Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

brake position sensor

46K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  repairman54 
#1 ·
ok so the abs light service traction and service esc light is on.. took it to the dealer and they plugged in the tech 2 and for one code " brake position sensor open or shorted to ground" i put it in last night and the lights are still on i was wondering if there is a calibration sequence that has to be done with it? or do you think its a broken wire?

john

#4 ·
Wow, another attack on techs just because of one person's actions!

30 years ago my wife got mad at me so all wives are unreasonable.

300 years ago some European men enslaved and sold Africans so all Europeans are slave-mongers.

Yep, makes sense to me! :eek:

#6 ·
sorry about that but this rant is acceptable went to another dealer they figured out what was going on and told me there was 11 faults that came up on the tech 2 all history and that the right front hub was cutting out changed the hub and seems to be good to go..... definately some guys just out there to get your money!! there first dealer was where i bought the car and they said yea we will "plug in" and let you know whats going on.... yea told me there was a brake position senor bad..... then i took it to another and said let me know whats wrong and for $115 i got the answer i was looking for and 11 other faults..... kinda funny

#8 ·
Jtice1984,

Sorry to hear this and I apologize on behalf of Chevy for your service experience. Glad you were ultimately able to get your Malibu issues resolved. If you would like to voice your concerns about this experience to the original dealership, please private message me your first and last name, the last 8-digits of your VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership.

Thank you for being a Chevy Customer.

Regards,
Vanessa, GM Customer Service (assisting Sara)

#7 ·
Sounds like some folks know how to do their job and some don't. Now that you've found one who will, keep going there!

#9 ·
Techs are like doctors, some are like Dr. Oz, some are like Dr. Kevorkian but they are both doctors.
PS , I'm a tech in the appliance field for over 40 yrs. , qualified critic.......

#10 ·
If the brake lights ( in the rear of the car) are on but your foot is not on the brake pedal, most likely the BCM 'thinks' the pedal is depressed when it isn't. The brake pedal position sensor is not a simple on/off switch like the good old days. The sensor is also most likely not the problem. Fretting corrosion on the BCM connectors will change the voltage the BCM 'sees' from the BPPS and will change the actual counts as seen on a scan tool in BCM data. The fix is to work the BCM connectors a few times to clean off the fretting corrosion and the problem will go away for a while. You can do that yourself easily by disconnecting the battery with the key off and disconnecting the BCM connectors with the blue lock lever and disconnect and reconnect the conectors a few times. Don't side load the connectors. You could also use a product like deoxit but you would need the cleaner 'D series' and the protector 'gold series' to make a lasting repair. Then the BPPS learn should be done to zero the sensor and your lights should work properly again.

Now if the ABS and traction control lights are on, that's a different story, then a bad hub bearing could easily be the cause. Through no fault of your own, you may have been given bad info from the tech working on the car. For us to help you, we need accurate info, we can't see what you see, nor can we access the codes in your vehicle. Though you may be frustrated with the tech working on your car, that tech isn't us, go see his manager and voice your concerns with him so it has a chance of being addressed before it happens to more customers.

#11 ·
If the brake lights ( in the rear of the car) are on but your foot is not on the brake pedal, most likely the BCM 'thinks' the pedal is depressed when it isn't. The brake pedal position sensor is not a simple on/off switch like the good old days. The sensor is also most likely not the problem. Fretting corrosion on the BCM connectors will change the voltage the BCM 'sees' from the BPPS and will change the actual counts as seen on a scan tool in BCM data. The fix is to work the BCM connectors a few times to clean off the fretting corrosion and the problem will go away for a while. You can do that yourself easily by disconnecting the battery with the key off and disconnecting the BCM connectors with the blue lock lever and disconnect and reconnect the conectors a few times. Don't side load the connectors. You could also use a product like deoxit but you would need the cleaner 'D series' and the protector 'gold series' to make a lasting repair. Then the BPPS learn should be done to zero the sensor and your lights should work properly again.
Welcome back Rodents.

It's been my experience that the fretting corrosion at the BCM issue doesn't set any DTCs in the Gen 7.

#12 ·
nothing against you guys... youve allways helped me out i just thought it was messed up that one dealer says one thing and the other gives me a print out of 11 codes granted i paided for the 11 codes but the dealer that told me one code i bought the car from them... just saying doesnt seem right but so far so good lights are off in the car and my wife is off my ass so its all good!!

thanks
john

#17 ·
Stay on land!!! Those cruise ships are all over the news these days. ;)

#19 ·
Ok, Along this line of problem. I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx LS. The brake warning light came on recently and the info center said brake fluid. I was out of town so the girlfriend added brake fluid (it didn't really need it ;)). The light is still on and the info center still says brake fluid. I have checked fluid level myself and it is full. A few months ago, I went to get some new key fobs programmed and the guy at the dealer said I had a brake pedal position sensor code and also a BCM code. He could not clear the codes so I didn't get fobs programmed at that time. I had also been noticing that the cruise control would not set unless a applied the brakes hard then it would set until the next time. I assume from all this that the BPPS is indeed bad or as someone on here said the connectors are corroded. I would rather replace the sensor to be sure. The car has about 112,000 miles on it and has been well maintained since it was new (bought it from parents with about 50K on it. Any advice? I have two friends one of which is an ASE cert. mechanic that worked at a Chevy dealership. I know he will help. My big question is which type of BPPS to get. one is about 60 dollars and universal fit, the other is double that but car specific. Money is tight!. Any help appreciated.

#21 ·
Ok I have looked up recalls ans see nothing specific to the BPPS problem. There are a couple that I will have checked this week. Here's a question however pertaining to the BPPS on my 05 MAXX LS. I found 2 separate "Switches" under the dash by the brake pedal ( I have adjustable pedals BTW). One is a white circular one with a swing arm and the other is a long slender black one with a small white slide lever on the side of it. I have replaced the round white BPPS and the other has been put back into place. I had a mechanic friend zero the NEW BPPS and although it said it was complete, I still have a brake warning light on and get a "Brake Fluid" message on my info display upon turning on ignition. The brake fluid reservoir is filled to slightly more than max level (girlfriend did that). Any ideas as to why this info is showing up. All codes have been cleared.

#23 ·
BPS is out of adjustment. It may need a dealer level scan tool to reset also. I changed mine without a reset but I was very careful to go to it's original location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.