Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil change question: 5.5 quarts in the 3.6L V6

33K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  RalphP 
#1 ·
What do you do when you go to the oil change places that typically put up to 5 quarts in. I don't want to be running 1/2 quart low. Do you pay extra for the last 1/2 quart or what? How much does that typically cost? Maybe bring along an extra quart of oil and put in the extra 1/2 quart in yourself?

Just curious....

#2 ·
Actually, if you're above the "ADD" point, being "low" isn't a problem, and may be beneficial - since you will reduce windage and drag inside the oil pan, helping the power and economy of the motor (a very, VERY minor bit, but still ... )

But if it bothers you that much, do your own oil and filter change, and save money / use better oil and filter / both!

RwP

#4 ·
The IOC (instant oil change) shops are supposed to put your car up on the computer and their database is supposed to tell them exactly how many quarts to fill. So if it's 5.5 they'll pump in 5.5 since they use a bulk barrel and a hose to dispense it, not bottles.

Once the oil has been changed, if you're concerned, pull out into their parking lot on a level place, turn off the engine and let it set several minutes, maybe even 10 or so. This will ensure the oil in the top has drained down. If the engine is warmed up it'll drain more completely.

Then pull the dipstick, wipe it, insert it, and pull it out again. Check for proper level.

#5 ·
I never use the bulk oil from the barrel. I always get the full synthetic - which comes from bottles.

As far as changing it myself - I used to do that but long ago decided paying the extra to have someone do it for me was well worth the money.

#8 ·
I work at an oil change place, like DD said, we enter each car by license plate into our computer, it pulls up the service history, last oil used and previous mileage. We offer our bulk oil from the tanks, which has 5-20, 5-30, 10-30, Multi ATF, Mobil-1 5-30, and Delo 15-40. If a guest prefers something else we have many others in bottles. And as far as our service goes, we fill the crankcase with the preferred oil, have the guest start the engine and we check the oil pressure gauge if it has one and then we turn it off, get on our knees and do what we call an excellence check with the downstairs lube tech, the excellence check is what we do to make sure the oil pan drain plug is on and tight, new seal if required. After that we show the guest the post service oil level before they leave.

#9 ·
If I knew of an IOC shop that rose to that level of service I'd freqeunt them for every oil change. Thanks for the inside reveal, and with that level of service keep up the good job!

#11 · (Edited)
The IOC's I used in California for 20 years had me drive in, exit the vehicle, then drive out.

Here in Kentucky I've used several; same pattern: Drove inside, exited, drove out. Heck, I even accompanied my sister and they had us both stay in the car!

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
No, it's location-specific. And applies to certain insurance companies in certain states, whereas in other locations it doesn't.

There's two in my area that won't let me drive my car in, but the others prefer I drive it in.

Funny, both claim insurance reasons :confused:

(In the mean time, I'm doing my own. It doesn't take much "But this filter won't fit this car!" when IT'S THE ONE YOU PULLED OFF THE CAR to get me to do it myself.)

RwP

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.