Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2006 Malibu Loss of Power

11K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Chevrolet Customer Svc 
#1 · (Edited)
My Girl was driving her 2006 Malibu at about 30 MPH. When she stepped on the gas the car would not go faster and seemed as if it was in neutral. She pulled off to the side of the road and turned the car off. She started the car again and tried to put the car in gear, but the brake pedal was difficult to push down as well as very difficult to get in gear. When she finally got it in gear she would push on the gas and the car would not move. There was no CEL, but I ran the scanner anyways and nothing came up. Since then she has been able to drive the car normally sometimes but others it is again difficult to put the car in gear and the car has no power. When the car is in park it revs up just fine. No misses or anything like that.

Any ideas as to what this could be??? Any help would be great.

#3 ·
If it is due for that stuff, sure but if there aren't any codes you might need to look elsewhere.......at a brake sticking or a CV joint freezing up or a transmission problem.
Does that year have a dip-stick for the tranny ??
Low transmission fluid could cause it.

I think it is NOT a good idea to drive it like that.
If a brake is dragging, it could overheat and catch fire.......and maybe damage the transmission in the mean time.
And if the fluid is low, that could damage the tranny too.

#4 ·
Dear sjack86,

Is this the first time that she has experienced this type of issue? What is the current mileage on her vehicle. I am gathering more information to exhaust my resources.

Has she contacted the local Chevrolet dealership about this? If it is diagnosed as something that is going on with the power train, then it might be covered under the 5 year or 100,000 mile warranty but the dealership is going to be the best avenue for this information.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.