Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Service ESC

89K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  R6835 
#1 ·
Hey CMF help me out, my car is acting up. Now this is going to be the second time i took the car back to the dealership for the same thing that keep popping up on the indicator saying reduced engine power, service esc and then says esc off followed by service traction. The first time this happened the dealership reset the computer and after 2 days problem never reoccurred. So i get the car back and 1 1/2 days it starts again same messages indicating. anyone what this is?

#2 ·
Do you happen to know if there were any codes stored that may have been written down on the service receipt? It could be something as small as some corrosion on a connector or maybe a bad module. If you have a code that would be helpful.

#3 ·
I had something similar like this happen to mine last year twice within a few months of each other. First time was a brake circuit and second time they said it was corrosion on a part. I can't remember which part. It was all covered under warranty luckily.

#5 ·
DTC P1516: Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance
DTC P2101: Throttle Actuator Position Performance
DTC P2176: Minimum Throttle Position Not Learned

Something like this could be an issue with terminal tension at the throttle body connector, could be the throttle body itself, or the ECM is not interpreting data properly. Most likely a throttle body issue, but you will need to take it back to the dealer to get it taken care of.

#6 ·
It's funny, we had a very snowy and icy winter and I think I noticed the ESC activate once or twice the whole winter. It's a great system, but it only activates when the car goes into a real skid. I thought with all the snow and ice, I would have seen the message more, but all I ever saw was the Traction Active message.

I will say the Malibu is a heavy car, so it's very stable on the road, even in the snow and ice.

Anyway, most of the time, these problems are sensor related. A sensor probably just needs to be replaced.

#7 ·
The Service ESC is more than likely due to the throttle control codes. If there are throttle control codes the engine control module can't perform its part of the function by reducing torque. The ECM sends a message to the EBCM that it can't do its job and the EBCM sets the Service TC and ECS messages.

Here are the diagnostic procedures for those codes:

Bill

#8 ·
My husband finally figured out what was going on with my 09 Malibu LT2. Last Nov. my Service ESC and Service Traction lights went off and my car was sputtering and stalled. When I started the car I drove it to the dealership and was told by service there that since the car was no longer acting up they could not find any codes on the computer; needless to say; it never happened again...until 3 days ago. While on an outing; the Service ESC and Service Traction lights came on. The car was sputtering and had little power at times. We crawled home and the next morning when I started the car there were no more codes or issues. Today on my way to work; both service lights came on again and NOW the engine light was on. The car could barely stayed started and was sputtering and idling poorly at about 500 RPMs. I immediately brought it to a GM dealership and when hooked up to the computer was told that the car was operating on only 3 cylinders and there was an issue with the one of the cylinders. The terminal was replaced by the dealership; codes reset and everything seemed fine. Happy...I drove the car home BUT 5 minutes out of town the car started stuttering and felt like it was misfiring around 1500 RPMs/50-55 MPH; no service lights at all, just running so poorly. My husband tore apart my car tonight and looked at the affected cylinder terminal and found 2 broken wires in the injector harness. He spliced both wires; reconnected wires and CAR NEVER RAN BETTER.....Took the car for a long ride afterwards and no issues. I will see in the am how it goes but I feel pretty confident my husband found the issue. Broken wires in the injector harness causing Service ESC, Service Traction, Engine Light, Sputtering, Misfiring issues with Malibu.

#12 ·
It's been a few years since you posted, but does your husband remember how he discovered that 2 wires were broken? Did he have to remove the protective tape, etc? I'm having the same problem you described (misfiring around 1500rpm/50-55mph) but didn't see any broken wires when I did a surface level inspection of the harness.

#9 ·
Next thing to do is take it back to the dealer and show them, then ask them to replace the harness so no corrosion sets in on the repairs.

#10 ·
Dear blamb88,

Thank you for posting your situation with your Malibu. I agree with DrivenDaily, get your vehicle back into the dealership. Depending on your mileage, this issue could be covered under your warranty. However, the dealership will have the specific warranty details to confirm this.

If you have further questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to contact me.

Michelle P., Chevrolet Customer Service

#11 ·
I have had the same issues with my Malibu and this will be the 2nd time I've had it in for this issue. The first time cost over $260 dollars to correct and will hopefully not have a repeat bill such as this. Does anyone at Chevrolet know if they will be doing a recall of this issue and/or talk of compensation..? Thank you

#14 ·
I am having the same problem the first time was in feb 2014 happened then it went away and drove fine till today it did the same thing and I am overly mad about it. I can believe that other people are having the same problem and it has yet to be recalled!! Nothing like stuck at 2AM with a child on the side of the freeway because of this car. So mad i told hubby to buy this thing

#15 ·
I am having the same issue with my 2012 Malibu. It has been doing this approximately 3 months after I purchased the vehicle. I was told at my dealership there would be a $55 charge to inform me what was wrong and then the hourly fee. I am hoping a recall will fix, if this is something that seems to be a reoccurring issue for several years.

#16 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 Malibu LTZ, I am seeing the issue I am having is an ongoing issue, however, my Service Department is ignoring me and stating it is not a big deal. The ESC light and traction light comes on as well as the engine light. This has been going on since it was 40,000 miles I am up to 56, 000 miles and it is doing this daily and the motor starts jumping. The dealership refuses to put it on a computer without charging me. I asked if this was the reason of the recall a few months ago and was told yes. However, after researching on the internet it is not. Any ideas without spending lots of money I don't have to fix it and it not be fixed. (There appears to be several issues going on.)

#18 ·
My 2011 is doing this. I have been suffering for 2 years. Dealer never can find problem. Says they need to duplicate it. I told them it won't happen since there is no pattern to frequency. I'm tired of being stranded. I have even recorded the event. Always seems to happen on a weekend when I can't get the car to the dealership. Last time, I called the dealership when it happened which was 45 minutes before they closed AND it was on a Friday. Again, unable to get the car to them since it can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours for the car to be drivable again. Dealer told me to take it to a parts store to get the code since my check engine light comes on. The code was U0101 Lost Communication With Transmission Control Module. I call the dealership on Monday, tell them the code, take it in Tuesday, they keep it til Friday, car won't duplicate (of course) and no evidence of code (which is what they always tell me). Now they say it could be the ECM. How in the world are they ever gonna know if the car doesn't hold the code? This event happens mostly when I get in the car to drive it. There have been three occasions where I have been in full motion and have to find somewhere to pull over. This is so unsafe and I am at my wits end.

#20 ·
I have no idea. After three years of having this issue, I traded about 2 weeks ago. I did stay with the Malibu though just upgraded to a 2013. Two weeks before I traded, the car has done that crazy stuff again. Only that time, I had On-Star record the diagnostics. I had them run it three times because within 30 minutes, the car kept showing different things on the panel. With two pages of codes sent to be from OnStar (some showing current and some history), the dealership still said everything was showing up as history....nothing current. Whatever computer thing as going on, it would keep codes. I was told it was probably the ECM but couldn't replace it without being sure.

#21 ·
I have a 2010 Malibu LTZ with Service ESC and Traction Control Service indicator on. There are no check engine lights. The power steering is not working. On 12/30/2014, I spent $480 at the Chevy dealership for this same issue. The symptom at the times states "ESC comes on and off". The repair states "Found Steering Control Module Intermittent Short, Removed and Repropgrammed Steering Module". Concern corrected. Bill Code C.
There is a GM part number listed as 22837369 and an internet search shows it as the GM steering column motor.
Why would this be happening again after 5 months? Are they any other things associated with this to cause the steering issues?
I am frustrated with the amount of repairs I've had to do on my recent chevrolet vehicles.
If anyone can help me understand why this is happening then please help.

#22 ·
My problem lasted for 3 years. Dealership could never get it to duplicate. Of course they won't because problem resolves itself and holds no codes. One week to 6 months later, BAM, problem again. My solution? I traded. Told dealership to scrap the car, that I didn't want someone else to inherit the problem.

#23 ·
I am having the same issue with my 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid. It started over a year ago. The front right wheel seemed to lock up in July, 2014. The Recall 13036 came out in August and the car was taken to my local Chevrolet dealer in September 2014 and the harness was replaced.I drove it off the lot, drove it 10 miles and started getting all the same error messages . The dealer could not replicate the problem when I took it back. After that, I had my local mechanic look at it because it happened just as I was near his shop.He said I had 17 codes, but when he went back they had cleared themselves. I took it back to my local Chevrolet and he saw a power steering extended warrant on my car's VIN, so did that work. I was still having problems with SERVICE ESC, TSC OFF, lose of power steering, all gauges going to zero, except the battery assist gauge on the dash.

He suggested I take the car to a larger Chevrolet dealer that would have a certified hybrid mechanic. I left my car with a dealer in San Antonio for 3 days, they could not replicate the problem.
Yesterday evening, I hit a bump, lost my power steering, all the gauges bounced around, all TSC warning codes came on. I have learned to keep driving, eventually everything will go back off. It seems to happen more often in cold,damp weather, but I can hit a bump anytime and may have that problem. I have always thought it was a ground issue around the front right wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.