Oil filter wrench/pliers
jack and stands/ramps (I used ramps)

Oil:
5.5 quarts

Filter numbers:
A/C Delco PF48
Mobile 1 M1113

Draining Oil:
Under the car on the passenger side you'll find the oil plug on the back side of the oil pan. Use the 15mm wrench.

Oil filter:
Under the hood remove the intake tube that runs from the airbox (on the passenger side) to the intake on the drivers side. To remove the tube you need to loosen the clamps on either end of the tube (using screw driver). Next unplug the PCV valve on the driver side on the tube.Then remove the bolt holding it on the driver side just above the radiator using the 10mm socket. After the tube is removed the filter is much more accessible then from underneath and not near as messy. Also since the filter is screwed on at an angle you can't pre-fill it with oil. I oiled the O-ring and put about 1/4 the oil filter capacity and put it on hand tight.

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Oil Change - 3.6L, V6

I wish I knew how to change my oil, but my dealer charges me $5 labor do do an oil change when I bring my own oil and filter in. For $5 I just can't be bothered to climb under the car and get dirty.
If that's all it cost I'd do the same thing but my wife drives 120 miles a day so I change oil every 2 months (at 5,000 miles) and we live about 15 miles from the closest dealership and about 30 from the closest one I'd trust with my car.

Pizza man,
Thanks for adding this section. I think it will be very helpful.

#10 · (Edited)

good info thanks. Cant wait to change to the Mobil 1. Is it really that bad to just take the oil filter out the bottom?
I took the oil filter off from the bottom so it's possible but much much easier from the top.

It was my first time removing the intake tube and it took me about 2 minutes.

#15 ·

I have a question...and don't call me stupid. I have been changing oil on my vehicles for years, (self taught) but I have never pre-filled the oil filter. Is this something that should be done and what are the benefits? Do you just pour some fresh oil in the center part of the filter before oiling the seal and attaching it? Just wondering...thanks for the intake tube info, have not changed oil in the Bu yet...I used the the dealers first free change before I switch to synthetic.

#19 ·

I changed the oil in my 2009 2LT this evening (wanted to get Mobil 1 in it) and did something that others might find useful.

As you remove the oil filter you will have oil dripping off that little tab beneath the filter and it will splash in the catch pan. To prevent this I simply wrapped a ziplock freezer bag around the filter and tab and turned the filter inside the bag. The oil that drained out went directly into the bag as did the filter when it came off.

Hope this helps.

Dan

#20 ·

I changed the oil in my 2009 2LT this evening (wanted to get Mobil 1 in it) and did something that others might find useful.

As you remove the oil filter you will have oil dripping off that little tab beneath the filter and it will splash in the catch pan. To prevent this I simply wrapped a ziplock freezer bag around the filter and tab and turned the filter inside the bag. The oil that drained out went directly into the bag as did the filter when it came off.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Great idea, I hadn't thought of that. In fact I'm changing the oil tomorrow, I'll try it out.

#21 ·

Ok, so I did my first oil change on the new BU today, switched to Mobil 1. Removing the intake tube made it a breeze...way easier than on my old 3.4 L.

I have a question though. I cannot get the Oil Life System to Reset. I read the manual about 50 times. Go to the oil life on the DIC, press the enter button for about 1 second until you get an "ACKNOWLEDGED" display, DIC is now reset...WHAT???

I did this like 20 times. Either I am retarded, or something is wrong with the DIC. It resets everything fine when I get gas. I thought this should be a breeze as some of my other vehicles had to have a button pushed in the fuse box or "fully depress the gas peddle 3 times in 5 seconds" kind of crap to reset the computer.

On the Bu, just hit return...not working for me.

Any ideas? :confused::mad::confused:

#62 · (Edited by Moderator)

I have a question though. I cannot get the Oil Life System to Reset. I read the manual about 50 times. Go to the oil life on the DIC, press the enter button for about 1 second until you get an "ACKNOWLEDGED" display, DIC is now reset...WHAT???
the easiest way to reset the oil life monitor system is to turn the ignition to ON, but do not strart the engine

within 5 seconds, floor the gas pedal and release, doing this three times within the 5 seconds

all there is too it

works on my 2003 Z06, 2004 Silverado, and 2009 Malibu

#22 ·

you have to hold it down, it will take a few seconds, it should work, and being on an 08 or 09 then you can go through the dic menus then select oil life, and then when it says the percentage, just hold down the reset button, should reset. on the older ones, you did it through the radio.

#24 ·

Yup. I went through exactly the same thing you did with my first oil change, nighthawk-24. It took pulling out the manual to figure out what I was doing wrong. All the other DIC / OLS equipped GM's I've had worked just like resetting the AVG MPG / trip settings. This is the first that takes a special step to reset. No biggie, but I much appreciated the standardization on the others.

#27 ·

Yup. I went through exactly the same thing you did with my first oil change, nighthawk-24. It took pulling out the manual to figure out what I was doing wrong. All the other DIC / OLS equipped GM's I've had worked just like resetting the AVG MPG / trip settings. This is the first that takes a special step to reset. No biggie, but I much appreciated the standardization on the others.

my 05' GTO was a bigger PITA as far as resetting .. had to press the gas pedal like 3 times upon turning the ignition key to the right spot within 5 seconds! why does GM make this difficult ?

#25 · (Edited)

I also found the instructions on reseting the oil life indicator confusing :confused:. The reset instructions say to display OIL LIFE RESET on the DIC, but don't say how do get to that display. Those instructions are found in the DIC Personalization Section of the manual. After reading the other posts on this thread I was able to do it. I guess if all else fails read the whole manual :).

#28 ·

Use the quick oil drain valve to get rid of a wrench from your preparation list for oil changes. This small ball valve is really useful especially if you often change the oil yourself. Save your time. I change my oil at least three times a year. I found and bought one from qwikvalve.com. Cheers,

Oil change on a 2008 Malibu 3.6 v6

Tools:
15mm wrench
10mm socket
Flat head screw driver
Oil filter wrench/pliers
jack and stands/ramps (I used ramps)

Oil:
5.5 quarts

Filter numbers:
A/C Delco PF48
Mobile 1 M1113

Draining Oil:
Under the car on the passenger side you'll find the oil plug on the back side of the oil pan. Use the 15mm wrench.

#29 ·

Where do you guys get your filters from? Dealer? Internet? My dealer wants about $10 / filter, which is way too much I think.

I noticed Autozone has a PF48 s listed. I can't seem to tell what the difference is with the pf48 and the pf48s, I can only imagine where it is made, which may also affect the filter media inside the filter....

#31 ·

I thought I was safe buying just one 5 qt bottle for the 3.6. All my previous cars were under 5 qts. :mad:
This is my second car with a 5.5 quart capacity. The first one was a 99 Olds Intrigue. Athough that car leaked oil starting right after the warrantee expired so I just dumped in the 6 quarts. Then I could go 2000 miles till the first oil top off.

#32 ·

I just completed my Malibu's first oil change. It has 1450 miles on it. I did remove the filter from the bottom. The only problem that I saw with going at it from the bottom is that you have to be careful not to damage the wire leading to the oxygen sensor for the front bank of cylinders. I also had to make sure that I wiped the spilled oil off the front bank header pipe. I noticed that as soon as the filter seal released contact from the block oil started leaking out and dripped on the pipe.

I also noticed that the 3.6 has two catalytic converters. One for each bank of cylinders.

#35 ·

I just completed my Malibu's first oil change. It has 1450 miles on it.
I've thought long and hard about this, and Chevy doesn't have a break in period, they just say follow the oil life monitor.

While I know that it doesn't hurt changing it early, I wouldn't mind saving the money, and if GM is going to warranty it, then I have no issue with going by it.

Just my 2 cents.

#33 ·

I have thge 3.6 and 2 oil changes in I've noticed that 5.5 quarts of oil is too much. I filled it up with 5 and when I check the oil level it's just a tad bit over the max. I warm the car up and let it drain for about 5-10 min, so I assume most of the old oil is out.

#34 ·

I have thge 3.6 and 2 oil changes in I've noticed that 5.5 quarts of oil is too much. I filled it up with 5 and when I check the oil level it's just a tad bit over the max. I warm the car up and let it drain for about 5-10 min, so I assume most of the old oil is out.
When you check the oil, do you start the car first? If you don't prefill the oil filter, some of the oil has to flow into the filter, which is why 5.5 quarts may seem like too much. I wouldn't short fill it, but if you do I'd make sure and keep a close eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.