Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallic Black vs. Jet Black Malibu

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the metallic black paint is somehow better than regular jet black? Does it last longer or protect the car better, for example, against sunlight, etc? I live in Vegas and those 100 degree days (not to mention sand) can be harsh on a paint job, especially black. I like the jet black better but I'm just wondering about the difference. Any suggestions on a protective wax or maintenance techniques?

#2 ·
Newer paint jobs are base color covered by a clear coat, or in the case of mine, a tintcoat. They last much longer than the old way of spraying just the color.

I had an '09 BGM - black granite metallic - and our summers with temps above 90* (with tinted windows) never caused any issues that I could detect.

My '11 RJT doesn't seem to be any different in the summer, except I like the color way better! ;)

#3 ·
So if I get a 2012 Malibu in jet black, brand new from the factory with a factory paint job, is it safe to assume that it will have that clear coat and be as protective/durable as "black granite metallic"? I've heard that the "granite metallic" black (or other colors) are just mixed with reflective flakes. Do those flakes or "metallic look" make it more protective than the regular color, assuming they both would have a clear coat from the factory?

#4 ·
To my knowledge there is no 'better quality' paint available from the factory. The metallic particles are there for appearance, not protection. Durability in blazing heat and a black car don't go together for me but it's your car. Generally speaking, the darker the paint, the less of the rays of the sun will reflect and the surface temperature of the paint will be higher in direct sunlight. So say you take a black, a darker red, like the RJT on the Malibu, a beige or gray and a white paint job and set them out in the sun in the middle of summer side by side. After an hour in the midday sun, you might not be able to hold your hand on the black paint, the red should be some degree better, maybe not much, then the gray or beige should be cooler yet and the white, relatively speaking will be the coolest.

The clear coat doesn't make the paint maintenance free, regular washing is a must, and a good wax/sealing should be done a few times a year at least. Especially if the car sits out and in sunlight regularly, be that in Las Vegas, Nevada or Bangor, Maine. Product to use that's best is like asking what oil to use, how often to change the oil and stuff like that. I prefer the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze line. I use the #6 cleaner/wax mixed about 50/50 with the #26 yellow wax. You'll have to brush the wax out of the nooks and cranies after it dries or it looks lousy. There are products that don't leave the whitish residue, but it's still there in the nooks and cranies, just not as easy to see. Meguiar's has a #21 I think it is which is a synthetic polymer of some sort and it's supposed to last pretty long. I never used yet but am considering it. There are lots of threads here about washing and waxing and as many opinions as there are threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.