Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Passive door locks

29K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Chevy Fan 
#1 ·
Hi, new to the forum. Long post, sorry. Took delivery of my 2013 Malibu LTZ a couple days ago. Per the owners manual it appears the doors should lock automatically when you exit the vehicle if the car is equiped with "keyless access system" This feature is not working. Page 5-35 indicates this feature can be turned on or off in the config menu. I do not see this option in config. Am I missing something? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Per the manual page 2-5; Passive Locking If the vehicle has the keyless access system, this feature allows you to select whether the doors automatically lock during normal vehicle exit. When the vehicle is turned off and all doors are closed, the vehicle will determine how many RKE transmitters remain inside the vehicle. If at least one RKE transmitter has been removed from the interior of the vehicle, the doors will lock after eight seconds. Temporarily disable the locking feature by pressing and holding (unlock)on the center stack for several seconds with a door open. Passive locking will then remain disabled until (lock) is pressed, or until the
vehicle is turned on. To customize whether the doors automatically lock when you exit the vehicle, see “Remote Locking, Unlocking, Starting” under Vehicle Personalization on page 5‑35

Per page 5-39 Relock Remote Door When on, the doors will automatically lock after a period of time if the vehicle is not entered or exited. Press TUNE/MENU when Relock Remote Door is highlighted. Turn the TUNE/MENU knob to select On or Off. Press TUNE/MENU to confirm and go back to the last menu.

See less See more
#2 ·
Okay, I'm flying a bit blind here, but let's see if we can't figure this out. At what point does your car vary from the owners manual, or the instructions I have below? If you go to the menu for Remote Locking, Unlocking, Starting, is that where you don't have the Passive door unlock or the Passive door lock selections? If so, look down in the instructions I have and note the word in bold letters.

Now, at this point it would be nice to have a VIN, PM me the VIN if you want, don't put it on the public forum. I'm a GM dealer tech and I can see your cars option content through the VIN. If that doesn't work for you, take a look at the Service Parts ID label on your car. Should be on the spare tire cover or in the glovebox. Gray label with a bunch of 3 digit codes on it. Look at the A** codes. Do you have ATS, ATG or AF8? Then, do you have BTM? I think you need ATS for what you want to do, I'm not sure if you need BTM or if BTM is across the board for North American Gen 8. I'm all but absolutely positive about the ATS code though. If you have ATS, you have 6 keyless entry antennas, where if you don't have ATS, you have one antenna. With one antenna, the car either sees the transmitter or it doesn't. With 6 antennas, the car not only sees the transmitter, it knows where it is in relation to the car, inside or outside the car and from which direction you are coming. Just in case anyone wants to know where the 6 antennas are, they are as follows, one in each front door exterior handle, one in the rear fascia, one in the trunk, one in the center console rear and one in the glove box. Let's start there and see how you make out with this info.

Entering the Personalization Menus

1. Press CONFIG to access the Configuration Settings menu.

2. Turn the TUNE/MENU knob to highlight Vehicle Settings.

3. Press TUNE/MENU to select the Vehicle Settings menu.

The following list of menu items will be available:

• Climate and Air Quality
• Comfort and Convenience
• Language
• Lighting
• Power Door Locks
• Remote Locking, Unlocking, Starting
• Return to Factory Settings

Turn the TUNE/MENU knob to highlight the menu. Press TUNE/MENU to select it. Each of the menus is detailed in the following information.

Remote Locking, Unlocking, Starting

Select Remote Locking, Unlocking, Starting and the following may be displayed:
• Unlock Feedback (Lights)
• Locking Feedback
• Door Unlock Options
• Memory Remote Recall
• Remote Left in Vehicle Reminder
• Relock Remote Door
• Passive Door Unlock
• Passive Door Lock

Unlock Feedback (Lights)

When on, the exterior lamps will flash when unlocking the vehicle with the RKE transmitter.

Press TUNE/MENU when Unlock Feedback (Lights) is highlighted. Turn the TUNE/MENU knob to select On or Off. Press TUNE/MENU to confirm and go back to the last menu.

Locking Feedback

This allows selection of what type of feedback is given when locking the vehicle with the RKE transmitter.

Press TUNE/MENU when Locking Feedback is highlighted. Turn the TUNE/MENU knob to select Lights and Horn, Lights Only, Horn Only, or Off. Press TUNE/MENU to confirm and go back to the last menu.

Door Unlock Options

This allows selection of which doors will unlock when pressing on the RKE transmitter.

Press TUNE/MENU when Door Unlock Options is highlighted. Turn the TUNE/MENU knob to select All Doors or Driver Door Only. When set to Driver Door Only, the driver door will unlock the first time is pressed and all doors will unlock when is pressed a second time. When set to All Doors, all of the doors will unlock at the first press of . Press TUNE/MENU to confirm and go back to the last menu.

Memory Remote Recall

This allows the Memory Remote Recall feature to be turned on or off.

When on, this feature will recall the current driver's last seat and outside mirror positions upon unlocking the driver door with the RKE transmitter, and opening that door. The current driver is identified when the RKE transmitter is used to unlock the driver door. If keyless access equipped, the recall will occur upon opening the driver door. See “Recalling RKE Memory Positions” under Memory Seats .

Press TUNE/MENU when Memory Remote Recall is highlighted. Turn the TUNE/MENU knob to select On or Off. Press TUNE/MENU to confirm and go back to the last menu.

Remote Left in Vehicle Reminder

This allows the Remote Left in Vehicle Reminder feature to be turned on or off. If on, the horn will chirp if a remote is left in the vehicle.

Press TUNE/MENU when Remote Left in Vehicle Reminder is highlighted. Turn the TUNE/MENU knob to select On or Off. Press TUNE/MENU to confirm and go back to the last menu.

Relock Remote Door

When on, the doors will automatically lock after a period of time if the vehicle is not entered or exited.

Press TUNE/MENU when Relock Remote Door is highlighted. Turn the TUNE/MENU knob to select On or Off. Press TUNE/MENU to confirm and go back to the last menu.

Passive Door Unlock

This allows selection of which doors are unlocked by pressing the button on the outside door handle.

Press TUNE/MENU when Passive Door Unlock is highlighted. Turn the TUNE/MENU knob to select Off, On, or On with Active Horn Chirp. Press TUNE/MENU to confirm and go back to the last menu.

Passive Door Lock

This allows selection of which doors are locked by pressing the button on the outside door handle.

Press TUNE/MENU when Passive Door Lock is highlighted. Turn the TUNE/MENU knob to select All Doors or Driver Door. Press TUNE/MENU to confirm and go back to the last menu.

#3 · (Edited)
Rodents, thanks for your response. Option content is listed below. I assumed since my car has the EZ key passive entry option it would lock as you walk away from the car. Per the manual page 2-5; Passive Locking If the vehicle has the keyless access system, this feature allows you to select whether the doors automatically lock during normal vehicle exit. My car varies from the manual in that I do not see the Relock Remote Door option in the menu that is listed on Per page 5-39 which I assume allows you to turn on/off this feature. "When on, the doors will automatically lock after a period of time if the vehicle is not entered or exited. Press TUNE/MENU when Relock Remote Door is highlighted. Turn the TUNE/MENU knob to select On or Off. Press TUNE/MENU to confirm and go back to the last menu"

01B - COLOR SEAT LT NEUTRALM
1CW - COLOR DR PANEL EBONY/CADILLAC COCOA

1LZ - 1LZ PACKAGE
1SZ - OPTION PACKAGE DISCOUNT

2C9 - DOOR MOLDING
4BO - COCOA

6AD - COMPONENT FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (6AD)
7AD - COMPONENT FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (7AD)

8AA - COMPONENT RR LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (8AA)
9AA - COMPONENT RR LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (9AA)

A45 - DRIVER MEMORY SEATS & MIRRORS
A51 - FRONT BUCKET SEATS

A69 - SEAT BELT TENSIONER, FRONT
A70 - SEAT BELT TENSIONER, FRONT

A90 - TRUNK RELEASE, POWER
AAH - RESTRAINT KNEE, INFLATABLE, LH

AAJ - RESTRAINT KNEE, INFLATABLE, RH
AAZ - LOCK CONTROL SIDE DOOR, VEHICLE ACCELERATION ACTIVATED

AE2 - REAR DOOR LOCKOUT SYSTEM
AED - WINDOW, POWER WITH FRONT PASSENGER EXPRESS DOWN

AEQ - POWER WINDOWS, REAR EXPRESS DOWN
AFL - COCOA FASHION TRIM

AG1 - PWR SEAT ADJUSTER, DRIVER
AG2 - SEAT ADJUSTER FRONT PASSENGER POWER

AJC - HEAD RESTRAINTS, 2 WAY ADJUSTABLE
AKK - WINDSHIELD, LAMINATED GLASS

AKP - GLASS, TINTED
AKX - WINDSHIELD TYPE SOLAR ABSORB

AL0 - AIRBAG SENSING SYSTEM, PASSENGER
AP9 - CONVENIENCE NET, TRUNK

APG - POWER LUMBAR, DRIVER 4-WAY LUMBAR
APH - CONTROL SEAT, POWER LUMBAR, RH

ASV - HUMIDITY/WINDSHIELD TEMP SENSOR
ATH - EZ KEY PASSIVE ENTRY SYSTEM

AXG - POWER WINDOW W/ EXPRESS DRIVER UP/DOWN
AXJ - VEHICLE TYPE PASSENGER CAR

AYF - AIRBAGS, DRIVER & PASSENGER FRONTAL AND KNEE FRT/OTBRD RR - HEAD CURTAIN AND SIDE
B34 - FLOOR MATS, FRONT

B35 - FLOOR MATS, REAR
B7Y - PLATE DOOR SILL COVER, COVER, CHROME

BTM - KEYLESS START
BTT - PANIC ALARM BUTTON

BTV - REMOTE VEHICLE START
CF5 - POWER SUNROOF

CJ2 - AIR CONDITIONING, DUAL ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL
D7A - SPEEDOMETER GEAR

DA1 - ARMREST, REAR CENTER W/ REAR SEAT PASS THRU, CUPHOLDERS
DD8 - INSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR, AUTO DIMMING

DE1 - SUNSHADE RR WINDOW
DH6 - DRIVER VISOR MIRROR-LIGHTED

DK9 - MIRRORS, OUTSIDE HEATED POWER ADJUSTABLE, TURN SIGNAL INDICATORS, BODY COLOR
DP6 - MIRROR PROV HOUSING PAINTED

EA1 - FRONT SEAT BACK POCKET LH
EA2 - FRONT SEAT BACK POCKET RH

EBF - SEAT TRIM, LEATHER APPOINTED
EF7 - COUNTRY CODE U.S.A.

FAI - PLANT CODE FAIRFAX, KS, USA
FE9 - 50-STATE EMISSIONS

FHO - VEHICLE FUEL GASOLINE
FJD - DOOR TRIM

FX3 - STABILITRAK-STABILITY CONTROL SYSTEM W/ TRACTION CONTROL
FXK - RATIO TRANSAXLE FINAL DRIVE 2.89

GBN - WHITE DIAMOND TRICOAT
GNA - SUSPENSION, FRONT

GNC - SUSPENSION, REAR 4 LINK
I13 - ENGINEERING MODEL YEAR

J60 - ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM, 4 WHEEL DISC
J71 - BRAKE, PARKING

JJ2 - BRAKE LINING
K34 - CRUISE CONTROL

KA1 - DRIVER & FRONT PASSENGER HEATED SEATS
KB5 - BRAKING CONTROL, ECM GRADE

KB7 - TAPSHIFT MANUAL SHIFT CONTROL
KD4 - POWER OUTLET, FRONT CONSOLE 12 VOLT

KG8 - GENERATOR 130 AMP
KI6 - POWER OUTLET, 120 VOLT

KPA - FRONT CONSOLE
LCV - ENGINE, ECOTEC 2.5L DOHC W/ VARIABLE VALVE TIMING

LHD - LEFT HAND DRIVE
MAH - MARKETING AREA US, PUERTO RICO/ USVI

MDE - MOLDINGS, BRIGHT WINDOW SURROUND
MH8 - TRANSMISSION, 6 SPD AUTOMATIC

MM1 - TRANSMISSION, 6-SPD AUTOMATIC
N34 - LEATHER WRAP STEERING WHEEL

N37 - STEERING COLUMN, TILT AND TELESCOPIC
NCG - REAR DOOR LOCKS, POWER, CHILD SECURITY

NJ1 - POWER STEERING, ELECTRIC
NT7 - FEDERAL EMISSION SYST TIER 2

NWO - EXHAUST, DUAL STAINLESS-STEEL
P77 - TIRE, COMPACT SPARE

PCU - ELECTRONICS & ENTERTAINMENT PKG * POWER SUNROOF * AUDIO SYSTEM, PIONEER PREMIUM 9-SPEAKER, 250 WATT AMPLIFIER * REAR VISION CAMERA SYSTEM * POWER OUTLET, 120 VOLT * UNIVERSAL HOME REMOTE
PCX - LTZ PREMIUM PACKAGE: * HEADLAMPS, HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE, LAMP CONTROL * KEYLESS PUSH-BUTTON START * EZ KEY PASSIVE ENTRY SYSTEM * MEMORY SETTINGS, DRIVER SEAT, OUTSIDE MIRRORS

PCY - ADVANCED SAFETY PACKAGE: * FORWARD COLLISION ALERT * LANE DEPARTURE WARNING
PZJ - WHEELS, 18" ALUMINUM

QGK - TIRES, ALL SEASON BLACKWALL
R9N - CONTROL SALES ITEM NO. 89

ROO - BARS VOMS BAILMENT
SLM - SALES PROCESSING STOCK ORDER

T3U - FRONT FOG LAMPS
T4F - HEADLAMPS, HIGH ÉINTENSITY DISCHARGE, LAMP CONTROL

T61 - DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS
T83 - HEADLAMPS CONTROL AUTOMATIC ON-OFF

TB8 - HEADLAMPS CONTROL RH RULE OF THE ROAD
TM7 - BATTERY, RUNDOWN PROTECTION

TSQ - BLUE AMBIENT LIGHTING
U08 - HORN DUAL ELECTRIC

U2K - XM RADIO + SERVICE SUBSCRIPTION SOLD SEPARATELYBY SIRIUSXFM AFTER 3 MTHS
U77 - ANTENNA, ROOF MOUNTED

U80 - COMPASS DISPLAY
UDD - DISPLAY, MULTI-COLOR DRIVER INSTRUMENT INFO ENHANCED

UDY - AUDIO SYSTEM FEATURE, 7" COLOR TOUCH SCREEN
UE1 - 6 MTHS ONSTAR DIRECTIONS AND CONNECTIONS WITH AUTOMATIC CRASH RESPONSE & TURN-BY-TURN NAVIGATION (ASK DEALER ABOUT GEOGRAPHIC COVERAGE)

UEU - FORWARD COLLISION ALERT
UFL - LANE DEPARTURE WARNING

UFU - COLOR TOUCH RADIO W/ 7" SCREEN SCREEN, CD/MP3 PLAYER, AUX INPUT AND USB PORT
UG1 - UNIVERSAL HOME REMOTE

UH1 - SEAT BELT WARNING
UJM - TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SYSTEM (EXCL SPARE TIRE)

UMN - SPEEDOMETER
UP9 - CHEVROLET MYLINK TOUCH

UQA - AUDIO SYSTEM, PREMIUM 9-SPEAKER
USR - USB PORT

UTJ - CONTENT THEFT ALARM, THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM
UVC - REAR VISION CAMERA SYSTEM

V33 - TOOL KIT
V8D - VEHICLE STATEMENT US

VK3 - FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET
VRG - VAA/COMPONENT REL COCKPIT

VRH - VAA/COMPONENT REL STEERING COLUMN
VRK - VAA/COMPONENT REL ROOF TRIM

VRL - VAA/COMPONENT REL FRONT HORIZONTAL SUSPENSION
VRM - VAA/COMPONENT REL FRONT VERTICAL SUSPENSION

VRN - VAA/COMPONENT REL REAR SUSPENSION
VRR - VAA/COMPONENT REL TIRES AND WHEELS

VY7 - LEATHER TRIMMED SHIFT LEVER
VZD - MODEL YEAR IDENTIFIER

W1Y - STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS
WGA - RADIO EQUIPMENT

XL7 - FREQUENCY RATING 315 MH

#4 ·
Hmmm. You have BTM and ATH, but not ATS, and ATS and ATH are different somehow. Looks like you only have 3 antennas, one in each front door and one in the rear fascia. SI is very poor at showing the difference between the two RPO's ATH and ATS. If someone here has RPO ATS, can you do what the OP cannot for passive locking? Without a car to physically look at, I'm sorry to say, just looking at SI, I can't offer a better explanation. There appears to be several ways to option the car and not a good way to determine what does what for each RPO combination. BTM evidently is available with or without ATH/ATS. I'm assuming you can't passive lock the doors without ATS.

I'll almost guarantee you it's not possible to make this work either. I had quite the lesson on why you can't reconfigure vehicles like the 'good old days' anymore. It's not to say that technically it can't be made to work but, that by making one function possible that wasn't originally optioned on the car, you may inadvertantly disable other functions, and in doing so the tech making the modifications could open themselves up to a liability issue.

#6 ·
Yeah, what's even better is we have Service Information, straight from GM, and it's loaded with errors. Getting them fixed is not easy, even our technical assistance guys tell us that updating SI is tough. Shouldn't be, but it is. Makes it damn tough to fix a customers car with the wrong info. Try this. Lower your expectations to just above non-existant, then cut that in half and you should feel better soon.:rolleyes: High expectations, so 20th century.:D

#7 ·
Rodents,
GM has indicated they are going to write a special program for my car to address this issue. Basically update / reprogram the BCM software so the vehicle operates per the owners manual. My question is if the BCM ever has to replaced will the special software follow the vehicle based on the VIN. In other words is this software update being specifically written for this car going to be lost of the BCM is ever replaced?

#12 ·
I wonder if they'll make that a feature for all future buyers. Nice to see you were treated so well!

#14 ·
Well it has been just a little over a week since my car was reprogrammed. I could not be happier with the results. There are no ill effects with the vehicle, everything is working in harmony. There were no accidental disabling of any of the other features that may have occured as a result of the custom program. SO NICE to get out of the vehicle and have the doors lock automatically as you walk away. Thank you GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.