Not open for further replies.

2013 Malibu rear vision

29K views 63 replies 25 participants last post by  ken4 
#1 ·
I have read a number of reviews that say the rear visibility
on the 2013 Malibu is a potential problem for some. Can anyone comment on this

Thanks

#3 ·
Drove the loaner 2013 Malibu over to the dealers to pick up our new 2013 Malibu and yea the back is kind of hard to see behind you. Glad we got the back up camera for my wife hehe.

#4 ·
If it's any consolation I think it's pretty tough seeing out the back of the Gen. 7. But that's not what you asked, but perhaps it runs in the "family."

Welcome to the forum! We hope you'll buy one and stick around a while! :)

#5 ·
With a month of driving under my belt, I can't say that rear visibility is all that bad (although in my case I'm comparing it to a 2009 Impala and various Camaros that I have previously owned). It's certainly a relative thing, based on what you're used to. That being said, the backuP camera IS handy...

#46 ·
I traded in a '09 LS for my current '13 LS and found the '13 to be slightly worse since the rear trunk seems to sit higher. Styling of the wide rear pillars does'nt help either. I prefer the back up sensors. It's too easy to become overly dependent on the back up camera. I personally feel more confident remaining in the habit of checking all mirrors w/ an alert that something is too close for comfort when backing up. I find that the blind spot is more of an issue than backing up on these cars. Ford has inserted blind spot mirrors on all their sideview mirrors (later models) and I think that should be standard across the board. The adhesive blind spot mirrors help a bit but not as well as the built in ones from the factory.

#7 ·
Well the 2013 is gen 8 I think but I can give you a comparison of the gen 6. We had a 2006 and it seemed much easier to see out of it from the back and sides. Maybe I just need to get used to this new car though.
I drove our 2013 around about 50 miles tonight on the highway and out in the country and I have to be honest it seemed harder to see out of it plus the headlights didn't seem to be that bright on an old country road.

#8 ·
Headlights might need a slight tweak upward. Some Gen7 owners have reported lousy vision at night as well, but most (IIRC) were able to adjust the lights just a little and see quite well. My Gen7 puts plenty of light on the roadway but I've been tempted to raise them a smidgen.

Gen7 started the smaller rear window that continues to the 2013 Gen8, plus they added head restraints that obscure even more. My solution was to pull the restraints and place them in the trunk. A lot more visibility with just that move! Getting used to using mirrors was easy since I've driven pickup trucks and other cars with poor rear visibility and I almost never look over my shoulder to back up. I check my mirrors several times and back slowly, constantly looking out both side windows and all 3 mirrors.

#10 ·
I just went out to the car and looked under the hood and saw one screw that looks like it will adjust the light. Not sure if it's up/down or left/right

#11 ·
Left/Right is not adjustable. It's only up/down. Mine is so deep that I'll have to buy/borrow/steal something to raise 'em. (Yep, just tried. :()

#12 ·
Ok cool, then that screw in my pics must be the up/down screw. I'll try turning it a couple full turns clockwise tonight and see what happens.

I've never had to adjust the headlights on a brand new car from the factory before, they've always been spot on.

#13 ·
Same here, I always use my Mirrors when backing up! My wife does not like driving the Malibu at all since she is not one that is good at using just Mirrors!

There are blind spots in the Front & Rear of the Malibu, of course I am speaking about the generation 7 model!

I am sure that some dark / Tinted Windows will only make it worse.

#15 · (Edited)
Took it for a night drive again tonight and it seemed better. I guess I was just tired last night. I noticed tonight if I raised the headlights some it would be shining into peoples mirrors so I'm not going to do that. My wife said she thinks the headlights are better than the 06.
The tint we have on the car doesn't affect the view much at all. I am getting more used to just using the mirrors in this car and the wife said she is too. I remember when she had her PT Cruiser there was a view problem but we got used to it.
In my '97 Pontiac Grand Prix that I traded for my '09 'Bu that I traded for my '11 'Bu, I used a blind spot mirror. My first attempt was one of those rectangular ones that is mounted on a wedge to let you see something other than the side of the car in half of it. Too small. Then I found the Hercules Blind Spot mirror and bought two of the small ones, one for each side. Installed them underneath the mirror housing instead of above like they do on their website (link below). Discovered I didn't really need it on the right but that problem was solved when a drunk pulled into the parking spot next to me and broke the mirror off the '97. Never found the little mirror.

Transferred the little one to the '09 after trying two different round spot mirrors. Over time the silvering started to go bad at one edge on the Hercules so I bought the medium size when I got my '11 and it's the right size.

Here's a link to the Hercules website.

Another nice plus is that I now have my entire mirror back with the additional view from the Hercules. Here's what it looks like hung under the driver's mirror:

Relative position of vehicles

Front view

Outside view

With tinted window up

With tinted window down

From actual driving position

You can see how much of what car(s) is/are visible. That Taurus is in a position that would be like it was 1/2 a lane over, either entering or departing the lane next to me. That mirror has saved me a number of times! Better than any other mirror I've ever used on a passenger car. (On my truck I had a 3" x 4" hung under each mirror that assisted since I had a cab-over camper and very little view behind from the inside mirror.)

The mirrors on my '09 until I found and installed the small Hercules:

#14 ·
Took it for a night drive again tonight and it seemed better. I guess I was just tired last night. I noticed tonight if I raised the headlights some it would be shining into peoples mirrors so I'm not going to do that. My wife said she thinks the headlights are better than the 06.
The tint we have on the car doesn't affect the view much at all. I am getting more used to just using the mirrors in this car and the wife said she is too. I remember when she had her PT Cruiser there was a view problem but we got used to it.

#17 ·
Follow the link and look at their mounting. The WalMart one has the bracket exposed and the screws look like they directly clamp onto the housing. The Hercules version does not and leaves no marks.

#19 ·
This was definitely an issue with my 2010. The vision was terrible going back. I used to say if there was any feature that they should have offered, it should have been the rear view camera or an alert system. This wasn't available on the 7th generation.

In any case, I'm glad that they added the rearview camera to the My Link system for 2013, but I feel they should have included a warning system as well with the rearview camera just in case you're getting too close and you're not looking at the camera.

#22 ·
Just purchased a 2013 1LT based on having rented a 2012 2LT on a trip last month. Personally think visibility to the rear is not good in both (previous car was 2001 Cavalier). Really wanted a 2012, but couldn't find what we wanted. Got 2013 for the advantages it brought to us: power passenger seat and rear camera! Have only driven the 2013 for one day, but the rear camera is wonderful and a big help!

#24 ·
Do have a rear camera question! Owner's manual talks to "guide lines" and shows on to turn them on. However, I cannot get any guide lines to pop up on the display to select. Car is a 1LT. Do the guide lines only come up on a higher model?
On My 13 Bu Eco, I had the guide lines and a much clearer camera, it was HD quality in comparison to the camera on the 2013 2LTZ I just purchased. The guideline feature on the LTZ has been removed.

Although the manual says it exists, the feature is not available in setup per the manual.

Tre'

#25 · (Edited)
I have the Eco and no guide lines. I believe the guide lines were only on the ones with navigation. I believe they changed the navigation radio though because you used to not be able to do bluetooth audio or Pandora with the navigation radio either and I believe you can now. Is that corect mzodarg? You have navigation in yours right?

Here is a thread where we were discussing the guide lines before. http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10887&highlight=guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.