Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuel gauge turned too far away?

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  disarm 
#1 ·
last week i changed my battery. my girlfriend was in the car and turned the key to the on position for about 30 sec(not sure why we did that, i think i have read somewhere it made the computer relearn or.. something like that) anyway, ever since.. my fuel gauge made a 360 and it's now stuck under the low limiter's pin. each time i start, the gauge start at the pin and go down about half a tank toward the temp gauge. But it goes back to the pin and stay there for the rest of the ride. From looking at it i think the past owner got the same trouble since there's evidence of someone forcing the needle back to his place using a screwdriver or something like that.. it's all scratched up on the cluster.

Is the only option opening the cluster and forcing it back? Isn't there anyway way to put a resistance on a wire to make it go backwards 360? any help would be great :) thanks in advance

Malibu 98 LS 156kms

#2 ·
A wire (unbent large paper clip) through the hole for the reset button worked for me. Although a magnet can clearly move the needle, in my case (1998) the gas gauge needle was blocked by the temp gauge needle and the magnet was just too week to push past. However, a bent paper clip pushed the needle past the temp gauge needle with ease. No significant force needed as there was enough play for one needle to slip over the other. As soon as you push the needle far enough, it's own magnets flip it around into place.

This was much easier than I expected. Took me about two minutes though I spent a few minutes with the magnets before that.

Thanks.
i will try that and give you more info later :)

#3 ·
You might also try a preventative measure if it does it again. Take the cluster out, remove the front cover, then install a small stop pin to keep it from going farther than it should. I know it sounds simple but it's probably not as easy as these words. Maybe a short piece of paper clip heated up enough to melt through the plastic face and then allowed to cool into place???

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.