Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow chains for LTZ

18K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Malibu Glow 
#1 ·
I am moving to Seattle from the midwest and was planning on driving out there. Here is my huge problem, I have a 2008 LTZ, and the owners manual says that I can't use snow chains at all. Several states have chain laws so I have no idea how the heck I will get out there at all if I can't attach chains to my tires.

Does anyone know of any solutions? I'd really rather not buy new tires for my car and don't want to ship it either.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Well, you're not supposed to use chains, but I think you still can. You run the risk of damaging your car or wheel due to lack of clearance. In your situation, I would carry chains and hope you don't have to use them. If you do have to use them, drive extremely slow. Sorry!

#4 · (Edited)
Buy some steel rims and snow tires. I got mine from the tirerack for $500. The link from above will cost you $300.
Personally I'd rather have dedicated tires than an add-on system.

Edit: Nevermind, I notice that you're moving to seattle. Kind of pointless to buy tires for a one time trip.

#6 ·
I only have 14,000 miles on the tires. The problem is with the chain laws. In some places, they won't let you drive at all if you don't at least have the chains in your car. And driving without using them can result in a $250-$750 fine depending on the state and driving conditions.

#12 ·
Well since there are only two sizes of the snoclaws it seems they would be versatile for several sizes. Notice that for some 18" tires it calls for model 2 whereas other 18" tires call for model 3. I'd seem to think model 2 would work on those tires on your car, in fact the site even mentions if you don't see your tire size to call them.

#10 ·
funny here in Canada we don't use chains for the most part winter tires and steal rims are all you need... I am surprised their are laws requiring you to have chains... any ways I would just look into the weather when you plan on moving driving across the country epically in the United States should only take you 2 and half days to 3 days depending on your driving habits.

#11 ·
Western states along the Rockies have chain laws for one reason, when the snow storms come in they can really dump a good amount of snow or ice making traveling on the roads more treacherous. And with many roads that wind their way through the mountains you are also on some pretty good grades. You see it more with large trucks that have to chain up during the winter time when there's been over an inch of snow.
I'm glad I've never had to deal with chaining driving over the road since I've never gone as far west as the Rockies, it's a real PIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.