Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

door trigger switch

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  shivers836 
#1 ·
im looking to wire up some led ghost lights or shadow lights they are sometimes called. i am hoping i dont have to run wires all the way from behind the door panel to the fuse box. is there a power source and door trigger switch behind the door panel that i can splice into? from the research i did it looks like a 7 pin connecter is plugged into the door latch unit itself. which of them wires would work if any? thanks in advanxe for any info.

#2 ·
If you don't mind using the power mirror 12V supply that is protected with a 2A fuse then you could use that as the power. Unfortunately the rest of the signals coming from the driver's door lock/latch assembly is all grounds. The power windows get power only when in ACC or RUN.

Even the dome lights are controlled in a weird manner but they work. The power is fed to them from (wait for it . . . . . . . .) the trunk. It is runs through the BCM but is essentially hot at all times. The ground is where the BCM controls the dome lights, keeping them on after the last door closes and then dimming them slowly. If you want to have your new lights operate the same as the dome lights then you'll need to run 2 wires into each door, the courtesy B+ (Battery positive, 10A fuse) and the courtesy lights BCM control wire, which can be found at any dome light as a purple or gray wire, depending on how far away you're looking and your trim level. Once you extend them into each door it's a simple matter of hooking up the LEDs properly and they'll illuminate in the same manner as the dome lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.