A typical paint correction event w/ full interior is 8-12 hours.
Bumper covers are always tough because the soft plastic gets pitted.
On mine, I wet sanded, compounded, polished, painted w/ Dr. Color Chip & sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.