Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

How-To: Disassemble the shift knob.

19K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
Recently I picked up a leather shift knob for my Aura. The crhome parts has some sort of pitting and corrosion on them. So I figured out how to disassemble the various parts on the knob and swap them.

Getting the knob off is a little different on the Malibu as it is on the Aura. Put the key in, foot on the brake and shift the shifter all the way back. Pull the boot downward, then using a phillips screwdriver, remove the screw and slide the knob up and off.

The silver painted cover is slip fitted with a metal snap, the chrome ring around the chrome button and chrome bottom piece both just slip fitted on and only held in place with friction. The chrome cap for the push button on the side of the knob snaps in place. Its a little tricky getting it off, but not too difficult to remove.

On with the pics.

See less See more
#2 ·
Dude, with all that takin' apart and puttin' back together we need to get you a 'Bu to work on! :)

Appreciate the intelligent pictures, too.

#3 · (Edited)
So here's a question. That chrome ring right at the bottom of the shift knob, that's just snapped on and that helps hold the silver backing plate on? I want to try this but I'm scared of breaking something because I needed to do something else first and then being completely SOL. But all I should have to do is just pry it off with a screwdriver?

**EDIT** I figured it out, and I was right. You just take a screwdriver and pry off the lower chrome ring and then you can remove the plastic silver plate. The shift button in front pops out along with the manual mode button. It does take some doing but there's nothing to break that I could see. So I even got the rubber skin off....time to leather that sucker! :)

#5 ·
Push the front of it down and you'll see the 2 screws that fasten the bottom of the center stack's trim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.